Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Scott Wilson. 2 years, $1.05m AAV

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I like the signing if he's playing 4th line minutes...

gus - Larsson - Wilson 4th line sounds like a good mix tbh

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Ryan ****ing Reaves got $2.775M, Tim Schaller got $1.9M... With contracts like that out there I don't know why you would be willing to put your faith in an arbitrator. Besides, we have guys down in Rochester making $925k (Pilut, Oglevie, CJ Smith), how much do you think a good soldier like Wilson should have got?
I agree with your overall point. Just a pointing out that Pilut, Oglevie and Smith do not make nearly 1 million in Rochester. Pilut will get paid $70K in Rochester. Same with Oglevie. They’re on two way deals.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I agree with your overall point. Just a pointing out that Pilut, Oglevie and Smith do not make nearly 1 million in Rochester. Pilut will get paid $70K in Rochester. Same with Oglevie. They’re on two way deals.
We were playing Wilson in the top-6 last season. An arbitrator would've gone to town with that and made us pay 2.5 million for him. If we lost Wilson, who cares? Botterill handed this correctly, and many other GMs dealt with their arb players similarly.

Reactions: Paxon

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Honestly, who knows what Wilson could've gotten in arbitration. It's not like we've got a real solid history of arbitration cases that we can pull from. Last year only one player completed the arbitration process, while another had a hearing but settled before the ruling. The year before that, no one completed the process with one player having a hearing but settling. The year before that three players completed the process with another five settling after having a hearing. Before that one player completed the process (and that was when Sobotka had already signed to head to the KHL so I'm not sure there was really any alternative) and another had a hearing and settled. The year before that everyone settled (although I'm not sure anyone had a hearing).

That said, while there's not a ton of history to draw from, and it's hard to know how useful even that would be considering there are likely other variables at play that aren't really visible to the public (i.e. what arbitrator gets assigned), it certainly does seem that teams don't feel like it's worthwhile to complete the arbitration process, or even have a hearing. Outside of one aberration in 2015, with three players having arbitration rulings come down (and two of them were Ottawa players), in every other post lockout year that have been either 0 or 1 arbitration rulings. If teams thought they did well in arbitration, I would suspect that there would be more hearings and rulings, and you wouldn't see teams not qualify guys solely due to arbitration rights (which hasn't only happened in Wilson's case).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad