Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign CJ Smith (UMass-Lowell LW)

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The good news is everyone should be on a clean slate with a new coach. He has as good an opportunity as anyone.

Vlad Sobotka's slate, now that Housley is gone...
images

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Nope.

Even if he is given an RFA qualifying offer, he is free to sign with a team in Europe, should he so desire.

My reply was in regards to the rumor floating around early this week that Larsson had signed in Sweden. His agent debunked the rumor and said that Larsson intends to carry on in the NHL.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I think we as fans are a bit cautious with graduations after getting burned the lack of success of recent Rochester graduates, some after moderate success (e.g. Bailey, Baptiste), others with only brief glimpses of success (e.g. Girgensons, Grigorenko), and yet other times being completely fooled by career AHLers that just weren't quite good enough for the NHL (Brennan, Mancari).

But I don't think recency bias should cloud our judgement, Smith has the tools, mind, and record of minor league production to be a productive player at the next level, as @Jame said, give me a bottom 6 line with him, Larsson, and Erod all day.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 2, 2019) ---
The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward C.J. Smith to a two-year contract with an AAV of $700,000.

Smith (5’10”, 184 lbs., 12/1/1994) recorded 58 points (28+30) in 62 games for the Rochester Americans (AHL) in 2018-19, ranking second on the team in goals and points and third in assists. He also contributed four game-winning goals and led all Amerks skaters with a plus-26 rating.

Signed by Buffalo as a free agent in March 2017, Smith also scored his first two NHL goals during the 2018-19 season. The Des Moines, Iowa native has recorded three points (2+1) in 13 career NHL games and 102 points (45+57) in 119 career AHL contests. In his first full professional season in 2017-18, Smith was selected as the Amerks’ Rookie of the Year and earned MVP honors at the 2018 AHL All-Star Challenge

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
By all accounts he had developed a very fine all around game down in Rochester. Seems like the kind of player that can excel in a bottom six role and make the fancy stats crowd happy. Hoping to see him up with the big club full time this season.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Even if he doesn't ever become a full time top 9 forward having a guy who can help lead the offense on your AHL farm club and not look out of place in call ups is not a bad thing to have.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Great article about CJ's journey and the support he received from his family. It was published last March.
Sabres prospect C.J. Smith lands opportunity after long journey

Liz Smith said her gut told her it was the right decision. Her son, C.J., had outgrown the competition around Des Moines, Iowa. The family wanted to find out if he had a future in hockey.

So to test C.J.’s talents, part of the family left Iowa and moved to Minnesota, a hockey hotbed, when he was in eighth grade.

“We were going to give it a shot, and if it didn’t work, it didn’t work,” Liz Smith said.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How’s he been this year? Based on last season, I’d have no issue with him taking Sheary’s spot. Like, today.

Spotty. He started off sluggishly. Perhaps being an early cut bothered him, not sure, but he's not had a consistent season. That said, I'd put him on the Isle of Misfit Toys with Dea and Oglevie without batting an eye.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Spotty. He started off sluggishly. Perhaps being an early cut bothered him, not sure, but he's not had a consistent season. That said, I'd put him on the Isle of Misfit Toys with Dea and Oglevie without batting an eye.

In Rochester or Buffalo?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Maybe the Misfits Toys will get some playing time once the Broken Toys are jettisoned in February...

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In Rochester or Buffalo?

Maybe the Misfits Toys will get some playing time once the Broken Toys are jettisoned in February...

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant give them some run in the NHL to see if there is anything there. The reference to the IoMT line is the ersatz "4th" one in total icetime most nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad