TSN: Sabres may have internal cap in low $70M range

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Ok, so if we are honest here the sabres won't be contenders for atleast a couple of years. Can the sabres act a bit smart here to get some advantages in the future?

What do you guys think about offering team to trade in some bad contracts with high cap but little real money in left in them? And try to get some future draft picks for the favor?

Reactions: VaporTrail

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Ok, so if we are honest here the sabres won't be contenders for atleast a couple of years. Can the sabres act a bit smart here to get some advantages in the future?

What do you guys think about offering team to trade in some bad contracts with high cap but little real money in left in them? And try to get some future draft picks for the favor?
This team can't afford to piss away any more seasons and it's crazy that anyone could fail to see that fact. Do you REALLY want to end up like the Atlanta Thrashers, because that's what "Piss away more seasons to get magic draft picks" will lead to.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

I’m on board with throwing away next season. Pick up high cap hits and low money out people (eg Stepan and Raanta) or re-sign any UFA we have to fair cap hits (so Sobotka, Vesey, Simmonds or Frolik) [one year only], or helping teams out with cap problems where the cap hit is equal to money paid out (I think Saad fits into this scenario) with a sweetener added. Obviously if an absolute steal happens you make that trade (IE say the Leafs offer Dermott for Mitts). I’m on board throwing away next season for the future, only because we have too many holes and I want nothing to do with paying Seattle to avoid someone.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I’m on board with throwing away next season. Pick up high cap hits and low money out people (eg Stepan and Raanta) or re-sign any UFA we have to fair cap hits (so Sobotka, Vesey, Simmonds or Frolik) [one year only], or helping teams out with cap problems where the cap hit is equal to money paid out (I think Saad fits into this scenario) with a sweetener added. Obviously if an absolute steal happens you make that trade (IE say the Leafs offer Dermott for Mitts). I’m on board throwing away next season for the future, only because we have too many holes and I want nothing to do with paying Seattle to avoid someone.

Same sh*t .. different year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

We can't afford to keep punting forward to "maybe 3 years from now." At that point, the few players we have to build around will be fed up and want out. I'm also fairly confident that building around Eichel and Dahlin isn't anywhere near as hard as the Sabres have been making it look.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

If the Sabres do this you can guarantee Eichel and any other promising talent will be gone ASAP. The Sabres haven't been good in nearly a decade, they don't have the luxury of intentionally throwing away another season when that's all they've been doing unintentionally for the past five plus years.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
And when Jack says "Get me the f*** out of here" the day after the season ends guess what???

WE HAVE NO GODDAMNED FUTURE.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If the Sabres do this you can guarantee Eichel and any other promising talent will be gone ASAP. The Sabres haven't been good in nearly a decade, they don't have the luxury of intentionally throwing away another season when that's all they've been doing unintentionally for the past five plus years.

I know the Sabres don’t have the luxury of doing that. I do have to hope that our young core gets that COVID has thrown a wrinkle into plans that were never anticipated (and really why would you). It didn’t come across because my dumbass didn’t mention it, but picking these people up are contingent on them knowing “in the playoffs they’re kept, if not then traded”. Our core should be 4, maybe 5 people (Eichel, Cozens, 8th overall, Dahlin, 6K, and 8th is fluid [Cirelli for him, that 8th is gone]). Picking up people like who I’ve mentioned shows you’re trying but not jeopardizing your future.

If Eichel wants out, then f*** him. You either play out your contract or Yashin us and we still get an overpayment.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
This team can't afford to piss away any more seasons and it's crazy that anyone could fail to see that fact. Do you REALLY want to end up like the Atlanta Thrashers, because that's what "Piss away more seasons to get magic draft picks" will lead to.
I don't see a way for us to make the playoffs next year. Probably better to hit the brakes, retool and make some moves around the expansion draft.
We've had so many lost years where we waste futures without improving in the present.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I am more optimistic. I think we are in the mix but with little hope of advancing without improved goaltending every game and some of the players including Skinner upping their play.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Different owner during the Briere/Drury era but if this happens I will really be questioning if I want to actively still follow this team for the short-medium term
As a fan of almost 40 years here I just might give up on them and follow another team or just stop watching the NHL altogether

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019

Well, I'm not saying they should vaccuum the market for bad contracts but if they can't make payments it is the smartest use of cap space. If it's a one year cap hit, the guy you get still can fill a jersey and you get a 2021 draft pick it's definitely worth it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
With potential internal salary cap, can Sabres make the money work?

Here’s a list of players with lower salaries than cap hits who could be an upgrade for the Sabres. This isn’t to say they’re available (some even have no-trade clauses), but they’d fit Buffalo’s roster and budget criteria. The list is sortable by name, cap hit or salary by clicking at the top of the column. Figures are in millions.
NAMECAP HITSALARY
Alex Goligoski$5.48$4.00
Artem Anisimov$4.55$1.50
Brendan Gallagher$3.75$1.00
Cal Clutterbuck$3.50$2.50
Christian Dvorak$4.45$3.45
Derek Stepan$6.50$2.00
Hampus Lindholm$5.21$3.75
Ian Cole$4.25$3.00
Jeff Carter$5.27$2.00
Jonas Brodin$4.17$3.50
Lars Eller$3.50$2.50
Nick Schmaltz$5.85$3.00
Nikolaj Ehlers$6.00$4.75
Ondrej Palat$5.30$3.45
Patrick Kane$10.50$2.00
Phil Kessel$6.80$0.85
Sean Monahan$6.38$2.50
Shayne Gostisbehere$4.50$3.25
Sven Baertschi$3.37$2.40
Tyler Johnson$5.00$3.75
Yanni Gourde$5.17$4.10
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I wonder how many of these guys Adams is calling on?

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Vogl doesn't go into it there, but another group of players to target are guys with very bonus-driven contracts (a la ROR) that we could go for after the bonus is paid.

Nobody really comes to my mind, but I'm sure there are decent targets out there in that situation as well.

I think some of those players have signing bonuses that were already paid out for 2020-21.

The bonus payments were due on 7/1. That's why Terry was salty.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
I think some of those players have signing bonuses that were already paid out for 2020-21.

The bonus payments were due on 7/1. That's why Terry was salty.

I wasn't sure if that date got pushed back until the new 'offseason.' Logically I'd think it would but I never saw it reported.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad