Sabres Expansion Draft Discussion -- Expansion Draft TODAY!!! (Use this for all expansion chatter)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Continued from here

Exposed players:
Forwards--
  • Zemgus Girgensons
  • Cody Eakin
  • Kyle Okposo
  • Jeff Skinner
  • Drake Cagguila
  • Jean-Sebastian Dea
  • Andrew Oglevie
  • Tobias Reider
  • Riley Sheahan
  • Steven Fogarty
  • C.J. Smith
Defense--
  • Will Borgen
  • Brandon Davidson
  • Matt Irwin
  • Jake McCabe
  • Casey Nelson
  • Colin Miller
Goalie--
  • Carter Hutton
  • Dustin Tokarski
  • Michael Houser

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I really don't think they take Borgen. I don't see the point in taking him for Seattle.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'm guessing our 4th round pick will be enough to protect Borgen. They'll have a surplus of players that will need to pass waivers anyway. The rest of our exposed players have 0 or negative value.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I am not at all surprised Ristolainen was protected. I 100% expected him to be. Anyone who thought the Sabres would expose Risto were only kidding themselves.

It’s way too soon to be getting worked up over Risto being protected.
Seattle might not even take Borgen and/or the Sabres may end up getting a better asset for Ristolainen (in a trade) than some people think.
For all we know Kevyn Adams could already have a Risto trade worked out but the team wanted to wait until after the expansion draft. He may also have a deal in place not to take Borgen.

I’m as down on the Sabres as most are but Let’s wait and see what happens before we get mad.

Im not saying I agree with Risto over Borgen. I definitely don’t want to lose Will Borgen. I am a Borgen fan.
but I do understand why they did it.

maybe I’m wrong, but I think Risto is worth more in a trade than whatever asset it would take to keep Seattle from taking Borgen (if that’s what the Sabres want to do).

Right now, how many teams would Borgen be a regular in the lineup every night? Do you think it’s more teams than Risto?
Risto is currently a top 4 defenseman for Buffalo and I believe he would be a regular starter on most NHL teams. The Sabres obviously felt Risto’s value was higher than Borgen’s.

Here’s to hoping Kevyn Adams has a deal with Seattle to take Jeff Skinner!
:laugh:

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018

I'm pushing back against this narrative when I see it.

In another thread I wrote that Seravalli's tweet was a thin analysis of the situation. Anyone who thinks the Sabres failed or were incompetent in not acquiring a goalie pre-expansion draft roster freeze, should be able to present an argument that includes:

- available goalies; and
- what it would have cost to acquire such a goalie; and
- what the potential consequences of trading the goalie would be to the team you are acquiring the goalie from (ex 1: does trading the goalie mean they just lose a different player they would prefer to keep? or, ex 2: were they likely to lose a different player anyway and this would just mean they also lose their back-up goalie?).

The goalies that people think we should have traded for would be, I'm guessing, in the category of Kahkonen, deSmith, Vanicek. The questions are:

- what would you have given up?
- do the teams that hold their rights prefer that Seattle take them over another exposed player?; or
- do the teams that hold their rights think Seattle will take a different player and, therefore, have no reason to trade one of their two goalies?

This narrative that there are multiple good goalies exposed in the draft that were available for trade at a low cost, is a bit of myth in my view.

Last edited:

tim212

Apr 1, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Seattle will have no shortage of proven second and third pairing defensemen.

Giordano, Zadorov, Klefbom, Dunn, Fleury, Bean, Simek, Maata, Soucy, are just A FEW reasonable picks.

They have no need for Borgen.

There is, however, a shortage of reasonably priced younger forwards. Especially those who can play center.

I think they take Girgensons.

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You forgot:
- Average (at best) ability
Miller makes more sense to me since he's been through this before and handled it well. Girgensons makes more sense than Borgen.

Seattle wants to win next year. Borgen doesn't fit that in my opinion.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Miller makes more sense to me since he's been through this before and handled it well. Girgensons makes more sense than Borgen.

Seattle wants to win next year. Borgen doesn't fit that in my opinion.

Want to and able to are not always the same.

Vegas' success out of the gate was exceptionally uncommon.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad