TBN: Sabres exec on Pegulas' engagement, jersey misspellings, fan concerns

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
My feelings about the Pegula's is basically the same as with Golisano.

If you can't/won't spend the money/effort/time to produce a winning and/or competitive team, sell it and/or let them move out of town. And frankly Golisano only looks good/better because the team/management got lucky on a bet coming out of the lockout. At least you knew or quickly learned he was going to be cheap, with the Pegula's it's been almost a decade and....they just seem incompetent.

I know I'm in the minority in that opinion and most would probably lose their shit over them leaving, but I have very limited interest with the current status quo of them being unable to get out of their own way. Sure, during the Knox/Golisano years, you could cry poor and point to spurts of success, Rigas you could laugh at Buffaluck...but what the hell have the Pegula's achieved with the Sabres? Wasted years, wasted money and now the spectre of continued failures while having the money & resources to do so much more.

The arena is modern day dump, without any of the charms of the Aud. I'd frankly rather still be going to the Aud to see games over the keybank/hsbc/harbour/shitshow place. That's not on the Pegula's but they are clearly winding their way to some sort of Sabres/Bills arena & stadium demand situation since they've taken on the stance of doing nothing while 'gathering data' and 'doing studies' or whatever. A recent article in the Athletic about Vinik and the Lightning highlight the difference in somebody committing to making something work and somebody buying a team and expecting it to just work. He spent the time and effort chasing both business and hockey management people, Pegula tried to hire somebody he met at dinner. Vinik spent 80 million on stadium improvements, the Sabres got new dressing rooms, when if they were on a budget, it should have been spend on finding proper management.

What is to explain the complete lack of forethought they've displayed specifically in this 50th anniversary season? I have no idea, but the past years give them no leeway for excuses and the lack of acumen gives them no benefit of the doubt towards the future.

The worst part is I suspect that between the value of an NHL team, and their investments in the surrounding area, they will be making money on whatever happens out of this venture. In the end money makes money, it would be nice if some of us got to enjoy the side benefit of a winning sports franchise...

Thank you for attending my TED talk. Now to commence with continued Gin & Tonics...
Oh boy is it grim around here. All of these rants always seem to be on a game day when the Sabres are losing.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
We keep calling for the heads of one GM after another. Why is that? Who hires these morons? Our anger is misplaced.

It's time to fire the Pegulas.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The Sabres are losing so I hope the team relocates is toddler level whining.

Maybe it’s less destructive for one fan to move on than wish the entire team to leave the city for good.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
We keep calling for the heads of one GM after another. Why is that? Who hires these morons? Our anger is misplaced.

It's time to fire the Pegulas.
Terry Pegula addressed that sentiment at a press conference.
pegula.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes