Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Victor Olofsson, 2 years/$3.05M AAV

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He got less than he should have.
Thanks for clarifying.

I’m not sure how he is getting screwed, as you put it. He agreed to the deal.

the players are helping him quite a bit by being reasonable too
A lot of these deals are win/win IMO.

This wasn't going to be a long term deal for him anyways. He was going to get a 1 or 2 year deal no matter what, for the simple fact that either one left him RFA at the end. The fact that he has 60 NHL games under his belt also told everyone that. Very few players get long term deals with restricted years in front of them.

The entire argument was a strawman to begin with.

Its not a strawman argument since plenty of people have been advocating a longer term deal since January. Some still are in this thread, on twitter, etc.

Btw I agree that a 1 or 2 year deal was the likely outcome. But having debated this topic since January, I’m well aware of the amount of people that feel otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Club

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I think that's an underrated aspect. Building strength is usually talked about because all of these guys are pretty aerobically fit, but if he feels he can improve in that venue could be a big boost. Different game when you're not sucking wind

He also goes into his defensive play:

Olofsson said he believes there's plenty of room for improvement in his game.
"I'm looking to become an even better two-way player," he said. "I did become a lot better last year in the defensive part of my game, and I feel like that's something I can take pride in and do even better here. I always say I want to get better offensively ... and be even a bigger threat. Last year was probably the most minutes I've ever played in my career so far (18:23 average time on ice per game) and I felt like sometimes I got a little bit tired playing up to almost 20 minutes and even over 20 minutes sometimes. So I've been working very hard with my endurance and still trying to become even quicker and faster out there."

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Its not a strawman argument since plenty of people have been advocating a longer term deal since January. Some still are in this thread, on twitter, etc.

Btw I agree that a 1 or 2 year deal was the likely outcome. But having debated this topic since January, I’m well aware of the amount of people that feel otherwise.

I'm not sure how that matters, honestly. I'm not aware of any instances of message boards or the Twitterati having any influence over an NHL contract. :)

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
This is an awesome contract. And Adams>>Botts ainec but find it funny this is applauded so heavily and Botts was crucified for Reinharts bridge which was about half a mil more per season.

Since Darcy
1.Adams

2.Botts

3. Murray

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This is an awesome contract. And Adams>>Botts ainec but find it funny this is applauded so heavily and Botts was crucified for Reinharts bridge which was about half a mil more per season.

Since Darcy
1.Adams

2.Botts

3. Murray

LOL

No.

1. Murray - succeeded in destroying, failed in building
2. Botterill - failed in everything

TBD Adams - solid off-season, 0 games won/lost still. Too early to tell.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
LOL

No.

1. Murray - succeeded in destroying, failed in building
2. Botterill - failed in everything

TBD Adams - solid off-season, 0 games won/lost still. Too early to tell.

Moving Alex Nylander and bringing back a legit already top 4 RHD who projects as a bona fide top pairing dman is failing everything? Acquiring a f***ing 40 goal scorer for a 2+3+6 and Poo is failing?

Newsflash, Murray didn't need to tear down or destroy anything. Regier already started and completed that.

Tim Murray lost virtually every trade but 1 (The RoR one where he paid top value for an impending UFA) , traded 2 1sts in one of the best drafts of all time to get Lehner (total failure here) and E Kane (who luckily Botts recouped the 1st for). Dumbass Murray traded what was it, 2 2nds and McNabb for Fasching? You know, that same McNabb who is a #4 dman on an elite perennial cup contender?

Murray was GARBAGE. Botts ended up sucking pretty bad too but at least we got Jokiharju and Skinner for a virtual bust and collection of non 1st round picks. Skinner still has positive value and is still an elite goal scorer. Murray sucked and is far worse then Botts ainec.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't really need to relitigate Murray vs. Botts. I liked Murray's aggressiveness, getting ROR was a gem of a move. I fundamentally disagreed with his assessment of what made a good defenseman. And, more than anything, he really didn't seem to have the executive chops to run an organization. Botts may have had those executive chops, but made some genuinely suspect talent evaluations. Neither was up for the job, who cares who was worse?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Hmmm.... I searched and couldn't find anything on Tim Murrays' current status/employment. I'm not a very adept internet search kahuna mind you but something should have popped up. I mean I learned he's a scorpio and just turned 56 or so. LOL.

Is he even working in pro hockey these days?

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
This argument reminds of the Too High vs Too Hard debate in Major League.

And I'm over here like "Who cares, it's gone?"

This team has been a mess for the majority of the Pegula ownership. Neither Murray nor Botterill got the team even into the playoffs.

Move on, please.

Thank you.
Both had their share of good and bad trades. Both made their share of good and bad draft picks. Both had issues with roster construction.
In the end, both of them left us with a lot of top 10 picks.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
This argument reminds of the Too High vs Too Hard debate in Major League.

And I'm over here like "Who cares, it's gone?"

This team has been a mess for the majority of the Pegula ownership. Neither Murray nor Botterill got the team even into the playoffs.

Move on, please.
it’s like “tastes great” “less filling” only there’s no favorable Sabres comparisons. “Tastes swilly”, “leaves me bloated”.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad