Post-Game Talk: Sabres @ Sens

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Patrick Wiercioch +3

the guy should not be sitting, it's that simple.

Can't believe they were going to play Boro before him, who plays on the PP?

Might have something to do with the fact that boro can actually play in his own end.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Weircioch has been underwhelming in most of the games he has played in. One good game against a bottom 5 team does not change my opinion of Weircioch.

When he starts playing good against teams with good defense, then i may change my opinion on him.

Actually, I think Wiercioch's game is starting to come around a lot more. He keeps it simple and can make a good first pass. Those are traits we do not have a lot of regarding our D. Cowen made a beauty pass tonight however and he is really starting to come along. Ceci has been kind meh the last two games, but he is a youngin.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am hoping these improvements stick for the Sens permanently. Now we probably won't make the playoffs, but if these improvements stick, we should be good to go come next season.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Ryan is overrated and not worth 7 million:sarcasm:
Phillips is not NHL material anymore:sarcasm:

Best game from Phillips this season. Wier would be good if he can buy speed and toughness from ebay. I think Hoffmann and Ryan needs speed at C, adding Pageau is clearly shows that. Very effective. Maybe when Lazar is back, its his spot ? Zibby can float at third line C.
Again, this game shows, that our D is actually can hold their own. Mistake here and there, nothing critical. But scoring is our biggest problem in a moment.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm liking wiercioch's game this year. He's been solid positionally and is the only LD on the team that can effectively move the puck up ice on his own. Despite a lack of foot speed, his shiftyness allows him to skate the puck up ice and open up passing lanes.

His "softness" is overstated. Watch clips of Corvo if you want to see soft. Wier may not be overly physical, but I don't' see him bailing on plays.

The only issue is his speed. He often moves just fast enough, a little faster and he'd have no pressure but instead he ends up in puck battles and having to make a pass along the boards to his partner.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So.....can't we get Weir whatever skating coach Stone had or something? If people think the kid still has potential, it seems skating is the one thing that needs to be upgraded if he wants more than a cup of coffee at this level.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
So.....can't we get Weir whatever skating coach Stone had or something? If people think the kid still has potential, it seems skating is the one thing that needs to be upgraded if he wants more than a cup of coffee at this level.

Barb Underhill made huge improvements to Matt Beleskey's skating. But you and Miklebot are correct - improve the skating and we have a pretty darned good dman in PW. He's not a bruiser, but he doesn't have to be if he can move the puck like that.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Random question, anyone know if the Gatineau McDonalds locations give a free big mac? Or is it strictly in Ottawa?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know it's "just" Buffalo, but they've actually run a pretty tight ship in the last month, so I'm happy the Sens were able to put up 4 goals on Enroth. A win is a win, and if we want the Sens in the playoffs we need to play like we did tonight.

I'm all about maintaining that false hope, so I was happy for the win. :D I have these competing voices in my head - one says to forget about the playoffs, but the other forces me to check the standings and say, "You know, if we sweep the weekend against Boston and Tampa..."

The Boro injury is just bizarre. Strangely enough, I was completing an on-line coaching course yesterday where we had to survey interactive photos of both a gym and an indoor field and play, "spot the hazard" - i.e. things like equipment left on the side of the field, water spilled on the floor, etc. Obviously Boro crashed into something that shouldn't have been there. Alternately, these guys need to find a different place to do their warm up other than the crammed hallways of the CTC. (If you've ever been down there, the place is a sea of maintenance equipment, etc.) Garrioch is reporting that it was a 60 stitch cut, and it was deep - yikes. He's out for about a month, you have to think...

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Anyone else notice that Mike Hoffman is at +15? The next closest Sen is +8. I don't care much for the +/- stat but I find that extremely interesting.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
While we on on the topic of Wiercioch, can someone teach him how to skate. He skates for open pucks with two hands on his stick and doesn't use his arms at all. Don't they teach you at the age of 6 to use our arms when skating.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
so.....can't we get weir whatever skating coach stone had or something? If people think the kid still has potential, it seems skating is the one thing that needs to be upgraded if he wants more than a cup of coffee at this level.

"dark rooooaastt!"

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Wiercioch's 5v5 GA/60 right now is 0.87.

The next closest among Ottawa defenders is Gryba at 1.92.

Obviously he's doing something right while he's out there.

WhiteLight*

But it doesn't matter. He's slow and weak therefore he's terrible and his game is hollier than George Weasley's ear

Can't argue with the slowness. Slowness automatically means you are bad defensively and means you have holes in your game. All the good players in the history of hockey were fast.

:sarcasm:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm liking wiercioch's game this year. He's been solid positionally and is the only LD on the team that can effectively move the puck up ice on his own. Despite a lack of foot speed, his shiftyness allows him to skate the puck up ice and open up passing lanes.

His "softness" is overstated. Watch clips of Corvo if you want to see soft. Wier may not be overly physical, but I don't' see him bailing on plays.

The only issue is his speed. He often moves just fast enough, a little faster and he'd have no pressure but instead he ends up in puck battles and having to make a pass along the boards to his partner.

This summarizes Wier very well. I love the posts where people state he loses board battles all the time and gets out muscled. I've been trying to see instances of this in the game but haven't seen it so far.

As stated, his number one issue, and one that could ultimately get him out of the league, is his skating.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

19 games is a small sample. That said, Wiercioch actually has the lowest GA/60 on our D over the last 3 years combined. Part of that is the deployment he was/is getting (though not nearly as sheltered this year, he still gets lots of OZ starts), but for all the complaining about his defensive game, it really hasn't resulted in goals against, and his 56% GF% shows he's a positive impact on the game.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I'm all about maintaining that false hope, so I was happy for the win. :D I have these competing voices in my head - one says to forget about the playoffs, but the other forces me to check the standings and say, "You know, if we sweep the weekend against Boston and Tampa..."

The Boro injury is just bizarre. Strangely enough, I was completing an on-line coaching course yesterday where we had to survey interactive photos of both a gym and an indoor field and play, "spot the hazard" - i.e. things like equipment left on the side of the field, water spilled on the floor, etc. Obviously Boro crashed into something that shouldn't have been there. Alternately, these guys need to find a different place to do their warm up other than the crammed hallways of the CTC. (If you've ever been down there, the place is a sea of maintenance equipment, etc.) Garrioch is reporting that it was a 60 stitch cut, and it was deep - yikes. He's out for about a month, you have to think...

A month:amazed:????

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just noticed that Karlsson's most frequent ES partner that game was Wier,

Other interesting tidbit, Phillips was paired with Gryba for half his ES toi, and had over 80% of the on ice shots (only two shot attempts against, one that made it to the goalie).

I know it's buffalo, but I hope we go with Wiercioch-Karlsson, Cowen-Ceci, and Phillips-Gryba until Methot is healthy, or at least give it a fair shake.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Just noticed that Karlsson's most frequent ES partner that game was Wier,

Other interesting tidbit, Phillips was paired with Gryba for half his ES toi, and had over 80% of the on ice shots (only two shot attempts against, one that made it to the goalie).

I know it's buffalo, but I hope we go with Wiercioch-Karlsson, Cowen-Ceci, and Phillips-Gryba until Methot is healthy, or at least give it a fair shake.

Yip, I'd go with these as well, although you are well aware of my apprehension of Phillips-Gryba pairing. A faster, more skilled team will expose that pair.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yip, I'd go with these as well, although you are well aware of my apprehension of Phillips-Gryba pairing. A faster, more skilled team will expose that pair.

Anymore than Wiercioch Gryba?

Not a lot of options right now. Maybe if Wier Karlsson works, we can reunite Methot Gryba when Methot comes back...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad