Sabres Should Get Back In Touch With Mike Babcock

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Buffalo fans turned on Krueger real quick.

As for Babs, I believe it came down to his wife/kids wanting to live in Toronto vs living in Buffalo.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Krueger seems like he would make a good assistant, just doesn't seem to be head coach material

I do wonder if the Sabres struggles of recent years will maybe convince a team give Bylsma a go. He seems to have gotten the most out of that team compared to the other coaches that have been through there

Reactions: Gjman2019

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ristolainen, Girgensons, and McCabe make 3.

I was going from 2012-2013, maybe I didnt follow the discussion enough. Missed Girgensons, though. Or, more precisely, I mistakenly thought he left as a UFA this summer.

hanshin44

Mar 17, 2017
As a Red Wings fan I'll tell you one thing: Don't sign Babcock.
He's not a bad coach, but for all his proven "winning" there is a history of missed chances. Red Wings prospects got stagnated and never got to crack the roster, lines were constantly changed, and players were not properly utilized. Those Wings teams in his last years with the team were mediocre and held back by his coaching. He achieved five first round exits in his last six years, and one year without.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Claude Julien would be a better fit, he was able to pull together an extremely solid team in Boston. Tortorella if he becomes available would be as well. Buffalo needs above all else a competent coach who won't play favorites and will put players where they'd have the most to offer. That means Skinner with Eichel, Hall driving his own line from the wing, Dahlin being leaned on to rush the puck and be creative offensively. Right now its like they're trying to gaslight their own players and put them at odds with themselves.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Kruger is going to get unfairly blamed for being dropped into a very difficult division. In a normal year, they would have had a chance to make the playoffs. Also, Therrien is on the Flyers staff. Julien, Babs or Boudreau would all be good.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
Sabres need a president of hockey operations and a new (good) coach. The Pegulas run the Bills extremely well but the Sabres are the exact opposite, hence the need for a hockey opps president. They really don't know what they're doing in this sport. Also that O'Reilly trade was complete garbage and set the organization back quite a bit. The players are poisoned by losing, it's just constant every single year. There are more problems in addition to what I mentioned but those are the most important things right now. They also seem to lack a true leader on the ice. I love Jack Eichel but he's not much of a leader to me. Other than him they have zero leadership. It's been quite painful to be a Sabres fan the past 10 years, growing up they were competitive almost every year.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
"a bully". so ridiculous. these are grown men
Some of the stuff he has allegedly done (by players who have played under him) is stuff that wouldn't fly in the f***ing military today. Yes, professional sports is not directly comparable to your normal every day job, but humiliating your subordinates to establish who is the boss is not 21st century.
One time during warm-up before a game against Colorado, and at that time one warm-up player did not get to play in the game, he pointed at me and said: "You're not playing". So I start to change, but then he asks: "What the hell are you doing?". I just replied that he told me I wasn't playing. Then I had to go and change in the shower instead. This was the kind of things he was doing.
- Tony Mårtensson

That doesn't sound to me like stuff you pull on a grown ass men. Or anyone for that matter.

Reactions: Another AZ

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Honestly he wouldn’t be bad for the Sabres. Babs is a floor raiser, he can take a team that’s terrible and get them to play semi decent hockey. Now if you want to take the next step he’s awful, but Buffalo is like 20 steps away from that. He could come in and help turn the tide for a couple of seasons

Julien is also a good option, he’s a guy who can get the most out of the parts you give him

Reactions: Another AZ and PAZ

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
As a Red Wings fan I'll tell you one thing: Don't sign Babcock.
He's not a bad coach, but for all his proven "winning" there is a history of missed chances. Red Wings prospects got stagnated and never got to crack the roster, lines were constantly changed, and players were not properly utilized. Those Wings teams in his last years with the team were mediocre and held back by his coaching. He achieved five first round exits in his last six years, and one year without.

1) If the Sabres ever hire Babs I’ll stop all support of the team. Big deal, I know, and no one has to agree- but morally I just wouldn’t be cool with it.
2) He’s also a bit.. outdated, at best? Some argue he was gifted good teams for those championships, idk, but to me the game has changed so much and he hasn’t- like, Jesus, in what other industry do successes from 15 years ago imply success today? If it demonstrably still works, sure, but in Babs case it’s like we’ve gone from beepers to cell phones.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
The only man who can turn this around is Babcock particularly as for him he would want to get one over the Leafs with the Sabres when the opportunity arises e.g. perhaps bouncing them in the play-offs.

Krueger seems great as a coach in the World Championships when playing weak opposition and one-off games against powerhouses to a point.

I thought he'd do some good at Buffalo but I was very much mistaken. He needs to go.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Babcock is a 2020 bully, Mike Keenan was a bully back in the 80s/90s, he would rightfully be considered criminally abusive in today's NHL

Times have changed. The newer generation of players doesn't respond as well to these types of coaches as older generations did.
Coaches also can't get away with that stuff as easy anymore in times of social media and in 2021 where people have recognized how that kind of behaviour is no longer acceptable in the workplace in that form.

Thats why this idea is pretty horrible. What they need is better management. Before that any new coach is doomed. And then they need a younger coach that can get the best out of an enigmatic personality like Eichel and coach up the likes of Skinner or even Dahlin who looks a bit lost.
Easier said than done but the one guy that really doesn't fit the bill here is freaking Babcock.

Odds are a team will be desperate and stupid enough to give him another chance but I don't think he will ever come close to the type of success he had in Detroit.
He is a worse version of Mourinho to me. The game and time has passed him but an arrogant prick who thinks he can still do like he always did and that it is everyone elses fault that the results are nowhere near as good as they once were...

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Can Mike's ego accept coaching in Buffalo for a lot less money? Because the 50 million deals are done for him.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Kruger is going to get unfairly blamed for being dropped into a very difficult division. In a normal year, they would have had a chance to make the playoffs. Also, Therrien is on the Flyers staff. Julien, Babs or Boudreau would all be good.
In a normal year, they'd still be battling with Detroit and Ottawa for the bottom of the Atlantic. Don't kid yourself.

Reactions: LOFIN

hanshin44

Mar 17, 2017
The only man who can turn this around is Babcock particularly as for him he would want to get one over the Leafs with the Sabres when the opportunity arises e.g. perhaps bouncing them in the play-offs.

Krueger seems great as a coach in the World Championships when playing weak opposition and one-off games against powerhouses to a point.

I thought he'd do some good at Buffalo but I was very much mistaken. He needs to go.
I'm getting the feeling that a lot of people are giving Babcock all this credit without having experienced him coaching their team.
Babcock nearly resulted in Datsyuk and Zetterberg leaving the Detroit Red Wings, and only continually wasted his years with the Wings. Flip flopping lines every other game.
Leafs fans claimed he was their savior, and refused to listen when people said it was a mistake (including me at the time). Highest paid coach in the league when he went to Toronto and brought them nothing but first round exits.
I can nane five coaches who would do a better job and several of those being unattached.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Babcock is a dinosaur who succeeded riding a handful of hall of fame players. There was a time where he was a good idea for a coach but that time has passed imo.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Can Mike's ego accept coaching in Buffalo for a lot less money? Because the 50 million deals are done for him.

Toronto is paying him $5.8 mil till 2023. Any extra salary he ‘earns’ he actually doesn’t make, it just gets deducted from his paycheque from the Leafs. The issue is that if a team like Buffalo wanted to hire him for $2 mil and Babcock agrees, Toronto could still say no unless they offered 4 mil (just an example).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sign him if the plan is to move forward with vets (especially free agents). If the team is focused on youth and bringing up prospects look elsewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad