Confirmed Signing with Link: Sabres Re-Sign Marcus Foligno to 1 Year Deal ($2.25mill AAV)

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Foligno will win you games. He is a damn good 3rd liner with upside. Has a lot better hands than he gets credit for. Hoping Bylsma lets him play his game this year.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Foligno will win you games. He is a damn good 3rd liner with upside. Has a lot better hands than he gets credit for. Hoping Bylsma lets him play his game this year.

The game Bylsma had Foligno playing in the calendar year 2016 is the only game Foligno has business playing.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If this is such an overpayment, why wouldn't the Sabres not offer him a qualifying offer and then negotiate a contract with less salary like the Devils did with Beau Bennett?

Buffalo has a lot of system depth at winger coming up they have..

Fasching, Bailey, baptiste, carrier, Nylander and other recent draft picks

This isn't counting Vesey.

The uncertainty is what kind of winger is he..will he become a 20 goal or more power forward or an 8-12 g scorer who is more in line with being a 4th liner.

Sure they could negotiate a little Niger contract but at a lower price but he still has room he could grow into.

I think it was his rookie year or the year after Melrose had him #3 on the league's top power forwards, so I waited, and waited, and waited. I think he is what he is at this point. Seems like he puts up third line numbers though so that's something at least.

It was his rookie year. He got called up and was on fire. After his rookie year of 11/12 you had the coaching carousel and the tanking that moved him all over the place from 1st line winger to 4th line center. He got a little bit higher 2nd contract which has raised the QO for this year.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Id gladly take him at 2.25 over Dorsett. I guess most teams don't have a fourth liner making that much though.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Buffalo has a lot of system depth at winger coming up they have..

Fasching, Bailey, baptiste, carrier, Nylander and other recent draft picks

This isn't counting Vesey.

The uncertainty is what kind of winger is he..will he become a 20 goal or more power forward or an 8-12 g scorer who is more in line with being a 4th liner.

Sure they could negotiate a little Niger contract but at a lower price but he still has room he could grow into.

It was his rookie year. He got called up and was on fire. After his rookie year of 11/12 you had the coaching carousel and the tanking that moved him all over the place from 1st line winger to 4th line center. He got a little bit higher 2nd contract which has raised the QO for this year.

Auto-correct makes that look bad I'm guessing.

Why would we try to get his price down? It's a 1 year deal, we have the cap room, now it's up to Marcus. If he wants to be a part of the future it's time to show some consistency, if not there are probably 10 teams who would take a young power forward with RFA years left, so Foligno is doing what anyone in his position would do, take the qualifying offer and prove you're worth more.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
With Fasching and Bailey pushing their way up the depth chart, I look for Foligno to be trade bait during the season. The Sabres might want to keep a 4th defenseman spot reserved for the impending expansion draft. It would make it harder for them to protect Foligno.

Excepting the qualifying offer was probably best for both the player and the team.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I like it.

Marcus has been a player who has had stretches of beastly games, and then stretches of equally frustrating disappearance. If he solidifies himself as being the player he was the second half of last season, then it's good value, and maybe even due for a raise. He was awesome. If not, then Buffalo deals him.

SabreOil

Jul 23, 2013
Very happy with Foligno in our bottom 6 now and the future. Hopefully they lock him up next year.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Okay I get this is only one year but Martin signs for 2.5 and is a hitting machine and our brass gets roasted for the move. Like I said I get that it's only one year but it's only 250K less. Just saying

You nailed it -- less money and less term. And Foligno is a slightly better player with a little potential upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->