Post-Game Talk: Sabres @ Predators 7:00

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
That is just not true. You don't know that.

We have a better core and team than Buf. They don't have a Rinne or Weber.

Our defense is set. We need better forwards and a new face behind the bench, once that's done we will be fine

I don't think that he's been the same Rinne since the injury in Russia

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Sissons is growing on me. He does not look out of place. He needs to work on his FOs but he's big and has good instincts.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Our defense is set. We need better forwards and a new face behind the bench, once that's done we will be fine

He's exaggerating, but I would definitely be prepared for roster changes if a new GM and new coach come into the picture, and wouldn't be surprised at all to see a few "fan favorites" or guys we expect are "core" players being moved. New blood just won't necessarily value players the same way we do, or the way that we know Poile would (insert grinder joke here). That doesn't mean we'll become a Buffalo, but I think assuming we'll retain the defense (stars included) and goalie as is and just exchange our less appealing forwards for better ones is pretty optimistic.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Nicely done Preds, a fairly dominant win!! :handclap:

Congrats to Jarnkrok and Sissons! Those were both great shots.

Welcome to 2014 Colin Wilson! Stick around for a while.

Also, congrats to THE Captain, Weber on a 20 goal season!! Tied for first in the entire league in goals scored by a defenseman! Two goals, a +3 tonight, 6 shots (11 attempts) and a busted lip!

Every forward had at least one point tonight. Only Ellis, Ekholm, MDZ, Bartley didn't have a point for the night.

The most entertaining game in a looong time. Lots of sing-along time in the third period.

A little disappointed that for 2 games in a row we couldn't get someone their HT. But I'm just happy we have guys actually scoring 2 goals in a game.

Last edited:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

You might not have Rinne and Weber if you follow our rebuild model. We traded away Miller, Leopold, Regehr, Sekera, Vanek, Pomenville, Roy, Ott, Moulson in the last 13 months. Maybe not the best core assembled but was still a gutting of the franchise. Ehrhoff and/or Myers could be gone before next season as well. It's painful to watch :(

Good win tonight tho, congrats :) Hopefully you get the swift, effective retooling instead of full dismantle. Full season with Rinne could have changed everything.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Oh really

When Lindy Ruff was replaced the Sabres had

Earhoff, Tyler Myers there version of Weber Josi. Now Earhoff is a tier below Weber understood but still a good number 1 defenseman

They had Miller not a slouch in net

They had Vanek, Cody Hodgson there up and coming 1C Ennis, Roy, Gerbe I can go on.

The point is They had a serviceable team Changed the GM and coach and began the re-build. And if people here do not think this will happen here your mistaken. This team was built under the DP Trotz system other than Hitchcock theres not a coach In the league who matches up to the system currently in Nashville.

The defense core here will be good if they can be kept together here long term. I do not see that being the case one of Josi Weber or Jones will have to be moved by 2019 or 20. So this window is narrow.

So for those wanting change and really I am one of those be careful what you wish for because this team is so bad right now it will take a burn to the ground rebuild to get the team to the point where they can make it past round one or two in the playoffs.

I did not see the Buffalo fan above post but its prey much the same as I think.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I don't give a crap how bad we are for a couple of years after making a change at coach and gm. It can't be much worse than the past two years
combined with boring hockey.

Atleast it will give us fans something to have hope about. Sick of being mediocre!

With that said nice win by the Preds. They were bound to get a win at home at some point.
Why not against the worst team in the league with the worse goalie i have ever seen in the NHL.

In the meantime positioning itself for that lower midround first that they have recieved many many times.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I don't give a crap how bad we are for a couple of years after making a change at coach and gm. It can't be much worse than the past two years
combined with boring hockey.

Atleast it will give us fans something to have hope about. Sick of being mediocre!

With that said nice win by the Preds. They were bound to get a win at home at some point.
Why not against the worst team in the league with the worse goalie i have ever seen in the NHL.

In the meantime positioning itself for that lower midround first that they have recieved many many times.

I will take that if it means the team keeps winning. I'd take winning games, even if the team has no chance at the playoffs, over a tank for a high draft pick any day.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I will take that if it means the team keeps winning. I'd take winning games, even if the team has no chance at the playoffs, over a tank for a high draft pick any day.

I agree but I am not going to be ok with finishing at the bottom half of the league and tied for dead last in the central without wishing for change anymore.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Atleast it will give us fans something to have hope about.

Frankly, I'm convinced that this demand for some artificial source of "hope" and a demand for nonspecific change is the actual core motivation of the bulk of the Fire The Front Office camp, all other arguments and rationalizations be damned.

I submit that we all have those Delusions Of Faith, and that it is less potentially damaging to the team to put said delusion of faith in the current front office (which has a competent, if unspectacular track record) rather than going for some sort of appeasement sacrifice. :)

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Frankly, I'm convinced that this demand for some artificial source of "hope" and a demand for nonspecific change is the actual core motivation of the bulk of the Fire The Front Office camp, all other arguments and rationalizations be damned.

I submit that we all have those Delusions Of Faith, and that it is less potentially damaging to the team to put said delusion of faith in the current front office (which has a competent, if unspectacular track record) rather than going for some sort of appeasement sacrifice. :)

Yeah it's just earth shattering that sports teams change coaches and GM's. It just doesn't make sense after 15 years of nothing but 2nd round exits and the lastest with 2 losing seasons with top 10 picks.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah it's just earth shattering that sports teams change coaches and GM's. It just doesn't make sense after 15 years of nothing but 2nd round exits and the lastest with 2 losing seasons with top 10 picks.
Generally folks get fired for persistent failure, not persistent competence. :)

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Generally folks get fired for persistent failure, not persistent competence. :)

So by making the playoffs, they are competent? Half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs, whoopee do. Should we give them a gold star? This fan wants more than just making the playoffs. I want playoff wins.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So by making the playoffs, they are competent? Half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs, whoopee do. Should we give them a gold star? This fan wants more than just making the playoffs. I want playoff wins.

Yes. That qualifies as competent. You're confusing competence with greatness.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
So we should be satisfied with competent? Why? Leaving out the O6 since winning is always the expectation, do you think fans in other markets are happy with being competent?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So we should be satisfied with competent? Why? Leaving out the O6 since winning is always the expectation, do you think fans in other markets are happy with being competent?
I'd say competence is preferable to having these things backfire and the team end up worse off as a result, which recent history has shown is much more likely.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I'd say competence is preferable to having these things backfire and the team end up worse off as a result, which recent history has shown is much more likely.

Hey we get it Viq, and as you are a Jackets fan, I think we doubly get it. Sometimes competence is an achievement in and of itself.

That said, A lot of us other fans, are tired of watching a bland, dump and chase hockey, that sees the team we have invested in get beat consistently in 7 game series. Being consistently average, slightly above or slightly below, means we are simply a mediocre team. Not everyone is okay with being mediocre for 15 years. Not everyone is okay with the notion that we are incapable of winning a series that has meaning.

Whether it is GM or coach or both, something has to change because the team as it is currently constructed has been washed, rinsed, repeated ad nauseam here in Nashville. Something new probably has a high likelihood of failing. True. It also shows that the team is trying to take the next step in the evolution of the franchise.

If the GM or coach as currently construed have a better idea, let's see it. Unfortunately, we HAVE seen what their approach was. "Let's get back to Predator hockey," "Entertainment tax." Etc.

^ This has failed spectacularly for 2 years. It cost us a series against Phoenix. It led us to blow a huge amount of free agency dollars and resources on bums. It Failed for 2 years Viq. This was their master plan, and it failed spectacularly. Many of us said at the start of the season that this was Trotz/Poile's end game. They were going all in on "the Predator way", and it has us fighting for 20th-25th overall. This isn't competent. It is a failure.

How many chances does this duo get? Where is the accountability for failure? What is the new plan?

I would like to hear it.

We have already seen David Poile hedge that free agents wouldn't come here, that he would need to look to the trade market, etc., etc. <--- The same thing we have heard for the last 15 years.

Is anyone in Nashville willing to sell this city, sell this team, be proactive, create a new vision, or are we admitting that the only thing this team is ever capable of is playing dump/chase, grind it out, matchup based hockey with inferior offensive talent every year???

/end rant

Sorry that I used your post as a springboard. I respect your opinion tremendously and I look forward to reading your posts. However, I disagree that we should stand pat, again, this offseason in regards to upper level management. This team needs a new infusion of vision. Whether that be via replacing coach/gm/etc., it needs to happen.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Hey we get it Viq, and as you are a Jackets fan, I think we doubly get it. Sometimes competence is an achievement in and of itself.

That said, A lot of us other fans, are tired of watching a bland, dump and chase hockey, that sees the team we have invested in get beat consistently in 7 game series. Being consistently average, slightly above or slightly below, means we are simply a mediocre team. Not everyone is okay with being mediocre for 15 years. Not everyone is okay with the notion that we are incapable of winning a series that has meaning.

Whether it is GM or coach or both, something has to change because the team as it is currently constructed has been washed, rinsed, repeated ad nauseam here in Nashville. Something new probably has a high likelihood of failing. True. It also shows that the team is trying to take the next step in the evolution of the franchise.

If the GM or coach as currently construed have a better idea, let's see it. Unfortunately, we HAVE seen what their approach was. "Let's get back to Predator hockey," "Entertainment tax." Etc.

^ This has failed spectacularly for 2 years. It cost us a series against Phoenix. It led us to blow a huge amount of free agency dollars and resources on bums. It Failed for 2 years Viq. This was their master plan, and it failed spectacularly. Many of us said at the start of the season that this was Trotz/Poile's end game. They were going all in on "the Predator way", and it has us fighting for 20th-25th overall. This isn't competent. It is a failure.

How many chances does this duo get? Where is the accountability for failure? What is the new plan?

I would like to hear it.

We have already seen David Poile hedge that free agents wouldn't come here, that he would need to look to the trade market, etc., etc. <--- The same thing we have heard for the last 15 years.

Is anyone in Nashville willing to sell this city, sell this team, be proactive, create a new vision, or are we admitting that the only thing this team is ever capable of is playing dump/chase, grind it out, matchup based hockey with inferior offensive talent every year???

/end rant

Sorry that I used your post as a springboard. I respect your opinion tremendously and I look forward to reading your posts. However, I disagree that we should stand pat, again, this offseason in regards to upper level management. This team needs a new infusion of vision. Whether that be via replacing coach/gm/etc., it needs to happen.

Well said. I wish i had the time to put all my thoughts together like this .

Pretty much how i feel to a T.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

I would like to hear it.

/end rant

Nailed it, sir
/rant & /thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad