Friedman: Sabres Open For Business

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I stand corrected.

The point still stands- A Cup Winner and a guy who won coach of the year award... feel better?

Sure the only thing holding back the Sabres is Bylsma...
I mean Housley....
I mean Krueger.

Your point is still as clueless as ever

Ted Nolan won coach of the year exclusively because of Hasek, realistically the GOAT among NHL goalies

Phil Housely's last head coaching gig was coaching a Minnesota high school team before he became head coach of the Sabres

Dan Bylsma rode Michel Therrien's system to the only cup he won in Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh fans repeatedly made fun of his incomptence

Ralph Krueger had half a season NHL head coaching experience before he was hired by the Sabres. His claim to fame is getting a book deal because he won silver at a six-game tournament, that he turned into a chairmanship of an English soccer club

Not a single coach fired by the Sabres since drafting Eichel has gotten another head coaching gig. If like you seem to think, they were competent coaches, why haven't any other team picked them up to become a head coach?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Who are, or should the "untouchables" be on the Sabres?
Reason I am asking is I really like Olofsson and want him on the Devils.
Is he a core piece moving forward or would he available if a team inquired? I know that no one is really "untouchable" as if someone offered a huge overpayment , a deal could be made. But can Olofsson be had for a fair or decent price? Or is he a player that Buffalo doenst want to move barrign a huge overpayment / the return brings back something that fills a lot of holes for the teams needs?

What kind of package would it take ( if anything) from the Devils to get Olofsson?
I think it could very well be available, and our GM seems to be listening to offers from all players. Maybe something around Wood+?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I stand corrected.

The point still stands- A Cup Winner and a guy who won coach of the year award... feel better?

Sure the only thing holding back the Sabres is Bylsma...
I mean Housley....
I mean Krueger.

Bad coaches coach bad. FWIW, Bylsma was far and away the best of the bunch, and his track record reflects that. They're all terrible, though.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Is McCabe assumed to leave as a UFA and what AAV is he in line for?

Yes, McCabe is a UFA after this season. He's a quality second-pairing defenseman, but he had a very serious knee injury this year (ACL, MCL, and patella tear, I think). His recovery is expected to take a few months but it'll probably affect the term he gets on his next contract. I think he signs for around $4 million annually

Reactions: Ottobot

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
What the price on sam reinhart or is he untouchable?
I don't think anyone is untouchable but Reinhart should hopefully be pretty expensive. He's the only one to score goals 5 vs 5 and his playmaking is often what makes our powerplay work. Both Dahlin and Eichel slow things down but when Reinhart gets the puck the rythm changes, he's a great passer and often makes a swift surgical move that lead to chances.

He had a slump a couple of years ago but after that he's been our most consistent player.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Who are, or should the "untouchables" be on the Sabres?
Reason I am asking is I really like Olofsson and want him on the Devils.
Is he a core piece moving forward or would he available if a team inquired? I know that no one is really "untouchable" as if someone offered a huge overpayment , a deal could be made. But can Olofsson be had for a fair or decent price? Or is he a player that Buffalo doenst want to move barrign a huge overpayment / the return brings back something that fills a lot of holes for the teams needs?

What kind of package would it take ( if anything) from the Devils to get Olofsson?

im not proposing an offer.

is he available, sure, but in a hockey trade, not a trade for picks.

it also depends on what they do with Reinhart and Hall. If both are resigned fir the next say 3-4 years.

Olofsson is can be a UFA in 2023.

For an offseason deal...

To Vancouver:
Rasmus Ristolainen (with extension discussion beforehand)

To Buffalo:
Nate Schmidt
2nd round pick (2022)

no...

you only gave up a 3rd and he sucks and now an anchor.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
What's the ask on risto?

Has he fully recovered from covid?

He looks fully recovered to me.I'd say ask on him is 1st rounder and A- prospect. His $5.4M cap hit is decent and you get potentially two playoff runs, plus this season and next. If it doesn't work out, you flip him again at deadline.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
He looks fully recovered to me.I'd say ask on him is 1st rounder and A- prospect. His $5.4M cap hit is decent and you get potentially two playoff runs, plus this season and next. If it doesn't work out, you flip him again at deadline.
As a Jets fan I'd do Vesalainen and a 1st. May have to balance cap somehow

Other Jets fans will roast me for that, but so be it

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
As a Jets fan I'd do Vesalainen and a 1st. May have to balance cap somehow

Other Jets fans will roast me for that, but so be it

That's probably pretty close. Is Sabres eat half his cap, price is going way up. You get two playoffs rentals (this and next) for the guy and he can be flipped again next year. You really have to factor in you could reflip him and add back what you could next year for present value.

Risto has proven his toughness without a doubt and when he plays 2nd line pairings with a few PP minutes, he's a plus player and controls a lot of ice. (Bizarre bonus is throwing him in front of net for some PP. It's like the old Chara move. He's big and just starts banging people. Offers a real shakeup to disturb opponent.)

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That's probably pretty close. Is Sabres eat half his cap, price is going way up. You get two playoffs rentals (this and next) for the guy and he can be flipped again next year. You really have to factor in you could reflip him and add back what you could next year for present value.

Risto has proven his toughness without a doubt and when he plays 2nd line pairings with a few PP minutes, he's a plus player and controls a lot of ice. (Bizarre bonus is throwing him in front of net for some PP. It's like the old Chara move. He's big and just starts banging people. Offers a real shakeup to disturb opponent.)
Downside for us is either we may have to leave him exposed in the XD or lose one of pionk or demelo. So he may end up a one year rental.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
kerfoot is garbage

Hall alone gets a 1st

Staal gets a 2nd and that’s without taking crap back

kerf = agree
Hall = prob nope, 2nd +, but outside chance the right fit for a very late 1st, maybe, but not likely
Stall = hell no.
unreliable
looked like shit on the Rangers coupla yrs back has improved but a risk at a 2nd. like someone said, more likely a 3rd or a conditional lower pick that upgrades if ... x, y, and z.
I would not pay a 2nd for Staal.

An NHL executive told the Athletic that Hall might fetch a 2nd this year; he/she was almost certain that he wouldn't return a 1st. That's the kind of buyer's market we are in with the flat cap.

As for Staal, I would be surprised if he returned a 3rd let alone a 2nd. He's 36, having a bad season, and is a pending UFA. That's not going to cost a lot, especially in this buyer's market.
this ^ supports what I said above.

Who has more value at this point? Eichel or Dahlin? Either would cost a boatload, but I wonder if Dahlin wouldn't cost more at this point, despite Eichel having proven more.

If it was me, I would trade Eichel and see where you land. And I would trade him because his being unhappy may be creating other issues. Every year we hear how he's not happy (which is fine), but as the figurehead of the team, I wouldn't want to hear it year after year.

Like I've said, Dahlin would cost more. It is NOT a matter of who is 'better'. It is a matter of math.
Dahlin is cost controlled still on his elc, exiting to rfa
Eich is already costing big bucks 10m per.
Not a ? of who is worth it, it is a ? of who can afford to take 10m cap hit.

Dahlin on other hand, if not a long term option, could be retained a yr or 2 and still dealt for a boatload.

ONCE MORE WITH FEELING:
I am NOT suggesting Sabes deal Dahlin IF IF IF IF IF they have any reasonable workaround to making other moves that allow them to keep Eichel.

It is not clear that they do.
At that point, depending on what JE does/does not want = does/does not force, then either Dahlin is moved for enough immediate help to keep Eichel happy or Eich is moved and Sabes happily keep Dahlin.

Again, a lot of this is based on what Eich will decide, which is unknown, and what other teams will pay, which is also not clear. It will be a lot, for sure, but it is unclear exactly how much teams can/will pay, including as to 10m guy added to payroll.

Like you said , both would require a ton of assets to aquire . I disagree on who is more valuable though as Eichel has shown how dominant and productive he can be , where Dahlin has not sown it as often and consistent. Of course the ability and potential is there with Dahlin , but so far he has not shown it to the level of Eichel
see above

For an offseason deal...

To Vancouver:
Rasmus Ristolainen (with extension discussion beforehand)

To Buffalo:
Nate Schmidt
2nd round pick (2022)

RazRist is limited to a clear the crease guy.
Not what he wuz when first drafted.
He was a turnover machine prior to this yr.

He'll get something but I don't see VAN making that deal.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
What the price on sam reinhart or is he untouchable?

Nobody is untouchable but he has been improving every year, not the type of player to blow your mind a la kucherov but usually the smartest player on the ice. Looks to be trending to ppg per year. A type of player most franchises wouldn't consider moving but if the Sabres are going for a new rebuild he will take a haul if another team wants him. He's extremely aware of every player on the ice whether it be teammate or opponent and almost always makes the right play. Great net front presence that can screen goalies and get good tips. Starting to show more initiative this year as a scorer himself. Imo, he's our best win now asset outside of Eichel.

He is finally starting to be worthy of 2OV status. That 2014 has a couple franchise talents and then really drops off quick.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think it could very well be available, and our GM seems to be listening to offers from all players. Maybe something around Wood+?
It would take a lot more than Wood . I’m a huge Devils fan and love what Wood has done this season so far , but the + would have to be something significant

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
kerf = agree
Hall = prob nope, 2nd +, but outside chance the right fit for a very late 1st, maybe, but not likely
Stall = hell no.
unreliable
looked like shit on the Rangers coupla yrs back has improved but a risk at a 2nd. like someone said, more likely a 3rd or a conditional lower pick that upgrades if ... x, y, and z.
I would not pay a 2nd for Staal.

this ^ supports what I said above.

Like I've said, Dahlin would cost more. It is NOT a matter of who is 'better'. It is a matter of math.
Dahlin is cost controlled still on his elc, exiting to rfa
Eich is already costing big bucks 10m per.
Not a ? of who is worth it, it is a ? of who can afford to take 10m cap hit.

Dahlin on other hand, if not a long term option, could be retained a yr or 2 and still dealt for a boatload.

ONCE MORE WITH FEELING:
I am NOT suggesting Sabes deal Dahlin IF IF IF IF IF they have any reasonable workaround to making other moves that allow them to keep Eichel.

It is not clear that they do.
At that point, depending on what JE does/does not want = does/does not force, then either Dahlin is moved for enough immediate help to keep Eichel happy or Eich is moved and Sabes happily keep Dahlin.

Again, a lot of this is based on what Eich will decide, which is unknown, and what other teams will pay, which is also not clear. It will be a lot, for sure, but it is unclear exactly how much teams can/will pay, including as to 10m guy added to payroll.

see above

RazRist is limited to a clear the crease guy.
Not what he wuz when first drafted.
He was a turnover machine prior to this yr.

He'll get something but I don't see VAN making that deal.
my guts tell me,,the leafs would drop a 2nd for a retained Staal in a heart beat

maybe even a 1rst

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
How about DeBrusk + 1st + Moore for Reinhart?

DeBrusk having an off year so his value is probably lower than it should be, but a change of scenery could help him return to form. 27 goals 2 years ago, 19 last year (would've easily passed 20 in a full season), still only 24. Moore if kind of a cap dump here. Could replace someone else on the Sabres' back end if they deal a defensemen elsewhere.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It would take a lot more than Wood . I’m a huge Devils fan and love what Wood has done this season so far , but the + would have to be something significant
That's why I wrote Wood+. Well, I don't know which + can offer? Prospect (not defender)? A young player from the roster? Pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad