Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign CJ Smith (UMass-Lowell LW)

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
blue collar huh - i think Murray being able to offer him 5 games immediately, that's $55K, plus the $92.5K signing bonus which I assume is also paid immediately meant more than the city being blue collar. not to mention the roster depth isn't great, he sees who needs to beat out and it's not that intimidating.

The blue collar thing is always weird. Is buffalo really any more of a blue collar city than anywhere else?

Oh, like how Vesey and Eichel were buds?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The blue collar thing is always weird. Is buffalo really any more of a blue collar city than anywhere else?

Oh, like how Vesey and Eichel were buds?

Oh yeah, Buffalo is extremely blue collared compared to major cities like Chicago, NYC, LA, etc.... Not sure if it's anymore blue collared than any of the other Rustic Belt cities.... I don't take vacations to the like of Cleveland very often.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Vesey just reinforces the trend that these longtime NCAA guys aren't elite prospects unless they're Jack Eichel and only spending a year there. Back when we got Vesey and he was suddenly a surefire top 6 weapon and Jack's true complement on the wing, some of us were looking at his comparables and saying hell, a lot of these guys don't even turn into elite minor leaguers. Maybe 20% carve out an NHL career. Winning a Hobey Baker at age 22 or 23 and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee in the NHL, and you could see that trend over a couple decades.

Nice to have a lottery pick, but a guy with CJ Smith's pedigree is a minor league player until proven otherwise IMO.

Cue all the snarky guys going do you even watch him, and of course I ****ing don't. But all the wiseacres who tried that line about Vesey all last summer and how he was a future 40 goal scorer should learn something about what your observations are worth watching guys light up that level of league. I recall a lot of specific promises that if you just watched him with one's keen scouting eye, it was easy to see he was at least a 30 goal scorer at the NHL level. Pshaw.

That's an awfully long and wound up post to say you'll reserve judgment on him since these types of players don't always work out. :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Most UDFA don't work out. Similarly most low round draft picks don't work out. But that doesn't mean that you stop trying. If you stop trying they will never work out. And that is just stupid.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Most UDFA don't work out. Similarly most low round draft picks don't work out. But that doesn't mean that you stop trying. If you stop trying they will never work out. And that is just stupid.

I don't know if you were referring to my post, but I meant "work out" in the sense that there was something made of Murray bringing in one of Vesey's buddies (Fitz) would hopefully encourage Vesey to sign. I certainly don't think Murray drafted Fitzgerald or signed Smith to get their more ballyhooed buddies sign, but it could have auxiliary benefits.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I haven't really been in tune with college free agents this year. Does anyone have any career projections for Smith? What's his skill set?

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York

Not to get off topic, but I absolutely can't believe this.:amazed:

I went to college in Iowa and hockey was pretty popular there. Everybody loved the USHL team in town and there were plenty of outdoor rinks. And that's in one of the smaller cities.

Anyway, I like the signing. Can't hurt.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't know if you were referring to my post, but I meant "work out" in the sense that there was something made of Murray bringing in one of Vesey's buddies (Fitz) would hopefully encourage Vesey to sign. I certainly don't think Murray drafted Fitzgerald or signed Smith to get their more ballyhooed buddies sign, but it could have auxiliary benefits.
Not your post it all Zip. Just pointing out the people who are *****ing about UDFA being good or not it's just silly.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
It's like people *****ing about Japanese baseball players. It's an avenue for prime age, cost controlled, potentially day1 contributors that don't cost assets beyond cash/cap.

Even if they're 25-30 point dudes, free rotation level guys are a great thing.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's like people *****ing about Japanese baseball players. It's an avenue for prime age, cost controlled, potentially day1 contributors that don't cost assets beyond cash/cap.

Even if they're 25-30 point dudes, free rotation level guys are a great thing.

Posters don't understand a lot of things related to asset management and efficiency

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Don't know anything about the guy..but it's encouraging that Murray is able to reel in college free agents. The allure of immediate playing time no doubt played a role. I don't buy the blue collar comment because I wouldn't label our style of play as blue collar. Buffalo has the most efficient power play in the league. They haven't exactly been scratching and clawing for goals. While still in the bottom 3rd in scoring, I haven't seen it as a problem in the latter half of this year. They just needed Jack back. I guess they have a couple physical guys but that's the only thing that is "blue collar" about them. But however if that's what brought him in, I'm okay with him thinking that.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

When one door closes, another opens. It was a disappointing end to the season for UMass-Lowell. The River Hawks had won the Hockey East Tournament and were ranked fourth in the country, but they fell short of reaching the Frozen Four, losing to Notre Dame in overtime of the Northeast Regional Final.

But opportunity presented itself to C.J. Smith and the junior decided to skip his senior year and sign with the Buffalo Sabres. The forward was among those also making the leap from college hockey to the pros. He joined the Sabres at practice on Thursday. After the team was off on Friday, he is expected back at practice Saturday and should make his pro debut Sunday when the Sabres host the New York Islanders in KeyBank Center.

"He's always been able to score but I think he's developed his 200-foot game," UMass-Lowell Coach Norm Bazin said. "It's not something that came easily. He worked on his play away from the puck and once he continued to work hard on his two-way game, his offense improved. His biggest asset is his passion for the game. He loves to play. He seems to get more consistent every year. He's improving with every year and that's a good sign that his upside is yet to be determined."

Of course, Bazin wished he had one more season to help Smith develop that upside, but again, the name of the game is seizing opportunities. "I think from the standpoint of a college coach, you always want the kid to come back and finish a degree and get 30 goals," Bazin said. "But we wish him well. I don't know a lot about Buffalo, but they have a lot of young talent and I think it's a terrific fit. I think C.J. will grow with the organization and be able to be a strong asset."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/31/new-sabre-c-j-smith-developed-two-game-umass-lowell/

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
To Chain and Struck's point, we never want management to eschew "fliers" on cost-controlled
Assets available for cheap. Keep the contracts in the mid-40s and roll the dice. The downside risk is negligible.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not to get off topic, but I absolutely can't believe this.:amazed:

I went to college in Iowa and hockey was pretty popular there. Everybody loved the USHL team in town and there were plenty of outdoor rinks. And that's in one of the smaller cities.

Anyway, I like the signing. Can't hurt.

I'm surprised by that stat too. It may be where players were born, not where they were raised. Iowa gets winter weather. It's a natural hockey environment like minnesota and wisconsin.

Also with the way things work now-a-days how many NCAA players remaining in college for four years after being drafted is going to "**** over" the team drafting them? Most college players drafted with high picks are going to be signed long before they ever have a chance to complete their NCAA eligibility. The exceptions are largely going to be players that teams were hesitant to sign before they reached that point and, frankly, if a team knew it had four entire years to sign a first round pick and opted to wait until he was within view of free agency to try to sign him in earnest, they have no one to blame but themselves. And when it comes to players who were first rounders and don't sign, teams get compensatory picks for them.

When a player was a mid to late round pick and doesn't sign? Those picks are a crap shoot anyway. Every team passes on signing guys that it's drafted in that range every few years. So on an extremely rare occasion it's the player that opts to not sign rather than the team? It's a minor loss of an asset that, if chance had broken differently, would've ended up lost for other reasons.

I mostly agree.....

Drafting 4th round and later on college players or europe players are a better ROI because you have around 4 yrs to watch them vs 2 years for CHL players. They we r drafted later because they likely need more development.

Still, outside of goalies, getting a top 6/top 4 from college drafted 4th round or later is very very rare.

I believe for college players, if you don't draft them when they are 20 0n Sept 15 drafted year, I think you can draft them till they leave college at 22-24. If all they had was 1 college year they likely had a limited role.

Of course you always have a Vesey type who was a 1st/2nd/3rd round pick who may feel they have a better chance in the nhl not on the team that drafted them. A college player may opt for ufa if team doesn't give a max ELC contract.

How many refuseto sign??? maybe 1 or 2 each year ????

Over the last 15 years the college game has improved,so sccess of undated players is limited.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I've been wondering why he hasn't been called up yet with his production so far. Could he be viewed in a better light than Bailey or Baptiste and is getting the Guhle treatment? As in they are working on his game and letting it blossom in the minors, so when he finally gets called up he stays up. (Taylor's comments on Guhle's development and what I'm calling the Guhle treatment). Or am I reading too much into this?

EDIT: Watch he gets called up for Saturday's game after his huge game Friday. :laugh:

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
You might be giving them too much credit. Guhle didn't look too impressive in camp this year. Might just be a "Well ya know Guhle, ya gotta earn it!" And then pats self on back for acquiring so much "depth."

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Maybe there's some similarity, but Guhle's a few years younger and a defenseman too. I'm not sure it's a perfect analogy. Smith is probably more in the same boat with Fasching. They're both a couple of years older than Guhle, but still a bit raw in terms of having professional experience. Granted, Fasching's had a slower start to the season, but I'm not sure it's a huge leap. Guys like Bailey and Baptiste, on the other hand, have two full years of pro experience and get treated differently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad