Sabres Expansion Draft Protection Discussion (Skinner waives NMC for Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Everyone projected Vegas to be terrible lol

i didnt expect them to be terrible.

the expansion draft allowed them to draft middle pairing Dmen who were exposed. then they drafted older 1-3 yr TFA forwards and they had a decent goalie.

I figured they would be a bubble team

they started well and had breakout seasons by a few players.

I think they will have problems in a few years because they traded alot of youth to try and compete now.

Vegas also made some weird moves in not picking players.

Seattle could be different and plan and build with youth from draft picks andnot go out and try to trade for vets. They would likely have a strategy to have cap space for Matthews or Aho is 2024.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
For the time being, I figure the bare minimum on the protected list will be...

Eichel
Reinhart
Skinner
Mittelstadt

Dahlin
Montour
Pilut OR Jokiharju

The marginal players will be...

Olofsson
Rodrigues
Thompson
Smith

Pilut/Jokiharju
Bryson
Borgen
Laaksonen
Samuelsson

The decision will simply hinge on whether a 4th D-man is more valuable than a 5th FW like Olofsson. Maybe...hopefully...a top-six FW is acquired by then that makes a 7-3-1 plan a no-brainer.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
This seems like the lowest-cost option:

44d422318b786b04f15bc145dbacbebc.jpg

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Scene: Mid 2017

Everyone: Vegas will be terrible, lol what a bad draft
Djp: They'll be a bubble team
Me, an intellectual: William Karlsson will score 40 goals.
Genuine lol at this post.

I trust Botterill will be able to manage the draft.

I'd be very upset to lose Olofsson or Pilut.
If I thought they were 1st round talent by the time the draft happens, would not be opposed to trading a protected 1st for SEA to take someone else to keep the roster in tact.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Wow. No mention yet of Botterill and Francis having a relationship and that working in our advantage. Maybe some posters ARE coming into reality?!

Put me in the lose one player and move on group. At the very most, a second round pick to take our choice.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The expansion draft isn't until June, 2021 so there is enough time to shake out the roster and determine the direction of the club. However, I think based on the current needs of the club and the unbalanced talent prospect pool we should start making some moves.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:
* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

The Sabres are required to expose players that have been under contract with experience. This can be satisfied by exposing players like Larsson, Girgensons, Miller, Hutton or veteran UFAs signed to short-term deals.

As it stands right now here is who I would protect.

Eichel
Reinhart
Skinner
Thompson
Mittelstadt
Asplund
Olofsson

Dahlin
Jokiharju
Montour

Ullmark

The notable exposures are Johansson, Risto, Borgen, Pilut.

Johansson is an UFA at the end of 2021 so I'm not sure Seattle would risk selecting him if he can leave after 1 year. This could leave a void at 2C, but hopefully Mittelstadt develops into that role. In 1 year if there is no apparent 2c replacement then I can be talked into protecting Johansson.

Risto has his flaws, but he can eat minutes, run point on the power play and provides some grit.

Losing Borgen would hurt since we have watched him develop into a solid d-man.

Pilut is a wild card. I think we need to see him flourish on the big stage and stay healthy.

When it comes down to roster makeup and direction I am open to trading any player not named Eichel, Skinner, Dahlin or Jokiharju.

In the right deal I would trade Reinhart to shake up the roster. Sam is an RFA after this year and we don't know what his asking price is at this point.
Asplund is groomed to be the 3c of the future, but has he regressed?
Olofsson has a great shot, but can he play effective even strength hockey?

It's obvious we need to trade some defensive prospects for forward help. Keep in mind that any forwards we receive in a trade we may have to protect.

At the end of the day we can only lose 1 player in this draft, but why does it have to hurt? Should we trade some players that would be exposed in this draft for futures?

How about we expose Risto with the hope that he is selected? We have the replacements plus it would free up $5.4M in salary.

The next year is a critical juncture for this team in terms of roster identity. We have a number of pieces, but how do we build a team? There are too many holes that need to be filled through trades and free agency.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I could see us giving them Miller, Okposo, 1st. If Okposo isn’t on ltir we might have to add a prospect.

Reactions: Bferra13

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I could see us giving them Miller, Okposo, 1st. If Okposo isn’t on ltir we might have to add a prospect.

That seems like a really big price to pay to get rid of Okposo. I would rather just have them take whatever player is left over at this point.

Regarding protections, I like the 8 skater route.

Forwards: Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Mittelstadt (Notable unprotected F: Olofsson, Johansson)
Defensemen: Dahlin, Jokiharju, Montour, Ristolainen (Notable unprotected D: Miller, McCabe)
Goalie: Definitely Hutton

I wouldn't protect guys who haven't shown anything in the NHL yet and aren't expempt. So, I wouldn't protect Asplund, Thompson (despite how well he's doing in the AHL,) etc. I think it's more important to maintain a strong defensive core when we have it.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hutton isn't even signed for the 2021-22 season at this time, we wouldn't need to protect him.

Also, the idea that we're not protecting Olofsson is pretty silly.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Can we please stop with this? It’s not going to happen. It’s the same pipe dream as Moulson. The chances of the Sabres getting a compliance type of mechanism from the new CBA is way more likely.

Yeah the cost for a new team to take Okposo over one of our young defenseman would be so substantial youd be better off just trading for a better defenseman after the fact. You're going to ene up paying a decent pick just to get them to select from forwards rather than defense, and Okposo would be somewhere near the bottom of that list.

If we are a playoff team when the expansion draft happens I'd pay them a first to select a forward/goalie but they are going to take a good young forward.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think Jokiharju is exempt because he did not accrue an NHL season as an 18/19 yr old last year

Hutton and McCabe and MoJo are UFAs in 2021. They can be exposed and if signed by Seattle then thst is their pick

Buffalo likely trades one of Miller, Risto, Montour by then

They go 7-3-1 in protection

F—Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Mitts, Olofsson, xxx, xxx
D— Dahlin, Joki ( if not exempt)/xxx, xxx
G— Ullmark

In a trade of one of Miller/Montiur/Ristolainen the team needs to get back either exempt players/prospects/picks or a F that is a clear step above the other forwards they have thst they need to protect. To acquire a player only to have him exposed defeats the purpose of the trade when compared to what they give up to Seattle for thrm not to pick a sbset of expised pkayers.

If they useRisto as a forward for all of 20/21 season he could be protected as a F.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I think Jokiharju is exempt because he did not accrue an NHL season as an 18/19 yr old last year

Hutton and McCabe and MoJo are UFAs in 2021. They can be exposed and if signed by Seattle then thst is their pick

Buffalo likely trades one of Miller, Risto, Montour by then

They go 7-3-1 in protection

F—Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Mitts, Olofsson, xxx, xxx
D— Dahlin, Joki ( if not exempt)/xxx, xxx
G— Ullmark

In a trade of one of Miller/Montiur/Ristolainen the team needs to get back either exempt players/prospects/picks or a F that is a clear step above the other forwards they have thst they need to protect. To acquire a player only to have him exposed defeats the purpose of the trade when compared to what they give up to Seattle for thrm not to pick a sbset of expised pkayers.

If they useRisto as a forward for all of 20/21 season he could be protected as a F.

Can anyone confirm this?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Accrued seasons only matter for a player becoming an unrestricted free agent. Jokiharju played what counts as a professional season for the purposes of restricted free agency eligibility and salary arbitration eligibility. Also, although it isn't relevant, Jokiharju actually did gain an accrued season last year, as he was on Chicago's active roster for 40 games.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad