TBN: Sabres exec on Pegulas' engagement, jersey misspellings, fan concerns

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Honestly wish Kim would leave the team alone. Her pet project because she’s the wife of a billionaire doesn’t mean she’s qualified to make business decisions for a sport she obviously doesn’t understand. Terry not having the nuts to hire someone who does know what they’re doing to guide her is just as baffling. Quite obvious who the shot caller is in that marriage.

Honestly, you have no idea what Kim Pegula does or doesn't understand.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What are the Pegula's actually going to say? "We're disappointed and we are as frustrated as the fans are." "We trust botterill's process and hope to be competitive next year." "our goal is to bring stanley cups to buffalo and that has never changed."

There...that's your interview with the pegula's in a nutshell.
"The fans demanded we hire a hockey guy to fix the team and get out of the way. That's what we did."

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
who cares if they missed the deadline to wear the black and red....they should have wore them in warmups anyway. What, would the NHL have fined them for doing that?
What "them" would they be wearing? It seems pretty clear that the throwback jerseys they would have liked to wear do not actually exist.

Sound_n_Fury

Apr 3, 2005
If Pegs had said the exact same words as Adams, I don't see what that would change in terms of where the team is. They'd still suck, but people would be OK with that because the owner 'cares?'

That, and $2.95, would buy me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If Pegs had said the exact same words as Adams, I don't see what that would change in terms of where the team is. They'd still suck, but people would be OK with that because the owner 'cares?'

That, and $2.95, would buy me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

It's not really about caring, the people who think the Pegula's legitimately don't care about the team are either frustrated or out to lunch. Answering questions themselves would just show us they aren't afraid of the criticism and angry fans, because right now it looks like they are. Reverse the situation, if the team was doing amazing and were a shoe-in for the playoffs, do you think they'd be around in the press more? I do.

Even if they don't want to do it themselves, then HIRE SOMEONE. Kevyn Adams? Since when is Adams the face of the franchise responsible for PR? Again, it just looks like they're scared to face anything negative going on with the team so they threw out a random guy from the front office with a name a lot of people would recognize to pander to the fans and tell them how awesome they are for being engaged.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I definitely agree, but even a direct interview with Kim would still be placation. If it were Terry it would be awkward placation.
Problem is I think some of the media pushes Terry's availability because they know it won't be a great showing and will give them more content.

Like is there anything Harrington would like to write about more than how incompetent ownership is? I think a lot of the media calling for transparency is just them wanting a chance to look tough

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The problem is that winning organizations are usually owned by (rich businessmen aside) type A personalities, Alpha Males.

Any Billionaire who gives his untalented (at the sport or in general) wife equal billing is anything but an A type of personality.

Given his constant inability to have a clue about running sports franchises, I am convinced he succeeded with Sean McDermott out of luck more than any sudden sports enlightenment.

Come on, a babysitter owner (and shrewdly opportunistic) Thomas Golisano ran a better organization than Terrence has been able to do.

Time to get your "onions" out of your wife's purse, Tiger....

:facepalm:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Well what's the actual suggestion then for the people who say they should have "worn the jerseys anyway"? That the Sabres should have scrounged around for actual vintage slug or goathead or whatever jerseys?
Just about every minor league on Earth has no problem getting one off specialty jerseys made for auctions. It would be nowhere near as difficult as you make it sound.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Just about every minor league on Earth has no problem getting one off specialty jerseys made for auctions. It would be nowhere near as difficult as you make it sound.
Those teams presumably 1) have working fax machines and 2) are working with the company that is licensed to produce their jerseys and not working without them and in defiance of existing contracts, which as far as I can tell is what people are suggesting the Sabres should have done after their initial failure.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Those teams presumably 1) have working fax machines and 2) are working with the company that is licensed to produce their jerseys and not working without them and in defiance of existing contracts, which as far as I can tell is what people are suggesting the Sabres should have done after their initial failure.
And if that's the case then I still have no idea why adidas would object? If I was running the company and was presented with the opportunity to make and sell a product that would make me a ton of money I wouldn't give a flying fig about some deadline. A few years ago the Isles did fisherman warmups. I've seen people who won them and they were not made by Reebok. The entire situation is nonsensical and illogical from every conceivable angle.

Reactions: brian_griffin

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
And if that's the case then I still have no idea why adidas would object? If I was running the company and was presented with the opportunity to make and sell a product that would make me a ton of money I wouldn't give a flying fig about some deadline. A few years ago the Isles did fisherman warmups. I've seen people who won them and they were not made by Reebok. The entire situation is nonsensical and illogical from every conceivable angle.
Let me quote another post for you from this thread.

It’s much easier to get a warmup jersey approved than it is a game jersey.
You see many variations of current templates during warmups, but as soon as you’re attempting to use a new template, problems crop up.

This is what I heard: after the throwback game jerseys were bungled, the team wanted to at least wear throwbacks during warmups on each of the different era nights.
This wasn’t possible though, as none of the throwbacks had been adapted to the new Adidas template, and the lead time of the request wasn’t great enough to even create them for warmup jerseys.

What is being indicated here is that the Sabres did not give enough time for Adidas to actually make the jerseys. It wasn't simply a matter of some arbitrary deadline not being met, it was a logistical issue.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Answers seemed drone-like.

I don’t doubt that
the Pegulas care. I do doubt their management hiring aptitude. Q.E.D.

In fairness he's not going to just say they're incompetent.

I wonder how much of the toxicity in the front office still lingers from and potential hurt the Pegulas feel about the Lafontaine situation. It really feels as if that never really got fixed.

Last edited:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
IF Botts is not a in front of the camera type guy, which he is not (thats fine), and the Pegula's dont do pressers, which they dont (also fine) they really need a guy to answer the questions. TMGM for all his faults would talk to the fans/media. Bring in a Ted Black/John Davidson type to work the soft skills.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
“Botterill has emphasized the importance of patience while building the Sabres through drafting and developing young players.”

Patiently wait for him to invest draft picks in offensively skilled forwards. Only 5 years away if he starts now.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Honestly wish Kim would leave the team alone. Her pet project because she’s the wife of a billionaire doesn’t mean she’s qualified to make business decisions for a sport she obviously doesn’t understand. Terry not having the nuts to hire someone who does know what they’re doing to guide her is just as baffling. Quite obvious who the shot caller is in that marriage.
How do we know Kim’s the one who needs (more) help, and not Terry? Presumption?
Honestly, you have no idea what Kim Pegula does or doesn't understand.
exactly

What is hurting the Sabres more? Hockey decisions or business decisions?

Reactions: debaser66

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
The problem is that winning organizations are usually owned by (rich businessmen aside) type A personalities, Alpha Males.

Any Billionaire who gives his untalented (at the sport or in general) wife equal billing is anything but an A type of personality.

Given his constant inability to have a clue about running sports franchises, I am convinced he succeeded with Sean McDermott out of luck more than any sudden sports enlightenment.

Come on, a babysitter owner (and shrewdly opportunistic) Thomas Golisano ran a better organization than Terrence has been able to do.

Time to get your "onions" out of your wife's purse, Tiger....

:facepalm:
So if Terry wore the pants instead of Kim, everything would be better?

Why?

What if Kim is the type A personality? She couldn’t possibly succeed in sports because she’s a woman? It has to be a male ‘type a’ owner to have success?

I disagree with this whole premise anyway. I think winning organizations have all types of owners. I don’t think you need a type A male owner to have success.

Personally, I think that owners who hire the best possible people that they can find in their sport and then get out of their way are the ones who have the most success.

I guess all the Sabres need is for Jerry Jones to take over...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5