Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Victor Olofsson, 2 years/$3.05M AAV

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Great deal for the Sabres! I see Goalofsson as a budget version of Ovechkin. Maybe not the best two way forwards, but they will get your team some extra goals and thereby a better chance to win matches.

Also, very fun with a Swedish goal scorer. Not many of those worth mentioning throughout the NHL history. I really hope that he will take yet anothet step this season.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Dear Ben,

VO is a .8 PPG player, and without the injury he is prob close to 1.

ZG is a .3 PPG player.

This team has plenty of ZGs, and needs more VOs. Shutup and pay the kid.

Sometimes the analytics crew needs to THINK and not just GRAPH. So his Corsi Against is bad. Do we REALLY care that opponents get a few more shots against when he's on the ice if he's potting 35? Not every player is freaking Michael Peca.

Fancy charts aside, the main point is that most of his value came on the power play, and giving out a long term deal to a guy who wasn't very good at scoring goals even strength isn't necessarily a great idea.

Getting outscored by girgensons who played with Larsson and okposo, while playing with eichel and reinhart is not good.

That's not some "analytics chart " criticism, his even strength scoring was objectively poor. He can definitely improve, but you can't pretend he contributed that much outside the power play or that a player who is only effective on the power play should get a big contract

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
the players are helping him quite a bit by being reasonable too
If I'm not mistaken, this upcoming season they will be paid their contracts* regardless of whether the season is 40 games, 53 games, 68 games, 82 games. I think it's a huge leap to think a full 82-game season will be played, regardless of what the league & NHLPA say, and the media report. So, in some regards, the "reasonableness" of the players negotiations is offset by the likelihood they will "work less" for their pay this season, even accounting for 20% escrow or whatever the reduced HRR ends up being distributed as the players share.

But I get the sentiment you're expressing, and agree with that as well. This offseason doesn't seem to be the right time for an RFA to be obstinate.

*I'm aware the players aren't necessarily paid their contract amount.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
So, is that fact? As soon as I read he signed for 2 year I was wondering the same thing. RFA have 2 seasons?

Yes, it’s fact. He wouldn’t turn UFA until he turns 27 yrs old. Because his bday is mid July he will still be 26 when this contract expires. So he will have 1 more RFA year left.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Isn't that basically a less extreme version of laine's chart last year or 2 years ago? Didn't he improve a bit?

This chart is compares both players for this season:

Laine's metrics have been pretty consistent other than last year, he was a big time negative player a year ago.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
This chart is compares both players for this season:

Laine's metrics have been pretty consistent other than last year, he was a big time negative player a year ago.

Oh I thought he had moved to the positive side of a few more categories

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
The NHL is a totally different game with the speed and skill vs. the AHL and it probably took him quite a while to adjust to the even strength game.

He's obviously very committed, talented, has very good hockey IQ, and now has a season of NHL play experience under his belt and I wouldn't be shocked if his charts are skewed from some early season jitters/lack of experience and also wouldn't be shocked if his even strength numbers improve with more experience.

Not saying he's going to end up dominating at 5v5 but if he can improve defensively - which is often a mindset and discipline thing - I think he'll be a hell of a player.

Wouldn't be surprised if he scores more even strength goals either.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Fancy charts aside, the main point is that most of his value came on the power play, and giving out a long term deal to a guy who wasn't very good at scoring goals even strength isn't necessarily a great idea.

Getting outscored by girgensons who played with Larsson and okposo, while playing with eichel and reinhart is not good.

That's not some "analytics chart " criticism, his even strength scoring was objectively poor. He can definitely improve, but you can't pretend he contributed that much outside the power play or that a player who is only effective on the power play should get a big contract

This wasn't going to be a long term deal for him anyways. He was going to get a 1 or 2 year deal no matter what, for the simple fact that either one left him RFA at the end. The fact that he has 60 NHL games under his belt also told everyone that. Very few players get long term deals with restricted years in front of them.

The entire argument was a strawman to begin with.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
This wasn't going to be a long term deal for him anyways. He was going to get a 1 or 2 year deal no matter what, for the simple fact that either one left him RFA at the end. The fact that he has 60 NHL games under his belt also told everyone that. Very few players get long term deals with restricted years in front of them.

The entire argument was a strawman to begin with.
Oh gotcha. We're in agreement then on the term. Just feel different about the justifications

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Olofsson: "I feel like two years is the perfect deal for me right now"

The Contract
"It's kind of life changing for me. But at the same time, I know I can do even better... I'm really excited to be a part of this organization. I think we're building something great here. Two years is the perfect deal for me right now. Even though I feel very comfortable and confident in the NHL, I haven't had a full season yet. I don't really have that pressure of playing for a new contract right away, so it feels really good."

On adding Staal and Hall
They've been playing at a top level for very long. They're really good additions to our team. I think we have more guys that can put up some points and I feel like we're going to be a better team for sure this year. It feels a little bigger and a little heavier with those guys."

Line Combos
"You kind of imagine the lines and see where you fit in, but at the same time you have to play with the guys too and see if there's any chemistry there. However we do it, our top two lines are going to be really good and I feel like we'll get more secondary scoring this year."

Preparation
I felt like sometimes I got a little bit tired. I've been working on my endurance and trying to become even faster and even quicker out there."

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
If we don't mention the word "bridge" we can pretend the guy wasn't screwed.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Olofsson: "I feel like two years is the perfect deal for me right now"

Preparation
I felt like sometimes I got a little bit tired. I've been working on my endurance and trying to become even faster and even quicker out there."
I think that's an underrated aspect. Building strength is usually talked about because all of these guys are pretty aerobically fit, but if he feels he can improve in that venue could be a big boost. Different game when you're not sucking wind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad