Friedman: Sabres Open For Business

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Who has more value at this point? Eichel or Dahlin? Either would cost a boatload, but I wonder if Dahlin wouldn't cost more at this point, despite Eichel having proven more.

If it was me, I would trade Eichel and see where you land. And I would trade him because his being unhappy may be creating other issues. Every year we hear how he's not happy (which is fine), but as the figurehead of the team, I wouldn't want to hear it year after year.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Any availability for Middelstadt? Think he could find a role on the Wild higher up the lineup with some skill and wouldn’t hate bringing him home. The Wild do have some pieces that could be parted with for either immediate help, or futures, especially at RD.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Who has more value at this point? Eichel or Dahlin? Either would cost a boatload, but I wonder if Dahlin wouldn't cost more at this point, despite Eichel having proven more.

If it was me, I would trade Eichel and see where you land. And I would trade him because his being unhappy may be creating other issues. Every year we hear how he's not happy (which is fine), but as the figurehead of the team, I wouldn't want to hear it year after year.
Like you said , both would require a ton of assets to aquire . I disagree on who is more valuable though as Eichel has shown how dominant and productive he can be , where Dahlin has not sown it as often and consistent. Of course the ability and potential is there with Dahlin , but so far he has not shown it to the level of Eichel

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Any availability for Middlestadt? Think he could find a role on the Wild higher up the lineup with some skill and wouldn’t hate bringing him home. The Wild do have some pieces that could be parted with for either immediate help, or futures, especially at RD.

like who?

I don’t see him getting traded unless a different player similar age or younger comes back.

he’s not being traded at pennies on the dollar.

more likely scenario is he’s part of a bigger 5+player trade.

buffalo doesn’t really have a RD need..

they have Borgen and Jokiharju, Risto is a UFA in 2022. Thry have a few prospects. Dahlin could play on right side since buffalo has more LD depth with higher potential.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
An NHL executive told the Athletic that Hall might fetch a 2nd this year; he/she was almost certain that he wouldn't return a 1st. That's the kind of buyer's market we are in with the flat cap.

As for Staal, I would be surprised if he returned a 3rd let alone a 2nd. He's 36, having a bad season, and is a pending UFA. That's not going to cost a lot, especially in this buyer's market.

that person is out to lunch. Buffalo is one of the clear sellers at the deadline. The only way it’s a 2nd is the other player coming back is a top prospect and they are a playoff bubble team where they condition the pick on making the playoffs or lotteryprotect it.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Dumba, Addison, Mennell, and Belpedio on the RD side are the guys that are most similar in play style but at different points in career/development, likely one or two of them will need to move in the next season. Soucy is a quality number 4 LHD playing 5th spot for us and potentially available. We have two firsts this year, and some soon to be ready forward prospects like Beckman or Hentges. Boldy and Rossi are off the table. Obviously some variation in value there but those are some of the available guys that could be involved.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
There are very few players in the league i would be OK trading Eichel 1-for-1. You could count them on one hand.

Draisaitl & Eichel are in the same ballpark - both in terms of ability & trade value.
Draisaitl has a clear advantage in value.

Production this year, Trophies won, career highs in goals and points and has a cheaper contract. Draisaitl has been Eichel beat in just about every metric.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
that person is out to lunch. Buffalo is one of the clear sellers at the deadline. The only way it’s a 2nd is the other player coming back is a top prospect and they are a playoff bubble team where they condition the pick on making the playoffs or lotteryprotect it.

I think you are setting yourself up for major disappointment on trade returns, but you do you.

Bond

May 10, 2012
You think you will get a top prospect for a Hall rental?
Low 1st from a contender if Buffalo is lucky

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
An NHL executive told the Athletic that Hall might fetch a 2nd this year; he/she was almost certain that he wouldn't return a 1st. That's the kind of buyer's market we are in with the flat cap.

As for Staal, I would be surprised if he returned a 3rd let alone a 2nd. He's 36, having a bad season, and is a pending UFA. That's not going to cost a lot, especially in this buyer's market.
I don't take what an anonymous NHL executive said as gospel. Every one of them has an agenda they're pushing. Hall as a rental last year returned a 1st, a 3rd, and 3 b-prospects. Covid has really impacted things but to go from that to: "He might fetch a 2nd at the deadline" seems like wishful thinking for a buyer this year especially in a particularly weak draft.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don't take what an anonymous NHL executive said as gospel. Every one of them has an agenda they're pushing. Hall as a rental last year returned a 1st, a 3rd, and 3 b-prospects. Covid has really impacted things but to go from that to: "He might fetch a 2nd at the deadline" seems like wishful thinking for a buyer this year especially in a particularly weak draft.

The Coyotes were also desperate to make the playoffs. How’d them giving up all those assets work out?

Hall is really showing a compete level this year isn’t he? Just like he did last year, right?

Context matters

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Any availability for Middlestadt? Think he could find a role on the Wild higher up the lineup with some skill and wouldn’t hate bringing him home. The Wild do have some pieces that could be parted with for either immediate help, or futures, especially at RD.
Most mispronounced name on HFBoards :laugh:. Idea for new thread.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Before he got COVID he was our best player this season by some margin.

That's unfortunate. Looks like he is struggling now.

Not a fan of these guys complaining about not winning in the media. Almost like they are limiting their accountability. This is a tough division no doubt but if you actually commit to team defense as part of what you do you can compete. Especially with that powerplay. I wonder what a Sutter would do with/for this group?

Reactions: Team Cozens

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Any availability for Middelstadt? Think he could find a role on the Wild higher up the lineup with some skill and wouldn’t hate bringing him home. The Wild do have some pieces that could be parted with for either immediate help, or futures, especially at RD.

Keep the food, Fortnite away you'll be good

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
The Coyotes were also desperate to make the playoffs. How’d them giving up all those assets work out?

Hall is really showing a compete level this year isn’t he? Just like he did last year, right?

Context matters
In the end Arizona shouldn't have been a buyer no argument there. As a Sabres fan who's watched almost all of his games here I've had no issue with Hall's compete level. I still fail to see how this cuts into his value as significantly as you seem to think it will especially if Buffalo is willing to retain on his contract. Again this seems like wishful thinking from an anonymous executive who is probably looking to be a buyer this season. I'd say context does matter just not in the way you are implying.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Was there an actual head coach on the names you mentioned?
A Stanley Cup winner and a guy who took a mediocre team to a Stanley Cup final.

I laugh when I see Sabres fans say "Kruger has to go... he plays the scrubs to much and puts skilled guys on the 4th line to try and teach them a lesson."

and then say

"We want Claude Julien!"

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Who are, or should the "untouchables" be on the Sabres?
Reason I am asking is I really like Olofsson and want him on the Devils.
Is he a core piece moving forward or would he available if a team inquired? I know that no one is really "untouchable" as if someone offered a huge overpayment , a deal could be made. But can Olofsson be had for a fair or decent price? Or is he a player that Buffalo doenst want to move barrign a huge overpayment / the return brings back something that fills a lot of holes for the teams needs?

What kind of package would it take ( if anything) from the Devils to get Olofsson?

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
A Stanley Cup winner and a guy who took a mediocre team to a Stanley Cup final.

I laugh when I see Sabres fans say "Kruger has to go... he plays the scrubs to much and puts skilled guys on the 4th line to try and teach them a lesson."

and then say

"We want Claude Julien!"

When did Ted Nolan take the Sabres to the finals?

It's almost like you have no idea what you're talking about

0zWaMSc.png

Reactions: Waivers

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
When did Ted Nolan take the Sabres to the finals?

It's almost like you have no idea what you're talking about

0zWaMSc.png
I stand corrected.

The point still stands- A Cup Winner and a guy who won coach of the year award... feel better?

Sure the only thing holding back the Sabres is Bylsma...
I mean Housley....
I mean Krueger.

Reactions: Pointteen

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He will easily fetch a 1st.

Last year Brady Skjei and Barclay Goodrow of all players did.

You cannot use past years as clear cut examples for value. Given all that has changed and awareness of the flat cap , COVID restrictions on how long it takes to actually get a player on your line-up ( could take 2 weeks or longer) plus many other factors like teams needs and how they view themselves as contenders etc. etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad