Sabres Expansion Draft Protection Discussion (Skinner waives NMC for Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
As of now, one of Tage, Asplund, or Bjork will be exposed. Seattle will not accept a 7th not to pick the one exposed. They should approach Jeff about waiving for the ED only with the condition that Buffalo will send a 7th to Seattle not to pick him. There was no was Seattle would pick him anyways but this gives assurances to Jeff that he is not moving. A 7th is a small price to pay to keep those forwards.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
As of now, one of Tage, Asplund, or Bjork will be exposed. Seattle will not accept a 7th not to pick the one exposed. They should approach Jeff about waiving for the ED only with the condition that Buffalo will send a 7th to Seattle not to pick him. There was no was Seattle would pick him anyways but this gives assurances to Jeff that he is not moving. A 7th is a small price to pay to keep those forwards.
If they end up getting picks and prospects for Reinhart, you don’t have to worry about anything. Eichel and Reinhart clear up 2 spots, I expect the Eichel trade will come with a piece we have to protect but you never know.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I hope the Sabres don't pay anything significant to Seattle to influence their selection. That is how Vegas got so good. Skinner isn't waiving his NMC. That's not worth discussing.

Okposo is an easy buyout the year after this one, and we don't urgently need cap space if Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto are being traded.

Losing Asplund or Bjork isn't great but not a big deal relative to other teams. I'd rather not lose Borgen because we will be thin at RHD and physical defencemen. But we can easily protect Borgen by trading Risto before the ED.

Protecting Risto in the ED and losing Borgen is the only mistake they could make.

So you protect Borgen by trading Risto for what? Picks? Prospects?

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
If they end up getting picks and prospects for Reinhart, you don’t have to worry about anything. Eichel and Reinhart clear up 2 spots, I expect the Eichel trade will come with a piece we have to protect but you never know.

I don't want picks and prospects for Reinhart either. So the solution is Reinhart and Risto for a strong player, a pick and top prospect. And yet doing this gets me what I'm saying I don't want which is a pick and a prospect for one of them lol. GMKA truly has his hands full.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If they got Skinner to waive his NMC for the expansion draft then just leave him exposed. I doubt Seattle takes him. But if they do we we would have unload a problem contract freeing up 9mil in cap space.

Reactions: Jacob582

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I hope the Sabres trade Miller and a late pick to the Kraken with the Kraken then agreeing to take Eakin in the draft. This is not likely though.

The good news is that the Sabres, like all teams, can only lose one player in the expansion draft.

Although I would prefer not to lose any of Thompson, Asplund, Bjork or Borgen, I don’t think we should fret too much on this. Ideally the Sabres would go out and acquire players who are better than these 4, prior to the expansion draft. Then rather than the Sabres deciding which one of these players to expose, they expose them all and leave the choice to Seattle.

Reactions: Jacob582 and Husko

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I don't get why people are so worried about protecting Borgen. I like the guy, but he's 24, and he's played 4 NHL games. He's not exactly a hot commodity.

Typical Sabres fan. Really a nothing piece, maybe a 4th d man at the high point in his career and more likely a 5,6,7 guy.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I do not know if it works like that, then of course he will not to waive.

To be this seems the only way. If it's just procedural and Sabres give him their word he's not being traded, his only worry is Seattle taking him. And that's not happening. But like I said, I have never seen a clear answer on this and Buffalo media only writes what is spoon fed to them.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't get why people are so worried about protecting Borgen. I like the guy, but he's 24, and he's played 4 NHL games. He's not exactly a hot commodity.

I think some people see Brayden McNabb's success and think Borgen is on the same general path.

I don't necessarily agree, but understand the position.

Frankly, I'm expecting whoever Seattle takes to become a legit NHLer and nice piece for them. Because Buffalo.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I don't have any worries about Borgen becoming a target for the ED, mainly because I don't think Botterill liked Borgen and he's a dime a dozen player that Seattle can find on any team. I'm curious on the influence Botterill will have with Francis, and which players that he may have brought in here, that could be at risk.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

The reason Borgen has only played in 14 games (not 4) the last two years was the incompetence/stupidity of Botts/Krueger and a broken arm.

Borgen, as well as Bryson, should have been in the mix as defensive call ups as early as Krueger’s first season (19-20). Instead we got treated to the glut of dmen Botts waited forever to move out. Which created a logjam keeping Bryson/Borgen in Rochester all year. That dithering by Botts also played a role in Pilut deciding to jump ship to the KHL.

Fast forward to this season and the stupidity of Krueger favoring Irwin/Davison as the go to depth dmen over Bryson/Borgen. Krueger ‘s obsession with playing the perceived “safe vets” over youth was blocking them from the lineup. It took a string of injuries to finally force Krueger to play them.

Specifically to wanting to keep Borgen…… He’s solid defensively, good skater, makes a good first pass, brings an element of toughness we need and can PK effectively. The world will not end if we lose him in the ED but it seems like a wasted opportunity to have a depth dman that brings things we need and for peanuts.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The reason Borgen has only played in 14 games (not 4) the last two years was the incompetence/stupidity of Botts/Krueger and a broken arm.

Borgen, as well as Bryson, should have been in the mix as defensive call ups as early as Krueger’s first season (19-20). Instead we got treated to the glut of dmen Botts waited forever to move out. Which created a logjam keeping Bryson/Borgen in Rochester all year. That dithering by Botts also played a role in Pilut deciding to jump ship to the KHL.

Fast forward to this season and the stupidity of Krueger favoring Irwin/Davison as the go to depth dmen over Bryson/Borgen. Krueger ‘s obsession with playing the perceived “safe vets” over youth was blocking them from the lineup. It took a string of injuries to finally force Krueger to play them.

Specifically to wanting to keep Borgen…… He’s solid defensively, good skater, makes a good first pass, brings an element of toughness we need and can PK effectively. The world will not end if we lose him in the ED but it seems like a wasted opportunity to have a depth dman that brings things we need and for peanuts.

I'm not saying I dislike him as a player. I think he'll be a solid lunchpail, bottom pairing guy for us going forward. What I am saying is there's absolutely no reason to believe he's on Seattle's radar. He's not a high-end talent with a lot of room for growth. He hasn't played many games, and he hasn't done anything particularly special in the ones he has. And you pointed out yourself that Botterill doesn't appear to care much for him. The idea that this is a player we need to go out of our way to protect is pretty silly.

Reactions: Fezzy126

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I expect Francis will take players with potential and low-dollar contracts to flip to another team in return for a cap-crunch veteran and high picks in this or future drafts (as part of a protection deal from another team). He’s smart enough to not focus on just this season.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
How many protection spots does Buffalo have open if they receive 1 to 2 forwards and/or a Dman in a trade that need protection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad