Mar 4, 2017
ralph_krueger.jpg
800px-Long_Beach_Comic_Con_2012_-_Freddy_Krueger_%288156337891%29.jpg

the don't just share the same last name

His tenure was a nightmare alright.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I thought more people would have been brought in by now.

I feel like Adams acts too slowly. It's now June, and all that has happened was one AGM. We are still a skeleton staff, with a little over a month away from one of the biggest drafts this organization has faced.
Most of the people he is probably interested in bringing in are still contracted to their teams until after the playoffs.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Most of the people he is probably interested in bringing in are still contracted to their teams until after the playoffs.

Gonna be tough to take people from other organizations and come into this mess.

Derek Clancey is out there.

Tons of GMs in the junior Canadian leagues that could be hired and be perfect for the draft. Same can be said for people in Europe right now.

This staff needs loads of scouts too.

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
If this management group had any brains Bruce would already be head coach considering he's from the area and reportedly would be very interested in the job. 2nd highest winning percentage and strong track record of success. Stanley Cup. He's legit.

Then go get a solid goalie to platoon with a resigned Ullmark (or find another goalie). Otherwise, if Ullmark won't resign, sign or trade for a proven #1 and a solid proven backup.

Then get rid of redundant soft/small forwards and replace with gritty workhorses.

Same with the D. We already have some good ones ready to step in like Borgen but get some mean assholes on the backend that can play D, clear the zone, clear the net, skate, and pass.

Move on from Risto, Eakin, Reider, Thompson, Sheahan, Miller, Olofsson (I really like him but think we need more grit and he'd have good trade value), waive Okposo.

I don't mind Reider and Sheahan but I think we can finally equally effective defensive players that have more compete, more grit, more jam, more physicality.

It's a tall order I know but if they're serious about competing we need to make a significant change in our identity and that starts with the type of players.

We need heart and soul guys and a coach that will demand they play that way and make the players want to play that way. Bruce did it for Ovi and the Caps and won the cup and so if any players can't buy in then they should go...simple as that.

Eichel and Reino are under team control and they should be brought back because I highly doubt we'll get any value in trades. If Eichel is unhappy, just explain there was no deal to make and convince him to buy in for one more kick at the can. If they can't win under these conditions then go ahead and blow it up....his no trade will take effect but if he has a good-great season there will be lots of offers and only bring them to Eichel if the deal is good. Tell other GM's that if you want me to take your offer and ask Jack to waive you'll need to offer a better package....otherwise we'll talk to someone else or just keep him.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If this management group had any brains Bruce would already be head coach considering he's from the area and reportedly would be very interested in the job. 2nd highest winning percentage and strong track record of success. Stanley Cup. He's legit.

Then go get a solid goalie to platoon with a resigned Ullmark (or find another goalie). Otherwise, if Ullmark won't resign, sign or trade for a proven #1 and a solid proven backup.

Then get rid of redundant soft/small forwards and replace with gritty workhorses.

Same with the D. We already have some good ones ready to step in like Borgen but get some mean assholes on the backend that can play D, clear the zone, clear the net, skate, and pass.

Move on from Risto, Eakin, Reider, Thompson, Sheahan, Miller, Olofsson (I really like him but think we need more grit and he'd have good trade value), waive Okposo.

I don't mind Reider and Sheahan but I think we can finally equally effective defensive players that have more compete, more grit, more jam, more physicality.

It's a tall order I know but if they're serious about competing we need to make a significant change in our identity and that starts with the type of players.

We need heart and soul guys and a coach that will demand they play that way and make the players want to play that way. Bruce did it for Ovi and the Caps and won the cup and so if any players can't buy in then they should go...simple as that.

Eichel and Reino are under team control and they should be brought back because I highly doubt we'll get any value in trades. If Eichel is unhappy, just explain there was no deal to make and convince him to buy in for one more kick at the can. If they can't win under these conditions then go ahead and blow it up....his no trade will take effect but if he has a good-great season there will be lots of offers and only bring them to Eichel if the deal is good. Tell other GM's that if you want me to take your offer and ask Jack to waive you'll need to offer a better package....otherwise we'll talk to someone else or just keep him.
I disagree with virtually all of this, including and especially your contention that Boudreau won a cup. He has not. He lost in the conference finals once with Anaheim, but other than that has not made it out of the quarterfinals ever.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

So let me summarize your plan.

1. Perform Xbox worthy trade to acquire a #1 goalie and established #2, somehow without giving up much.
2. Swap out most of the rest of the team for the New York Islanders.
3. Ignore that your franchise player is raging mad, and just tell him to trust you that this time they will be better.
4. Pretend that a player with a full NMC who wants out has no impact on the trade return if that player is pretty good.
5. Assume that you can qualify and lowball Reinhart, ignoring that he has arbitration rights and will absolutely get a large bump based on his performance , further putting the team in a bind to accept or walk away.

This is so bad, the Pegulas might actually do it!

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Got to give credit where it's due. A few weeks ago Chad DeDominicis said that Karmanos was all but a done deal, but that Adams was waiting until after the trade deadline to finalize it. He also mentioned that there were talks with Rutherford about coming in as a senior consultant, but that Rutherford was insisting the Pegulas agree to certain conditions, like staying out of hockey decisions. I think he said there was only a 50% chance that Rutherford would be joining the Sabres.

I'm guessing by now everyone has completely forgotten about this bit of 'inside' information from a couple months ago...

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Karmanos is only available if the Sabres choose to make him available. It's the same with Botterill in Seattle. They could pull an Ottawa and tell Rutherford to get bent if he requests permission to interview.

This would be one time I'm 100% OK with the Pegulas being assholes. Let's keep this core together for a bit; we may have hit on something nice.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
He could of been witness to the Eichel Shenanigans and gotten word to get him the hell out of here.

There's reasons the Sabres caved hours before EF went on the air.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
How did the Sabres cave? They got really close to the deal they asked for.
It wasn't a coincidence the deal finished up hours before Eichel sat down with EF and said if a deal had not gotten done if would of been a different interview.

Was a protected 1st and 3/2 exchange from a playoff team a solid 4 piece deal ? we will see down the road.

If they loose Karmanos this quick it will be a shame and I'm sure have some kind of drama behind it like anything Sabres. If EF has it this quick it has to have some steam.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
We basically lost a 3rd round pick because the league was upset about the in season GM search so everybody can f*** off if they want to interview an AGM

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It wasn't a coincidence the deal finished up hours before Eichel sat down with EF and said if a deal had not gotten done if would of been a different interview.

Was a protected 1st and 3/2 exchange from a playoff team a solid 4 piece deal ? we will see down the road.

If they loose Karmanos this quick it will be a shame and I'm sure have some kind of drama behind it like anything Sabres. If EF has it this quick it has to have some steam.

Adams asked for a package equivalent of 4 1st round picks. He got:

Peyton Krebs, top 10 player in 2019 who fell due to injury, still drafted in the 1st round.
Alex Tuch, who the stand alone price to acquire would've started at a 1st round pick
2022 1st
2023 2nd (which is basically priced around 64th overall since the Sabres traded back a 3rd).

So Adams got 3 1sts a a low 2nd, in a deal with a player, Krebs, who wasn't available over the summer.

So, sure, maybe Adams wanted the deal done before the interview, but he certainly didn't cave.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Peyton Krebs, top 10 player in 2019 who fell due to injury, still drafted in the 1st round.
Alex Tuch, who the stand alone price to acquire would've started at a 1st round pick
2022 1st
2023 2nd (which is basically priced around 64th overall since the Sabres traded back a 3rd).

So Adams got 3 1sts a a low 2nd, in a deal with a player, Krebs, who wasn't available over the summer.

So, sure, maybe Adams wanted the deal done before the interview, but he certainly didn't cave.

What did Karmanos want? He is, after all, the subject at hand.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

2022 1st

I Like Krebs, and his upside. Tuch will give the team heart, a future captain ? L1/2 PP1 winger. Perhaps they can turn those picks into something.

We all know there were a lot of factors pushing this deal to get done. Just a thought that Karmanos doesn't like the setup or vibes here seeing his name has come up so soon, but its also nhl gm job too.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I love how he frames this…. “Jason Karmanos, cause thats a name thats very much out there.”

Which tells us very little. How is his name out there? Are others in the hockey world speculating thats who Rutherford would ask? Or have the Nucks asked permission? Because those are two very different things.

After the Eichel saga I’m kind of exhausted by Friedman speak.

Reactions: Jacob582

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I Like Krebs, and his upside. Tuch will give the team heart, a future captain ? L1/2 PP1 winger. Perhaps they can turn those picks into something.

We all know there were a lot of factors pushing this deal to get done. Just a thought that Karmanos doesn't like the setup or vibes here seeing his name has come up so soon, but its also nhl gm job too.
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad