Confirmed Signing with Link: Sabres Re-Sign Marcus Foligno to 1 Year Deal ($2.25mill AAV)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
At least they didn't give him a raise. His last contract was so high for what he is.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Honest question, why one year? always seemed like a stud in his role to me.

Big-ish money but small term makes it palatable. Love this guy.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Only one year but seems like a lot of money for a 4th liner.

It is.

It's the same he made last year. His last contract was too much and this is probably the end of the road for him in Buffalo.

He was caught in the middle of the tank...playing a bigger role than he will going forward. So he was compensated for it and now isn't going to be used like he's compensated.

It's why he only got 1 year. Still an rfa so they have options with him after the year. But dude is a goner unless he wants to take money on a real contract that matches his role.

I think this was his unfortunate qualifying offer. He was smart to sign it since he isn't worth it and won't get it per year again.

SpookyHockey

Feb 11, 2010
If this is such an overpayment, why wouldn't the Sabres not offer him a qualifying offer and then negotiate a contract with less salary like the Devils did with Beau Bennett?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He was really good in the second half of last season. The Foligno-Larsson-Gionta line performed pretty well given their usage (lots of defensive zone starts, usually against good competition).

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If this is such an overpayment, why wouldn't the Sabres not offer him a qualifying offer and then negotiate a contract with less salary like the Devils did with Beau Bennett?

Because they can worry about it next year after they have more information about how he plays in what they are building up front.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think it was his rookie year or the year after Melrose had him #3 on the league's top power forwards, so I waited, and waited, and waited. I think he is what he is at this point. Seems like he puts up third line numbers though so that's something at least.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Only one year but seems like a lot of money for a 4th liner.

Okay I get this is only one year but Martin signs for 2.5 and is a hitting machine and our brass gets roasted for the move. Like I said I get that it's only one year but it's only 250K less. Just saying

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I still think Marcus has more upside potential. This is his chance to play for his next contract. No problem with a 1-year deal. Don't care if it's a little bit of over-payment this year.

BeTheBallDanny

Oct 30, 2013
I dont get the Marcus bash from buffalo fans here.... has consistently progressed his numbers since 2013... even outscoring Zemgus Girgensons last year despite being deployed in a more defensive role.

This is someone you want in your bottom 6 for a long time. Hopefully gets term next year at a low cap hit

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think it was his rookie year or the year after Melrose had him #3 on the league's top power forwards, so I waited, and waited, and waited. I think he is what he is at this point. Seems like he puts up third line numbers though so that's something at least.

Well that's other peoples problems for expecting anything like that out of him. He came in his rookie year and put up some unexpected numbers in his 15 games up. He was always a bottom 6 player. He can be a decent fill in for top 6 but its not where you want him to be long term.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Okay I get this is only one year but Martin signs for 2.5 and is a hitting machine and our brass gets roasted for the move. Like I said I get that it's only one year but it's only 250K less. Just saying

Marcus has a lot more skill than Martin and is a decent PK.

Edit: & I don't think 2.5 for Martin is something to be outraged about.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
maybe they're giving him a year to see if he can replace Kane in the power forward/forechecking role in the top 6. He's not a bad player, just in a bad situation. Got a big contract after showing a ton of promise in a short rookie stint, then regressed into what we can expect out of him. A bottom 6 and PK guy who can step into 2nd line duties for short periods of time.

He's this generations enforcer type player, skates hard and can chip in offensively, but is used as a bruiser who can answer the bell, plus he's a hometown kid with pedigree. Look at his fight page sometime, there's a reason there aren't many of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad