Sabres & Erie Otters (OHL) FNC Event – IceDogs at Otters – Wed Oct 22, 7:00PM ET

Bps21*

you know what would be hilarious and would get people mad screaming collusion is if we do get McDavid and suddenly McKee becomes an assistant for the sabres

If we do end up with Connor McDavid...there will be no end to the conspiracy theories.

McDavid at Bills games, playing at FNC, McKee is a coach, McDavid attending sabres games as a fan, Pegula building the Harborcenter, Pegula taking the combine from Toronto that used to cost the NHL millions...he literally is saving them millions of dollars by moving it to the state of the art facility he built to use for...hockey, losing the lottery last year, changing the odds this year to make it look harder, changing the whole system next year to stop complaining since "hey...we took steps to address this"...

If I wasn't a Buffalo fan I'd believe it myself.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
4-2 Erie after 20, shots 17-10 Erie.

McDavid with 3A.
Strome 1A
DeBrincat (2016) with 2G 1A
Betz (FA) 2A

I get that judging players after one game (especially with my eye) but me (and the guys sitting next to me) where impressed by Betz. Late bloomer? Or beneficiary of being huge and playing with McDavid?

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
If we do end up with Connor McDavid...there will be no end to the conspiracy theories.

McDavid at Bills games, playing at FNC, McKee is a coach, McDavid attending sabres games as a fan, Pegula building the Harborcenter, Pegula taking the combine from Toronto that used to cost the NHL millions...he literally is saving them millions of dollars by moving it to the state of the art facility he built to use for...hockey, losing the lottery last year, changing the odds this year to make it look harder, changing the whole system next year to stop complaining since "hey...we took steps to address this"...

Good points. If I was a fan of another team and the Sabres won it I would 100% think it was fixed even if we finish in last. :laugh:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
McDavid steal and drop pass:

Also, here's the YT of the previously posted SH breakaway:

...and of his four points:

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I started an OHL Live account to purchase this game and boy am I glad that I did. #97 is a phenomenal hockey player who comes exactly as advertised. Wow!

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
McDavid showcases his skills in Sabres' home rink
Being in the spotlight is something Connor McDavid has gotten used to already in his career. But playing in a NHL arena in front of NHL fans is something new.

The 17-year-old Erie Otters center is one of the most anticipated prospects in years and may wind up being the first selection in the 2015 NHL Draft. McDavid's Otters defeated the Niagara IceDogs 8-4 Wednesday in an Ontario Hockey League game at First Niagara Center and he knows the attention on him is growing.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Otters Roll To 8-4 Win At First Niagara Center - Erie Otters Official Website - OttersHockey.com - Wednesday, October 22.

Buffalo, New York – The Otters had six players with a multi-point night in the 8-4 victory over the Niagara IceDogs at First Niagara Center in Buffalo, New York.
Alex DeBrincat scored two goals, Connor McDavid picked up a goal and three assists as the Otters advanced to 9-0-0-1 on the season.

http://www.ottershockey.com/article/otters-roll-to-8-4-win-at-first-niagara-center

Game Summary - Otters 8 IceDogs 4 - Wednesday, October 22 - OntarioHockeyLeague.com - http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/schedule/show/game/68070
Scorers Sheet - Otters 8 IceDogs 4 - Wednesday, October 22 - OntarioHockeyLeague.com - http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/schedule/scoresheet/game/68070

@ErieOtters - Thanks also to all our fans who made the drive up to Buffalo to cheer us on. You showed everyone why you're the best fans in junior hockey.
@ErieOtters - After some time to reflect on an awesome night, we'd like to thank the @BuffaloSabres fans and staff for making us feel right at home.

Connor Brown @Breeze2Greeze - Nice to see all my ex teammates and staff with the @ErieOtters tonight in Buffalo!
First Class Organization #OnceAnOtter #AlwaysAnOtter

(LaxSabre - Connor Brown - who was the leading scorer in the OHL last season with Erie (68 GP, 45 G, 83 A, 128 PTS) - currently plays for the Toronto Marlies.
Brown was the lone goal scorer for the Marlies last Saturday in their 4-1 loss at home to the Amerks.)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
tbh i'm hoping the nhl does rig it for buffalo

That's exactly what we want so when we finally win a championship, everyone tells us how its not a real championship, etc.

I'd rather be suffer through more 20 seasons of this then have the championship everyone in WNY has been waited for be tainted like that.

Clock

May 13, 2006
That's exactly what we want so when we finally win a championship, everyone tells us how its not a real championship, etc.

I'd rather be suffer through more 20 seasons of this then have the championship everyone in WNY has been waited for be tainted like that.

Heh, really?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to care less, because Buffalo championship.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
McDavid, Otters Shine On NHL Stage - By Victor Fernandes - Erie Times-News - GoErie.com - Wednesday, October 22.

Buffalo, NY - Connor McDavid was the center of attention for the first OHL game in the Buffalo Sabres' hockey home. Sabres fans want McDavid, the projected No. 1 pick in the 2015 NHL draft, to make Buffalo his home next season. But on Wednesday night, he wasn't the only Erie Otter who felt at home at First Niagara Center.

McDavid led the way with a goal and three assists. But 11 other Otters contributed to another potent offensive performance in an 8-4 win against Niagara in front of a pro-McDavid crowd of 11,391 fans - the largest to ever watch an Otters' game in franchise history.

"I thought we got off to a pretty good start there. My linemates (Alex DeBrincat and Nick Betz) played very well. So it was a good game for us," said McDavid, who was happy to spread the credit around a team that tied a season high in goals.

It was well-deserved praise. That top line combined for three goals and seven assists, with DeBrincat scoring his league-best 12th and 13th goals of the season and Betz adding three assists. Kurtis MacDermid scored his first two goals of the season from defense. Troy Donnay added a goal from the blue line, while rookie center Shaun Bily scored his first OHL goal.

http://www.goerie.com/mcdavid-otters-shine-on-nhl-stage

McDavid Show Gets Rave Reviews Downtown - Amy Moritz - Buffalo News Sports Reporter - BuffaloNews.com - Wednesday, October 22.

It was near the end of the first period when it happened. What everyone who came to First Niagara Center on Wednesday night was eager to see. His team shorthanded, Connor McDavid picked up the puck, exploded through the neutral zone, then weaved the puck around the defender to go in one-on-one with the goalie. He didn’t score. But it didn’t matter. It was electric. Speed and vision.

Those are McDavid’s claims to fame. And all aspects of his game were on display in front of 11,391 as the Erie Otters defeated the Niagara Ice Dogs, 8-4, in an Ontario League Hockey matchup. He finished with a goal and three assists. The likely No. 1 pick in next summer’s NHL draft has been called a generational player. With a strong possibility of McDavid landing in Buffalo in the draft, fans came out to see the young superstar and he didn’t disappoint.

“It’s not a whole lot of thinking that you’re doing,” is how McDavid described his game and that play in particular. “If it is thinking, often times you’re going to get caught. It just has to be instinct. And that’s something I think I may have. It’s just creativity and looking to try different plays.”

Then again, it’s not a total absence of thinking. When pressed, McDavid talks through his process on that head-turning play. “You get the pass and obviously you know,” the defenseman is there, McDavid said. “He had a good step on me. I tried to shake him a little bit and burn him wide but he stayed with me. You take one hard step and now he’s gotta commit. He commits and as soon as he lunges forward, you try to cut back. I wasn’t necessarily looking to try and go through his feet or anything like that. I think I was more trying to go through his stick because I thought he might have been lunging forward a little bit. It just went through his feet.”

It’s the type of “wow” play people have come to expect from McDavid.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/s...2944D177221B381926937B59B69551BD733769B5752D3

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I would be against it too but I couldn't care less what people have to say about a Sabres Cup victory.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Phenom Connor McDavid Dazzles Buffalo Fans In Otters Win - Bill Hoppe - Olean Times Herald - Wednesday, October 22.

Buffal, NY - Six months ago, Steve Poland paid $110 for a discounted gold Sabres alternate jersey at the team store and had 17-year-old junior superstar Connor McDavid’s last name and No. 97 stitched on it. “I bought it as a joke for this forthcoming season,” Poland said Wednesday prior to watching McDavid and the Erie Otters inside the First Niagara Center.

Poland, like a lot of rabid fans, wants the Sabres to lose all season so they have a 20 percent chance to earn the No. 1 pick in the NHL draft lottery. “We all knew this was what this coming year was going to be about,” Poland said. For some, it’s all about McDavid. “Hopefully,” Poland said, “we get the full show tonight.”

The 11,391 fans watching McDavid got the full show Wednesday, a dynamic one-goal, four-point effort in the Otters’ 8-4 win against the Niagara IceDogs. The scintillating performance will only increase the fawning over the phenom. McDavid dominated from the get-go, creating a scoring chance just 24 seconds into the contest. He recorded his first assist at 3:57 and had three before the first period ended.

Secondary assists can often just be a simple dish, but McDavid earned two by creating the first two goals. Before the period ended, McDavid scorched a Niagara defender as he roared into the zone, one-handing the puck by him. “I was just a little bit fortunate to one-hand it by the guy,” McDavid said. “If I didn’t make it, I don’t think coach would be too happy about that.” McDavid scored in third period, his ninth goal and 29th point in 10 games this season.

Erie general manager Sherry Bassin had a similar feeling after watching McDavid up close for the first time three years ago in Toronto. “It was like a 9 o’clock game, minor midget game, and everybody’s talking about him,” he said. “The guys say, ‘Wait until you see this guy.’” When puck dropped, “He takes it like from a standing still start. It’s a like a sprinter coming out of the box,” he said.

Bassin likes to joke his dog, Newman, a traveling companion, knew after two shifts McDavid was the real deal. “Here’s the best way to say it,” he said, “when you first saw him, you wanted to go back and see him more because you enjoyed it so much.”

Rest Of The Article - http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/phenom-connor-mcdavid-dazzles-buffalo-fans-in-otters-win/

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
McDAVID DOESN'T DISAPPOINT BUFFALO CROWD IN 8-4 WIN
20141022-McDavid-Top.jpg

It’s not rare that Connor McDavid does something his coach had never thought of before.

On Wednesday night at First Niagara Center, for example, McDavid received the puck on a shorthanded break late in the first period with only one man to beat. That man was Niagara IceDogs defenseman Vince Dunn, who managed to keep pace with McDavid down the ice and towards the net. McDavid tried to take him wide, but realized he couldn’t shake him.

As he neared the net, however, he noticed Dunn lunging forward, so McDavid took a hard step. Dunn was forced to commit, and, with the defender stuck, McDavid quickly cut back and slipped the puck between Dunn’s legs to create a shot for himself directly in front of the net.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Otters Thump IceDogs In Buffalo - Bernie Puchalski - St. Catharines Standard - Wednesday, October 22.

Buffalo, NY - There’s not much good that a coach can say after his hockey team gets thumped 8-4. “We got a rough call on the first goal, Mo (Brent Moran) didn’t have a comfortable game in goal, and the team didn’t help him in front,” said Niagara IceDogs head coach/GM Marty Williamson, following the road loss to the Erie Otters Wednesday night. “It just wasn’t a good game at all for us.”

Niagara trailed 4-2 after the first period before the Otters scored the only two goals of the second to build a 6-2 advantage. “We battled a little bit in the first and I don’t think it was that bad,” Williamson said. “We made a couple big blunders and the one goal it was questionable whether it had even went in.”

Then things went from bad to worse for the IceDogs. “We played poorly in the second and third periods,” he said. “We had guys doing too much, guys doing not enough, not getting any saves and not getting any goals. It’s just a bad, bad situation.”

The game was played in front of 11,391 fans at First Niagara Center and superstar-in-waiting Connor McDavid didn’t disappoint. The player expected to be picked first overall in next year’s NHL junior draft scored a goal and added three assists. “He is phenomenal and in 11 years I don’t think I’ve seen anyone as good as what he brings to the table,” Williamson said. “But you have to play well as a team. “The mistakes and the lack of effort to get to areas on the ice makes the game awfully easy for him. And he doesn’t need any help.”

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2014/10/22/otters-thump-icedogs-in-buffalo

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I highly doubt it since the Sabres are likely to be in the bottom 3 at the time of the lottery.

The only way any conspiracy theories will have any traction whatsoever is if the Blues or Isles just miss the playoffs, the Sabres finish 30th again, the Sabres win the lottery with the Isles/Blues pick, and they own the 1st and 2nd overall picks.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I highly doubt it since the Sabres are likely to be in the bottom 3 at the time of the lottery.

The only way any conspiracy theories will have any traction whatsoever is if the Blues or Isles just miss the playoffs, the Sabres finish 30th again, the Sabres win the lottery with the Isles/Blues pick, and they own the 1st and 2nd overall picks.

I'm willing to suffer through the conspiracy theories :laugh:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I love the imagery here... maybe a little foreshadowing?

McDavid wearing blue and gold, flying over the Sabres logo 1 on 1 with a defensman wearing a Blackhawks jersey, in the playoffs maybe?

Buffalo's Adopted son vs Buffalo's Disowned Son :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad