TBN: Sabres' Eichel Wasn't telling...

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
What? He's here for the next 7 years. He'll get over it and so will the fans. It seemed to work too so what's the problem?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Than start winning kid. Tired of watching suck on TV and not being overly excited about attending games.

Suffering is right when Darcy said it. Unfortunately its not like we just started suffering at the start of a rebuild. We we're suffering way before when we we're that 14-16 range bubble team with bad 1st round selections which hurt us.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
What? He's here for the next 7 years. He'll get over it and so will the fans. It seemed to work too so what's the problem?

It's not the booing, it's the fan reaction to Jack's interview. People on twitter calling him a diva, and Mike Schopp **** on him pretty wretchedly last night. It's just gross how poorly many of us in the Sabres community treat our stars.

Edit: I'm not saying we should kiss their *****, but for god's sake, the kid was being emotional about getting booed? Good! I'd rather have it get him and ignite him that have booing roll of his back like it's nothing.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Oh for the love of....
Fans boo their hockey team in every city. Doesn't matter if they are a cup contender or a bottom feeder. If the hockey is bad, then the fans aren't afraid to say so.

edit- just checked their articles and for a change TBN is clarifying a position. I still think it's all ridiculous

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think many are missing the point of all this.

The booing wasn't a big deal.
Neither was the interview.

It's the aftermath of the interview that is stupid, and was the focus of this article.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Than start winning kid. Tired of watching suck on TV and not being overly excited about attending games.

Suffering is right when Darcy said it. Unfortunately its not like we just started suffering at the start of a rebuild. We we're suffering way before when we we're that 14-16 range bubble team with bad 1st round selections which hurt us.

Considering he's really the only thing worth watching, I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It's not the booing, it's the fan reaction to Jack's interview. People on twitter calling him a diva, and Mike Schopp **** on him pretty wretchedly last night. It's just gross how poorly many of us in the Sabres community treat our stars.

Edit: I'm not saying we should kiss their *****, but for god's sake, the kid was being emotional about getting booed? Good! I'd rather have it get him and ignite him that have booing roll of his back like it's nothing.

I was pretty disappointed when I turned on WGR and they were talking about this. All I wanted to do was hear them talk about how amazing the game was, but I guess that doesn't get the phone lines to light up. Their seemed to be more callers over this than their have been for any topic in a while. Just disappointing. I couldn't find it less interesting.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I think many are missing the point of all this.

The booing wasn't a big deal.
Neither was the interview.

It's the aftermath of the interview that is stupid, and was the focus of this article.

What aftermath? Fans gripe and complain because that's part of being a sports fan. If your team is winning you brag. If your team is losing you complain.
Sports media need to fill hours of air time a week, so everything gets dissected.

Eichel said it best "people take things and run with it." He doesn't soundly deeply offended or done with buffalo. This is a nothing moment that will be forgotten in a few weeks.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I was pretty disappointed when I turned on WGR and they were talking about this. All I wanted to do was hear them talk about how amazing the game was, but I guess that doesn't get the phone lines to light up. Their seemed to be more callers over this than their have been for any topic in a while. Just disappointing. I couldn't find it less interesting.

It really was disappointing. Not only not interesting, but infuriating. I stopped listening.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What aftermath? Fans gripe and complain because that's part of being a sports fan. If your team is winning you brag. If your team is losing you complain.
Sports media need to fill hours of air time a week, so everything gets dissected.

Eichel said it best "people take things and run with it." He doesn't soundly deeply offended or done with buffalo. This is a nothing moment that will be forgotten in a few weeks.

Not unless the media writes up three different articles about this twisting it to get clicks/reads.

I assume the next few articles will be similar to:

"Buffalo not a destination for Players after Pegula wanting them to be a destination" - there will be a mention of this moment

"Jack Eichel has more learning to do on and off the ice" - This moment will be a focus for them as proof of it

"Rift in the Dressing Room has Bylsma on hot seat" - This will be tied into that somehow

:laugh:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

I call ******** on that. Schopp, the biggest name in a one sports radio station town, **** all over a 20 year old kid for not liking getting booed. So then, Eichel gets asked about it, and his answer belies the fact that he knew his interview was a topic of discussion, and he's defensive about it in that article. And that is utterly stupid.

It's really not that kids job to understand the emotional train wreck we've been on in this town. I really don't give a **** if Eichel gets that Brady losing would have been wonderful schadenfreude for Buffalonians. I don't care that he loves Boston sports. It's not his job to become Buffalo. That **** is so needy. It's his job to win for us. When he doesn't: boos. When he does: cheers.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Schopp's comments yesterday were the perfect example of a person throwing out a dog whistle for the maniacs to get worked up about a 20 year old making a light comment. Then when ppl call in to follow up with shots at eichel, he is surprised and can't believe that he didn't see it coming.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I call ******** on that. Schopp, the biggest name in a one sports radio station town, **** all over a 20 year old kid for not liking getting booed. So then, Eichel gets asked about it, and his answer belies the fact that he knew his interview was a topic of discussion, and he's defensive about it in that article. And that is utterly stupid.

It's really not that kids job to understand the emotional train wreck we've been on in this town. I really don't give a **** if Eichel gets that Brady losing would have been wonderful schadenfreude for Buffalonians. I don't care that he loves Boston sports. It's not his job to become Buffalo. That **** is so needy. It's his job to win for us. When he doesn't: boos. When he does: cheers.

What exactly are you calling ******** on?
I agree with you: it's ridiculous that the media dissects these moments, but like it or not, that's their job.
It's not Eichel's job to take on the woes of Buffalo's sports history. It is Eichel's job to score goals and help win games (which i think he does very well) and when the team is not winning or doing well, then the fans boo.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Much ado about nothing.

I think this kind of comment gets made 2-3x per year by someone on the team after a frustrating game, and the reaction is usually some variation of the same. Somebody complains about the player, somebody complains about the fans, there's a blurb in the paper. Maybe this time it's just more attention because he's Jack Eichel.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Not unless the media writes up three different articles about this twisting it to get clicks/reads.

I assume the next few articles will be similar to:

"Buffalo not a destination for Players after Pegula wanting them to be a destination" - there will be a mention of this moment

"Jack Eichel has more learning to do on and off the ice" - This moment will be a focus for them as proof of it

"Rift in the Dressing Room has Bylsma on hot seat" - This will be tied into that somehow

:laugh:

All written by Harrington :rolleyes:

I would change the first headline to "Absentee Owner Fails to Fulfill Promise of Hockey Heaven." :laugh:

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
We would be wise as a fan base not to project the cynical, neurotic attitude leftover from the tank years on to our young star.

Down 3-1 after the 2nd to one of the best teams in the league does not deserve boos.

This team has fought it's way into a playoff race for the first time in 5 years. They've done it in the face of a terrible injury bug and ****** luck in a year that most didn't expect a playoff birth. Believing in them now and showing it, even with their plodding style and untimely let downs, is what builds the bond between fans and team into the future. I think that's what Jack is getting at.

Ultimately, I wish we were more like a European football fan base. Show up and yell your guts out for the boys. Represent our community with the spirit and pride we share. If they don't have it that day, try to inspire it out of them. If they really deserve hell, give it to them then. The whine and cheese crowd at games these days (and in the exiting the game early thread) is an embarrassment to the fervent Buffalonians that used to make The Aud a madhouse.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The story and the article is a big nothing burger. Except to those that like drama.

I can't believe some of you clowns still listen to Schopp and BD. I mean really? Are you that hard up for low brow entertainment? Wow.

Pegula is absolutely not an absentee owner. Another nothing burger from the bowels of ignorance.

Mark717

Mar 10, 2013
Buffalo, NY
And to think all of this because those fans were probably booing the defensemen not being able to complete a pass to the forwards.

I doubt many were booing Jack. We were playing pitiful. And maybe it did light a fire under our *****. But he just said a simple comment after the game.

We all know how we are while playing sports and being in the heat of the moment. He's just defending his teammates, even if he might be wrong.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
A non story. He has a point. Probably shouldn't express it. He's young and learning the ropes.

Everyone Loves the Kid!!!

Lets move on

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Generations from now, the anthropological standard-bearers of our post-apocalyptic progeny will sift through the rubble of ruin, seeking the catalyst for the destruction of our 21st century society, and conclude it was the proliferation of message board comments and Twitter as accepted forms of rational discourse.

Can there be any other outcome?

edit: can someone PM me with instructions how to put the above at the footnote/bottom of my posts like some posters have configured?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad