Sabres fire Housley

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I think it's 5 coaches in 6 years, not even every couple seasons.
It’s a little convoluted quite honestly. 5th in 6 years but 3rd in 5 years as well. Rolston was fired mid season and they had Ted Nolan take over. Bylsma was hired after him and was given 2 full seasons. Then Housley for 2 full seasons.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It’s a little convoluted quite honestly. 5th in 6 years but 3rd in 5 years as well. Rolston was fired mid season and they had Ted Nolan take over. Bylsma was hired after him and was given 2 full seasons. Then Housley for 2 full seasons.

Housley had 2 years? I don't know why it feels like he just took the reigns this season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Man, Quenneville is going to be getting some juicy offers over the next couple of weeks! Alain Vigneault might be a good back up plan to whoever misses out.
Crazy he doesn't have a job yet but with 8 head coach jobs available now he's pretty certain to get one. He's the kind of guy who commands respect and he'd be great for Buffalo.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
At some point, you gotta blame someone other than the coach. If I was an owner, I’m canning the GM too.

Edit: forgot this was only Botterill’s first coach. You get more time than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So is this the final excuse now? Three coaches, if the team still has the same problems and can't take a step is it time to admit the rebuild has been a failure?

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Nice guys don't always make good coaches. Feel bad for him, but he wasn't the guy for the job.

Saying that, problems extend beyond the coach. Their drafting and development has been sorely lacking. And their pro-level moves have been filled with mistakes. The next guy will fail too without improvements.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
This trend has to stop, stability in coaching is what will bring out the best in the Sabres.

For what it's worth Housley did a decent job with what he had to work with.
2 coaches in the last 4 seasons

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
This was expected. This team needs an experienced and qualified coach.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Hoping Buffalo can get a good replacement. There's so much young talent in or coming to Buffalo. 6 straight top-10 picks with another one upcoming. It would be nice to see for Buffalo fans a coach that can get them playing to their potential.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
the roster is still half way done. Sincerely won't have a good team until the roster gets fixed. I'd go with the AHL coach leading their team to historic heights.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I have been as critical of our roster as anyone, but that Housley statement couldn't be more inaccurate.

The Sabers improved by 14 points, what did people expect a SC run?

Pretty hard to have success when your 2nd line center is Evan Rodrigues and Casey Mittelstadt clearly isn't ready yet.

Having a true #1 goalie would help as well.

Perhaps Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen will be the answer long term but rushing him won't help.

Reactions: Mortiz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad