Prospect Info: Sabres sign Brandon Biro (C/LW,Penn State) - Recalled 11/29/23

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Can't block guys. Heard it so many times. The two best forwards in Rochester are Kulich and Rosen, but Biro gets the nod. I get it. He deserves it. Works hard. He did everything he could, but he's 25, and he will never be more than a 4th liner in the NHL, at best. I'm happy for him and want him to succeed, but part of me wonders when the loyalty card wears out and winning is the number one priority. I know I'll get torn to shreds for this, but I really want the focus on the talent. Maybe he can take faceoffs and there is some other upside. He is not exactly a huge presence.

Judging by preseason games thus far, he seems like he has a leg up on 13 spot.

Preseason is meaningless

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Can't block guys. Heard it so many times. The two best forwards in Rochester are Kulich and Rosen, but Biro gets the nod. I get it. He deserves it. Works hard. He did everything he could, but he's 25, and he will never be more than a 4th liner in the NHL, at best. I'm happy for him and want him to succeed, but part of me wonders when the loyalty card wears out and winning is the number one priority. I know I'll get torn to shreds for this, but I really want the focus on the talent. Maybe he can take faceoffs and there is some other upside. He is not exactly a huge presence.

Preseason is meaningless
we got enough high event forwards who are not that good defensively, why not call someone up who fits what they need at the moment, its better to let the top prospects work a bit more on the D side.
and if not for the WHL rules it would have been Savoie who is probably in from of those 2 as well.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
we got enough high event forwards who are not that good defensively, why not call someone up who fits what they need at the moment, its better to let the top prospects work a bit more on the D side.
and if not for the WHL rules it would have been Savoie who is probably in from of those 2 as well.

Who says Biro is good defensively? He looks very average all around. I hope he makes himself into something good so I can change the nameplate on my#15 Eichels.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Not every prospect is going to be top line or bust. Every team needs role players in the bottom six that provide winning value within the salary structure. The sabres need to be as good at developing bottom six players as well as top 6, even if they end up being traded. We have a number of prospects coming up against the AHL to NHL development point. Finishing their development into the NHL gives them value. If you don't have a long-term spot for them, they can be traded, but leaving them 90% developed and losing value as top AHL players when they are 24-25, is poor asset management IMO.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Also funny that of the three UDFA on that Penn State line, Biro was least sought and yet is the first to make it to the show. I wouldn't be surprised if Limoges gets some reps with the Caps being whatever the Caps have become and Sucese isn't even with an NHL affiliated AHL team. Good on BB.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Just wanted to pop in and say how proud I am of Biro. Here's a guy that busted his ass and clawed his way through the ranks all the while battling constant injuries. He should have gotten a shot at least a year or two ago but better late than never.

I could totally see him stick around in the NHL and have himself a nice little career as a late-bloomer along the lines of Paul Byron.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Just wanted to pop in and say how proud I am of Biro. Here's a guy that busted his ass and clawed his way through the ranks all the while battling constant injuries. He should have gotten a shot at least a year or two ago but better late than never.

I could totally see him stick around in the NHL and have himself a nice little career as a late-bloomer along the lines of Paul Byron.
I've compared his career projection to Brian Flynn. (Hopefully he'll score more and play more games).

A lot depends on injuries with him.

Reactions: elchud

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

He played a couple of years ago. One game. He’s now PPG for his career

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
If I am not mistaken, we can keep Biro for nine games and then send him down again, and he doesn't have to clear waivers. It's the 10th game that triggers hitting the wire again.

I'm not sure he clears waivers again. If he is a legit bottom 6 option the rest of the year, maybe 9 games at a time is the best way to handle him.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If I am not mistaken, we can keep Biro for nine games and then send him down again, and he doesn't have to clear waivers. It's the 10th game that triggers hitting the wire again.

I'm not sure he clears waivers again. If he is a legit bottom 6 option the rest of the year, maybe 9 games at a time is the best way to handle him.
I think you're confusing a couple things. The 9-game limit applies to players who sign 1st contract at age 18 or 19. Biro was older, so that doesn't apply. Moreover, enough pro seasons have elapsed since he signed such that he is indeed subject to waivers. HOWEVER, I am pretty sure he is an (emergency) injury call-up for Benson, so that would make him waiver exempt.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Reactions: elchud

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I think you're confusing a couple things. The 9-game limit applies to players who sign 1st contract at age 18 or 19. Biro was older, so that doesn't apply. Moreover, enough pro seasons have elapsed since he signed such that he is indeed subject to waivers. HOWEVER, I am pretty sure he is an (emergency) injury call-up for Benson, so that would make him waiver exempt.

Of course, I could be wrong.

I yoinked this from capfriendly

Exemptions
A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, OR has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b) (Despite the CBA reference saying 30 days AND 10 games, the rule is actually 30 days OR 10 games)

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Moreover,

You can't just send him down after 29games or 9 games and have the clock start over again the next time you recall him. The CBA states "cumulative" and "since last clearing waivers", not "consecutive" or "since last recall".

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I hope we use a spot or two to rotate deserving AHL prospects thru. Its an important development and motivational tool.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: