Confirmed with Link: Sabres hire Assistant Coach Don Granato

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's got an interesting mix of experiences that hopefully lend themselves to being good at his job here in Buffalo. And that it wasn't linear, so we can infer that he has a clue how to handle both a variety of issues. The proof is in the proverbial pudding yet this seems like a definite quality hire.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Should've made the assistant coaches ex-boxing, ex-football, ex-basketball and ex-golf(for the post season). Diversity is the worlds biggest strength and it's time we started tapping in to it.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Granato family has a lot of hockey history in it, that's about all I know at first glance. Hope the choices work out.

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
His brother Tony is going to be coaching Cole Caufield this year at Wisconsin... just saying.

Reactions: Dingo44

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
I was all-in for Gallant. Don is quickly changing my mind. I can't believe the transformation in this team.

I can. I'm obviously in the minority, but this isn't surprising to me at all. I believe we have a playoff caliber roster and some outstanding young players, maybe not so much without Eichel, but still a good team. I knew that any coach who took over would do the exact opposite of everything Krueger did and it would pay off because RK is up there with Pierre McGuire in the coaches hall of shame . Granato might be "the one", and I expect him to get the job, but I'm still very skeptical.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The thing is I don’t expect the next coach of the Buffalo Sabres is going to be guiding them to the Stanley Cup. I need the next coach of the Sabres to stop killing the young players and playmakers with their bullshit and develop them into a team that can start winning. Coach life expectancy in this league isn’t long even on good teams. You get a coach that can get you to the next level and then you make a move to get over the next hump. We’ve been stuck in first gear so long it’s almost impossible. Granato can be the next coach and the team can be better for it. I’ll worry about the step after that when that step is taken. And I do not trust Terry and Kim Pegula to not hire their fourth awful coach in a row while actually thinking they’re doing the right thing thus setting it all back to zero before it can get to 1

Reactions: Buffaloed

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
The thing is I don’t expect the next coach of the Buffalo Sabres is going to be guiding them to the Stanley Cup. I need the next coach of the Sabres to stop killing the young players and playmakers with their bullshit and develop them into a team that can start winning. Coach life expectancy in this league isn’t long even on good teams. You get a coach that can get you to the next level and then you make a move to get over the next hump. We’ve been stuck in first gear so long it’s almost impossible. Granato can be the next coach and the team can be better for it. I’ll worry about the step after that when that step is taken. And I do not trust Terry and Kim Pegula to not hire their fourth awful coach in a row while actually thinking they’re doing the right thing thus setting it all back to zero before it can get to 1

Havn't had a coach like that since Ted Nolan in 1995-1997

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I can. I'm obviously in the minority, but this isn't surprising to me at all. I believe we have a playoff caliber roster and some outstanding young players, maybe not so much without Eichel, but still a good team. I knew that any coach who took over would do the exact opposite of everything Krueger did and it would pay off because RK is up there with Pierre McGuire in the coaches hall of shame . Granato might be "the one", and I expect him to get the job, but I'm still very skeptical.

I’m going to have to call BS on this. Krueger was a horrible coach but what Granato is doing goes beyond simply being the “opposite of Krueger”.

1) There is no way in hell any of the vet coaches being mentioned the most (Julien/Gallant/Boudreau) would come in here and rely on a ton of kids in key positions/minutes to the extent Granato is.

2) I also feel quite confident before Krueger got fired you were not expecting a new coach to have Sam and Mitts center our top 2 lines while Jack/Cozens were out. Then keep them both at center when Cozens returned. Or that we’d have a top 6 line of Asplund/Mitts/Tage. Or letting Dahlin play like a riverboat gambler, etc.

There is no way you could have envisioned whats taking place right now with Granato because no one envisioned it. You saying its not surprising is why I called BS. Realistically two months ago there there would be no reason to expect much of what Granato has done from any new coach.

I don’t take issue with is you being skeptical. Thats a perfectly legit take with such a small sample of work. But I don’t buy you expected all of whats happening right now.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I’m going to have to call BS on this. Krueger was a horrible coach but what Granato is doing goes beyond simply being the “opposite of Krueger”.

1) There is no way in hell any of the vet coaches being mentioned the most (Julien/Gallant/Boudreau) would come in here and rely on a ton of kids in key positions/minutes to the extent Granato is.

2) I also feel quite confident before Krueger got fired you were not expecting a new coach to have Sam and Mitts center our top 2 lines while Jack/Cozens were out. Then keep them both at center when Cozens returned. Or that we’d have a top 6 line of Asplund/Mitts/Tage. Or letting Dahlin play like a riverboat gambler, etc.

There is no way you could have envisioned whats taking place right now with Granato because no one envisioned it. You saying its not surprising is why I called BS. Realistically two months ago there there would be no reason to expect much of what Granato has done from any new coach.

I don’t take issue with is you being skeptical. Thats a perfectly legit take with such a small sample of work. But I don’t buy you expected all of whats happening right now.
Wow this post is gold. Exactly what my mind is thinking.

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw

Before RK was fired, there were plenty of people on here saying something to the effect of "what's the point of firing RK if you're just going to slap an interim tag on Granato or Ellis and they'll run the exact same system?"

I said, and you can look it up if you want, that no coach in his right mind is going to come in and run the same system and do all the same things that got the last coach fired, no way. Did I say I predicted certain line combos? No, now your just putting words on my mouth.

All I'm saying is I'm not surprised the team is playing so well, that's all. I'm sure Granato had a lot to do with it.

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019
Bringing in new coaches often has a positive effect for a while and both Housley and Krueger had good stretches as well, so I'll wait out the season before making up my mind if I'd like him to stay as HC.

But from what I've seen so far I like almost everything. He wants to play offensive hockey that entertains. He himself wants to be entertained on the bench it sounded like, which I love if so. He wants possession hockey which I also like after being fed up with defending and dumping the puck. He lets the youngsters roam free instead of hindering them like Krueger & Smith. He let's them make mistakes. Might be a recipe to finally tap into the huge amount of talent this team has.

One or two good goalies and Jack back + one or two good calibre additions and it might look even better.

But consistency is key, so we'll see...

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Didn’t Pierre only GM? Or did he interim himself while in Hartford?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Before RK was fired, there were plenty of people on here saying something to the effect of "what's the point of firing RK if you're just going to slap an interim tag on Granato or Ellis and they'll run the exact same system?"

I said, and you can look it up if you want, that no coach in his right mind is going to come in and run the same system and do all the same things that got the last coach fired, no way. Did I say I predicted certain line combos? No, now your just putting words on my mouth.

I believe you.

But player usage, line combos, ice time, etc are all part of the equation when we talk about a new coach and his system. A coach could have a better systemic approach than Krueger and still not have great player usage or a willingness to take a chance with a lot of youngsters. Which would impact how successful they would be.

Playing in more open system where the players shouldn’t be scared about possessing the puck is only part of whats going on with Granato. He is also trusting a lot of youngsters in key minutes as well as throwing Sam into a top 6 center role. He is willing to absorb the lumps that come with and they are not punished when they mess up. Granato’s thinking is the good outweighs the bad , especially in the long run as they adjust, so its worth it.

Thats more than anti-Krueger, Thats anti-NHL coaching norms. Which is why I don’t think any of the vets coaches mentioned would be doing this.

All I'm saying is I'm not surprised the team is playing so well, that's all. I'm sure Granato had a lot to do with it.

The point I’m getting at is everyone, including yourself, should be surprised they’re playing this well because on who is leading the charge.

Players we would not have expected two months ago to be leading the charge for this strong team play; Mitts, Asplund, Tage, Joker, Bryson. Dahlin and Cozens are less surprising but even they have taken enormous leaps forward. Throw in Sam at center and we have a successful mix no one could have seen coming.

When posters were talking about a coach coming in and getting more out this roster. It certain wasn’t with those youngsters in mind. It was about getting Hall, Staal, Jack, Olofsson and Skinner on track 5v5, getting away from being super conservative and maybe freeing up Dahlin.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad