TSN: Sabres may have internal cap in low $70M range

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Would like to see what happens with the Bruins.

It's been said, but this is a league wide problem and the salary cap should have been reduced, but everyone knows the large markets control the league so they will never force a team like Toronto to reduce their spending.

Delaware North announces more than 500 layoffs, including employees in WNY operations

I really don't think the lack of cap reduction has anything to do with the small handful of power-earner teams. The NHL was simultaneously working on return to play and negotiating a CBA extension. Good luck getting the PA to agree to anything with a pay cut or increased escrow for the players.

Reactions: joshjull

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Would like to see what happens with the Bruins.

It's been said, but this is a league wide problem and the salary cap should have been reduced, but everyone knows the large markets control the league so they will never force a team like Toronto to reduce their spending.

Delaware North announces more than 500 layoffs, including employees in WNY operations

Pegula just needs to dig another well. Not only is he now looking full of bunk but the decision-making that approved $72 M for Skinner has to come down to him. He's killed us with that contract and $70 M cap.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I really don't think the lack of cap reduction has anything to do with the small handful of power-earner teams. The NHL was simultaneously working on return to play and negotiating a CBA extension. Good luck getting the PA to agree to anything with a pay cut or increased escrow for the players.

They already did.

2018-2019 escrow withheld was 12.9%. 3.25% was returned to players, net salary lost 9.65%

2020-2021 base escrow is back to 20% , and given that league revenues will be crushed this year, it's safe to expect that 20% is likely not coming back. In addition, every player is deferring 10% of their salary for 20-21, getting that back from 2022 - 2025. This should help the players since the escrow for those years is 10% then 6%.

Reactions: slip

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Pegula just needs to dig another well. Not only is he now looking full of bunk but the decision-making that approved $72 M for Skinner has to come down to him. He's killed us with that contract and $70 M cap.
I think the neverending policy of hiring entry level types/unqualified Pegula toadies who get exposed as blithering incompetent boobs is a million times more responsible for the wretched state we find ourselves in.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I think the neverending policy of hiring entry level types/unqualified Pegula toadies who get exposed as blithering incompetent boobs is a million times more responsible for the wretched state we find ourselves in.

That doesn't help. But we essentially bid against ourselves for Skinner. We gave him $72 million. Think about it. No team could offer more than seven years. It's insanity to believe another team would have paid him 7 x $10 M. Plus, well known Toronto and Buffalo only places he would go. I asked myself how that deal happened on day of and I still do today. Guy has net worth of $5 B. Is he really that smart at negotiating. You wonder.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

[The video goes right to the budget question]

Adams was asked about the budget by Paul Hamilton and it sounds like he wants some cap space to have flexibility, but he didn't sound like the Pegulas have given him the reported budget number.

We shall see.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

[The video goes right to the budget question]

Adams was asked about the budget by Paul Hamilton and it sounds like he wants some cap space to have flexibility, but he didn't sound like the Pegulas have given him the reported budget number.

We shall see.

I think the one thing we're never going to see is Adams answer any questions about the Pegula's in a negative fashion. Terry could tell him to burn down an orphanage and his answer would be "The Pegula's remain committed to housing flexibility for those in our childcare system"

Reactions: jc17

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think the one thing we're never going to see is Adams answer any questions about the Pegula's in a negative fashion. Terry could tell him to burn down an orphanage and his answer would be "The Pegula's remain committed to housing flexibility for those in our childcare system"

It will be interesting to see how he builds out the roster and how much of a cushion there is heading into the season.

Having cap space at the TDL if they are in the hunt is never a bad thing.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad