Sabres Expansion Draft Protection Discussion (Skinner waives NMC for Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
You realize, if they don't take Eakin/Miller, they get one of your other players (Bjork, Asplund or Borgen I would think)... so you are not paying them to take Eakin, you are paying to save one of the other guys. in the end, are any of them worth saving?

Yes, so you ask are any worth are second, 32nd overall. No way. The Montreal 3rd. Don't think but close. We will protect Bjork instead of Asplund to justify the Taylor Hall trade and it's nuts.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It would be massively disappointing if the team protects Bjork over Asplund.

Prepare to be massively disappointed. They keep talking up Bjork like he's not from the 2014 class and Asplund is not from the 2016 class. They tried to sell that they won Bjork for Lazar part of Hall trade when it was clearly part of deal that Boston would have insisted on because of the salary difference. I'm okay with Bjork as a project until the point he bumps someone like Asplund or Thompson.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Prepare to be massively disappointed. They keep talking up Bjork like he's not from the 2014 class and Asplund is not from the 2016 class. They tried to sell that they won Bjork for Lazar part of Hall trade when it was clearly part of deal that Boston would have insisted on because of the salary difference. I'm okay with Bjork as a project until the point he bumps someone like Asplund or Thompson.
It would be massively disappointing if the team protects Bjork over Asplund.
I think Skinner will waive his no trade and be unprotected. No worries.

Reactions: Jacob582

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I really think he will because he will know Seattle isn't going to draft him.

So? What possible benefit to him personally would there be to waiving his NMC?

He is going to make a big sacrifice for a bottom feeding rebuilding team so Rasmus Asplund can stay on the team?

Reactions: Zman5778

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I just think if needed that he'll do it. They might not even need him to if trades happen.

He won't do out of fear some deal gets put together that takes him somewhere else. I think he only waves to go to Toronto or maybe Montreal. You want to move him, talk to Leafs. Bottom line

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He won't do out of fear some deal gets put together that takes him somewhere else. I think he only waves to go to Toronto or maybe Montreal. You want to move him, talk to Leafs. Bottom line

Waiving for the purposes of the expansion draft does not mean the the NMC goes away completely.

The only concern Skinner should have with waiving for the ED is that Adams goes behind his back and does a deal with Seattle such that they take him.

Reactions: brian_griffin

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
Waiving for the purposes of the expansion draft does not mean the the NMC goes away completely.

The only concern Skinner should have with waiving for the ED is that Adams goes behind his back and does a deal with Seattle such that they take him.
That would be great!

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
My strategy is to is play mind games with Ron Francis. Approach him with a what would it take for you not to select player X proposition. Then haggle over the price and finally tell Francis he wants too much. Player X would be a respectable player but one you would be comfortable losing (eg Pilut).

Last edited:

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
There is no reason to ask Jeff Skinner to waive his NMC if the Sabres have already had discussions with Seattle and could not come to an agreement. Why ask this of Skinner when you know Seattle selecting Skinner is not a possibility? People are the media are making way too much of this. Besides as I have said before trading Eichel and Reinhart puts the Sabres on a new timline, so the Skinner contract won't really be a factor for at least 3-4 years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There is no reason to ask Jeff Skinner to waive his NMC if the Sabres have already had discussions with Seattle and could not come to an agreement. Why ask this of Skinner when you know Seattle selecting Skinner is not a possibility? People are the media are making way too much of this. Besides as I have said before trading Eichel and Reinhart puts the Sabres on a new timline, so the Skinner contract won't really be a factor for at least 3-4 years.

This would be assuming that the Sabres don't have a deal in place to give Seattle something to take a specific player.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

The purpose of asking him to waive is that it essentially gives us an extra protection slot.

Seattle aren't going to take him - so exposing him would allow us to protect somebody else.

Sabrefan99

Jun 22, 2014

I think that would ruin Adams reputation and no free agent would ever trust him. I don’t think he would do that.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Adams didn't sign Skinner to that contract. When a new GM comes in, loyalty to players signed by previous regimes goes out the window.

It's still a completely dick move. Adams would instantly lose all respect around the league if he pulled this type of stunt.

Reactions: Jim Bob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad