Sabres Expansion Draft Discussion -- Expansion Draft TODAY!!! (Use this for all expansion chatter)

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Just keep holding on to Risto. He'll get us a bag of pucks one of these years.

Seriously.

If they had traded him like 3 years ago, like anyone with any sense told them to, they would have gotten a good return.

Now though . . . they've held him and held him and held him out of some misguided belief that (at first) he was an integral piece of the core, and (later) that he has some great trade value that they'll get someday if they just keep holding out for the right return.

I'm going to laugh when they finally do trade him for a return that's a tiny fraction of what they could have gotten for him if they'd traded him when they should have.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
You forgot:
- Average (at best) ability

I think he’s a good player with the potential to be a 2nd pairing stay at home defenseman, who would allow a player like Dahlin to thrive. But, this team can’t evaluate talent for ****, so we are left to these types of analyses based on what he’s been allowed to do for a team that would rather play Ristolainen 24 mins a game.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
For everyone complaining about this. Please state what your opinion was in Ullmark vs Carrier. I would love to see the overlap in outrage

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think he’s a good player with the potential to be a 2nd pairing stay at home defenseman, who would allow a player like Dahlin to thrive. But, this team can’t evaluate talent for ****, so we are left to these types of analyses based on what he’s been allowed to do for a team that would rather play Ristolainen 24 mins a game.
I’m not sure Seattle takes Borgen. Lots of good dmen available.

There is some cross over on the lists

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
What about Pilut? These boards were praising him to the skies-at least as much as Borgen- and ready to Lynch the Sabres brass--is he not available?

Reactions: pigpen65

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I personally would have protected McCabe over Risto but what can you do… I hope seattle doesn’t take him, he really seemed to turn a corner this year

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
I'm guessing our 4th round pick will be enough to protect Borgen. They'll have a surplus of players that will need to pass waivers anyway. The rest of our exposed players have 0 or negative value.

I’ve heard Francis is asking for a first round pick from any team that wants to keep a player from being selected. I don’t know if it’s true.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What about Pilut? These boards were praising him to the skies-at least as much as Borgen- and ready to Lynch the Sabres brass--is he not available?
I’m pretty sure he is available in the expansion draft. But has the complication of a KHL contract. I think with one more year left on it.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Does anyone even know if Girgs is healthy?

Doesn't Seattle need to take like 20 players that have to play (they can't take so many LTIR guys)?

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Kraken 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

The Kraken will select one player from each team excluding the Golden Knights for a total of 30 (at least 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goalies)

The Kraken also have an exclusive window from July 18-21 to interview and potentially sign pending free agents who were left unprotected in the expansion draft. If they sign a player in that window it counts as their pick from that players' former team.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I’m pretty sure he is available in the expansion draft. But has the complication of a KHL contract. I think with one more year left on it.

Pilut is exempt from the expansion draft. Only seasons played while under an active SPC count for the First and Second Year Professional rule. His KHL seasons don't count for this since is not under contract. (KHL seasons can really never count because there is no transfer agreement.)

Reactions: joshjull

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Yeah I don't get it either. Before Pilut there was the Russian guy who's name I can't remember. And before him it was the second rounder who was traded to Anaheim who's name I cant remember. I guess it's just Buffalo media liking to prop up borderline NHL D prospects to the fans for some reason?

Edit: remembered - Brendan Guhle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad