Confirmed with Link: Sabres hire Assistant Coach Don Granato

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
We clearly are just hiring individuals with the most interesting resumes at this point. I know nothing about this man (other than his siblings), but he definitely has some depth of experience throughout hockey and has immediate experience with Eichel.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
We got the wrong Gretzky, the wrong Rolston, and the lesser Seiling. We had the better Biron and 2 out of 3 Foligno's or is it Foligni? Both Moller's, Patrick's, Shannon's and O'Reilly's. We also had the best coach Pat Lafontaine ever played for and his son. And so the Granato tenure begins in Buffalo. If he performs with distinction we'll call him the The Don or the Doninator. If he doesn't we'll call him Tony Granato's dumber brother.

Who's the X's and O's guy? Maybe he hasn't been hired yet. The Sabres fired 4 assistants coaches; Payne, Ward, and Allan. They've only hired 2.

Reactions: Fearnot and Baccus

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We got the wrong Gretzky, the wrong Rolston, and the lesser Seiling. We had the better Biron and 2 out of 3 Foligno's or is it Foligni? Both Moller's, Patrick's, Shannon's and O'Reilly's. We also had the best coach Pat Lafontaine ever played for and his son. And so the Granato tenure begins in Buffalo. If he performs with distinction we'll call him the The Don or the Doninator. If he doesn't we'll call him Tony Granato's dumber brother.

Who's the X's and O's guy? Maybe he hasn't been hired yet. The Sabres fired 4 assistants coaches; Payne, Ward, and Allan. They've only hired 2.

Hajt was the other assistant let go.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

We got the wrong Neidermayer too.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I dont feel warm about this hire or excited but then again, I dont know much about him other than the little I heard.

Hope it works out.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
It wasn't a grilling, but he talks about being surprised by the firing and his own retention at the time as well as his respect for both Q and Colliton. He worked with the defensemen after Q left to try implementing Colliton's system. Most of it is pretty standard hockey interview stuff, "happy to be here, great experience, grateful".
Maybe I’m misinterpreting but I also got the impression that it was more of Granato’s decision not to come back to Chicago than it was Chicago wanting to get rid of him.

It seemed like he was torn about even staying on for the rest of the season (he was the only Quenneville assistant retained) but decided to stay and help with the transition.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
So the bench staff will be Krueger, Smith, and Granato? With Bales upstairs? With his title being Assistant, maybe he will be on the bench too. Curious to see if they hire another assistant to fill Hajt's "eye in the sky" role. Currently the staff is one less body than last year.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
So the bench staff will be Krueger, Smith, and Granato? With Bales upstairs? With his title being Assistant, maybe he will be on the bench too. Curious to see if they hire another assistant to fill Hajt's "eye in the sky" role. Currently the staff is one less body than last year.

Wasn't Granato upstairs during some of his time in Chicago?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I think that it’ll likely be Bales upstairs and only 2 assistants on the bench.

In Krueger’s 1st (and only) year in Edmonton it was only Krueger and Smith behind the bench during games. Krueger wanted a very focused, positive message to the players and felt it was better to have just him and Smith behind the bench for season 1. He planned to add an associate coach year 2 (Eakins) but we all know what happened there.

Bales was upstairs the last year or two in Carolina iirc. (pretty sure he was for Brindamor at least)

Granato’s has also done it before, but with him being the more experienced coach I think Krueger May want him behind the bench.

Who knows, maybe both guys will be upstairs and it will be just him and Steve Smith behind the bench again?

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I remember Krueger talking about how he thought too many coaches at the bench causes more harm than good. He doesn't think it helps to feed a player too much information during the game. The time for coaching is between games. I think he wants to try to go with only 2 coaches behind the bench like he did in Edmonton.

How the past has prepared Sabres coach Ralph Krueger for the challenge ahead

During those preliminary talks with Oilers veterans in 2012, Krueger revealed his first significant, outside-the-box decision: only he and assistant Steve Smith, who served on Phil Housley's staff with the Sabres in 2018-19, would be behind Edmonton's bench for the 2012-13 season.
Kelly Buchberger, the other assistant, would join goaltending coach Frederic Chabot in the press box. Krueger wanted one consistent message and thought fewer voices would allow players to not be bogged down with chatter between shifts.

Reactions: CaptPantalones

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I remember Krueger talking about how he thought too many coaches at the bench causes more harm than good. He doesn't think it helps to feed a player too much information during the game. The time for coaching is between games. I think he wants to try to go with only 2 coaches behind the bench like he did in Edmonton.

How the past has prepared Sabres coach Ralph Krueger for the challenge ahead

During one of the interviews, he talked about having 3 coaches on the bench with maybe a video coach in the tunnel with an iPad that might pop in time to time if he feels it would help.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
During one of the interviews, he talked about having 3 coaches on the bench with maybe a video coach in the tunnel with an iPad that might pop in time to time if he feels it would help.
Marty Di Bergi is free to shoot a documentary.

jpg00019.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad