Sabres Should Get Back In Touch With Mike Babcock

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I know things fell apart a few years ago between both sides......Say what you want about him but in the end he knows what a winning program looks like and knows what it takes to win at the pro level....

Give him a couple years to implement his scheme and program and if they still don't show anything you can tear it down......At least that way you know you tried everything and didn't give up prematurely...

This team has nothing under Ralph Krueger

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I'd take him in Buffalo over Krueger, but my preference is Gallant/Boudreau, maybe even Julien first

In reality, the Pegulas won't fire Krueger and this team that desperately needs a true #1 goalie (or at least a backup better than Carter Hutton) and an experienced NHL coach will continue drowning for the foreseeable future

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Sounds like a great idea, bring in the guy who is widely considered to be a bully and watch a guy like Eichel run as soon as he can.

You don't know for sure that would be the case...

Mike Keenan was even more of a controversial guy than Babcock is and he always got results as a mercenary coach ....Some guys just know what it takes to win and get results.....

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I'd take him in Buffalo over Krueger, but my preference is Gallant/Boudreau, maybe even Julien first

In reality, the Pegulas won't fire Krueger and this team that desperately needs a true #1 goalie (or at least a backup better than Carter Hutton) and an experienced NHL coach will continue drowning for the foreseeable future

Those are good choices too...Laviolette would of been a great fit too....Babcock a bit like Keenan back in the day...Controversial but a very good coach.....

Reactions: Devonator

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
GM Jack Eichel would have to terminate his position as GM if Mike Babcock brought his gud pro mentality into that locker room. Can't have 2 huge egos in the same room.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Sounds like a great idea, bring in the guy who is widely considered to be a bully and watch a guy like Eichel run as soon as he can.

It's time IMO to stop catering to this diva. This is his what, 5th coach, and 3rd GM? And yet again this season, he is coasting and looks like he has a major attitude at all times. Like the first goal tonight

He fails to tie up his man and takes no responsibility and tries to blame Dahlin.. Where is his personal accountability? He can coast and pout and then put in efforts like that in his own end and only score 3 goals? This guy is a complete individual and not a team player. Babcock would be perfect for him if he let him put his ego in check.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019

Why won't they fire Krueger? It's obvious he's coaching a different sport

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
It's time IMO to stop catering to this diva. This is his what, 5th coach, and 3rd GM? And yet again this season, he is coasting and looks like he has a major attitude at all times. Like the first goal tonight

He fails to tie up his man and takes no responsibility and tries to blame Dahlin.. Where is his personal accountability? He can coast and pout and then put in efforts like that in his own end and only score 3 goals? This guy is a complete individual and not a team player. Babcock would be perfect for him if he let him put his ego in check.

it does seem like Eichel's patience is wearing thin. He is a winner, must be very frustrating to see Buffalo spinning its wheels

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
GM Jack Eichel would have to terminate his position as GM if Mike Babcock brought his gud pro mentality into that locker room. Can't have 2 huge egos in the same room.

Who cares, Buffalo shouldn't cater to Eichel and trade him if he's in the way. Look at how well the Islanders did going from Tavares to Team and that was after losing an Eichel level player for nothing

Use Eichel to get back a well balanced roster with a solid two way C and let Cozens and Mittelstadt step up. Buffalo could successfully transition into a team by committee

Reactions: Another AZ

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Why won't they fire Krueger? It's obvious he's coaching a different sport

The Pegulas always make coaching/GM changes a year or two after they're due, exactly when all the best candidates are no longer available

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I would recommend anyone stay away from Mike Babcock. It’s not even the bullying accusations. He is just to rigid and unadaptable as a coach.

He has his own philosophies as a coach which is fine but he is unwilling to step outside those ideas or try new things when his ideas aren’t working. He also won’t mold himself to his team or management and expects them to mold to him. Several times he threw his GM under the bus with the Leafs after Dubas took over.

Because of his refusal to adapt he was completely out coached by Cassidy in the playoffs a couple years ago.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I would recommend anyone stay away from Mike Babcock. It’s not even the bullying accusations. He is just to rigid and unadaptable as a coach.

He has his own philosophies as a coach which is fine but he is unwilling to step outside those ideas or try new things when his ideas aren’t working. He also won’t mold himself to his team or management and expects them to mold to him. Several times he threw his GM under the bus with the Leafs after Dubas took over.

Because of his refusal to adapt he was completely out coached by Cassidy in the playoffs a couple years ago.

I hate this take because it makes it sound like he held us back his entire time. He held us back when the team was ready to take the next step and he wasn't willing to let them. But he was 100% instrumental.. Like what we have today does not happen without Babcock. He came into a team that had missed the playoffs for a decade. The culture was rotten. Losing was accepted.

The first season behind the bench, the Leafs iced 50 something different players. He made a team that took a lot of nights off work their asses off each night that tanking year. Then he kept it going and formed good habits in the kids. They eventually came to hate him, and so will the Sabres.. But they absolutely need a big ego type to go into that room and straighten it out.

If Babcock had a few years and could turn the attitude and culture around in there he would be worth every penny. What is the alternative? Hire more no name coaches who couldn't hack it elsewhere or ones who have been beyond their best before date for a decade before?

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

If you truly in think he is a diva brining Babcock in won't change that, it will just drive him out of town at the earliest possible opportunity.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
The Pegulas always make coaching/GM changes a year or two after they're due, exactly when all the best candidates are no longer available

Yeah but this is Dallas Eakins in Edmonton bad, Krueger is managing the team like a second rate football club and he came in with a preconceived notion that a 9 million dollar top 6 player was not a top 6 player and is sabotaging the team to validate it. I'm a neutral fan and it's one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life. Their offense is literally try to get headers off long volleys from midfielders except the long volleys are shots from the point or outside and headers are deflections that don't materialize

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad