Dreger: Sabres not done making moves

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I'd still be interested in Miller as a Leafs fan, even if hes been the odd man out this year in Buffalo. Miller for Ceci+pick/prospect?

If we could dump Ceci and acquire Miller I would be all over it. The issue is we can’t truly afford to give up anybody off the roster.

My guess is we would need to eat the difference between Miller and Ceci and obviously add picks or prospects. Bracco would be the add as I think a team in need of a top 6 RW should give him a shot. Both Marner and Nylander make him redundant. Kap brings too many intangibles for him to be replaced.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Zero interest in Ceci.
We are trying to trade extra D. Not add

Miller for Kapanen.

Miller is a cap dump. Why would the Leafs consider trading a guy like Kapanen for Miller? For that matter, why would they entertain trading Ceci for Miller unless Buffalo is adding a pick to it? If nothing else, Ceci expires after this year and can handle a much larger and more important role in our lineup than Miller.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If we could dump Ceci and acquire Miller I would be all over it. The issue is we can’t truly afford to give up anybody off the roster.

My guess is we would need to eat the difference between Miller and Ceci and obviously add picks or prospects. Bracco would be the add as I think a team in need of a top 6 RW should give him a shot. Both Marner and Nylander make him redundant. Kap brings too many intangibles for him to be replaced.

You do realize Miller has been underwhelming for two years now right? He's been healthy scratched for like 20 games in the past two years and hasn't even been great when he was in the lineup. He is not worth his cap hit and he is not an upgrade.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
You do realize Miller has been underwhelming for two years now right? He's been healthy scratched for like 20 games in the past two years and hasn't even been great when he was in the lineup. He is not worth his cap hit and he is not an upgrade.

How was Miller in Boston and Vegas. There was a reason why Dubas wanted to acquire him. His analytics apparently are very strong. It also gives us a fall back if we can’t get a player like Pietrangelo in the offseason. If we can we flipped him in the offseason. On a third pairing I think he is an upgrade over Ceci. Ceci has been a pile of garbage.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
How was Miller in Boston and Vegas. There was a reason why Dubas wanted to acquire him. His analytics apparently are very strong. It also gives us a fall back if we can’t get a player like Pietrangelo in the offseason. If we can we flipped him in the offseason. On a third pairing I think he is an upgrade over Ceci. Ceci has been a pile of garbage.

He was a rotation bottom pairing guy in Boston, had one good year in Vegas where he was a good 2nd pairing guy before pretty much going back to a rotation bottom pairing guy, and now is barely even that in Buffalo.

Dubas liked him because he was a puck mover with nice analytics from SSM, and he had more interest in him after his good year in Vegas, not his bad one. He is not a fall back on anyone, considering he's an overpaid bottom pairing guy at best right now, and he is not an upgrade over Ceci. Ceci may not be perfect, but he does a lot more than Miller and at least expires after this year.

Miller is seriously overhyped, likely due to his analytics. Outside of his one good Vegas year he is, on average, a ~2 mill bottom pairing guy making almost 4 mill on his current contract, and right now he's not even playing to his average. So he's not even worth half his money right now, and has term.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I believe Dubas has his connection to Miller from the Soo days.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Correct. Dubas was assistant GM when Miller played here. And both are from here.

I’d do Miller for Ceci if the add is Bracco. I don’t want Ceci at all but he’d have to be traded to make the salaries work

buffalo traded a 2nd+ for Miller

They arent trading him for a UFA in Ceci. You want Miller--Kapanen is coming back

Whats more likely is Buffalo trading for a 2C that is not a rental and not 30+

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
With the way Botterill makes trades, Buffalo fans have to hope he's done making trades. Let the new guy who will take over in the offseason make moves.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Very inconsistent, which is why he was exposed in the expansion draft & traded 2 years later.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
buffalo traded a 2nd+ for Miller

They arent trading him for a UFA in Ceci. You want Miller--Kapanen is coming back

Whats more likely is Buffalo trading for a 2C that is not a rental and not 30+

Miller is not worth Kapanen. And the point is that the Sabres are acquiring Bracco. Who we need now that Skinner and Goaloffson are out with injuries. If Ceci has to come back to make the deal, you do it. We will still be left with Montour, Risto, and Joker. Ceci can eat nachos in the press box with Rodrigues and Bogo.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Miller is a cap dump. Why would the Leafs consider trading a guy like Kapanen for Miller? For that matter, why would they entertain trading Ceci for Miller unless Buffalo is adding a pick to it? If nothing else, Ceci expires after this year and can handle a much larger and more important role in our lineup than Miller.

I think you've got your names mixed up. Ceci is a cap dump.

Miller is not worth Kapanen. And the point is that the Sabres are acquiring Bracco. Who we need now that Skinner and Goaloffson are out with injuries. If Ceci has to come back to make the deal, you do it. We will still be left with Montour, Risto, and Joker. Ceci can eat nachos in the press box with Rodrigues and Bogo.

How does getting a forward who has a whopping 3 goals in the AHL this year backfill the loss of Skinner or Olofsson?

Last edited:
Reactions: seagull

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I think you've got your names mixed up. Ceci is a cap dump.

How does getting an AHL forward backfill the loss of Skinner or Olofsson?

Because he’s skilled and buried in Toronto. Sure if you can acquire him for only a pick, you do it. But would you rather try him in our top 6 or such offensive stalwarts as Sheary, Vesey and Frolik?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Because he’s skilled and buried in Toronto. Sure if you can acquire him for only a pick, you do it. But would you rather try him in our top 6 or such offensive stalwarts as Sheary, Vesey and Frolik?

I'd rather spend our assets on someone who's actually a good NHL player. (Which, for the record, is the exact same reason I never wanted Vesey either.)

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'd rather spend our assets on someone who's actually a good NHL player. (Which, for the record, is the exact same reason I never wanted Vesey either.)

And we don’t know if he will be a good NHL player. He’s not been given that chance and unless he massively outplays Marner, Nylander and Kapanen he’s never gonna be given that chance. Because he won’t do much on the 4th line in Toronto.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
And we don’t know if he will be a good NHL player. He’s not been given that chance and unless he massively outplays Marner, Nylander and Kapanen he’s never gonna be given that chance. Because he won’t do much on the 4th line in Toronto.

Again. 3 goals in the AHL. Safe to say he's not finding much twine at the NHL level. We can easily get better for Miller.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Rodrigues and Bogosian are the next guys out. Girgensons could be had for value. McCabe can be had for value too. Sheary and Vesey are free for the taking, but I doubt anyone bites.

Miller only goes for a player like Kapanen, especially to Toronto. Buffalo isn't taking Ceci lolol. Buffalo isn't taking defenseman in return.

unironically I'd take Ryan Miller back if he'd be willing. Hutton has been horrendous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad