News Article: Sabres' Eichel gives his thoughts

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I posted this in the management discussion but I thought this deserved its own thread

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/19/sabres-eichel-gives-thoughts-coaching-perception-stories/

Significant quotes:

I’m not the only guy. Speaking with other guys, everybody wanted change. In order to do that, you’ve got to voice your opinion to the coach and to the GM, and I think we did a good job of that as a group.

I want to be here for a long time. That’s the way I look at it. I don’t want to go anywhere else. I don’t want anybody to think that I want to be somewhere else. I want to be here, and I want to help this team win in any way that I can do that. I just want all the people there to know that

Pretty clear shot (IMO deserved) at Hammy and the sports 'journalists' (sans Vogl) at TBN:

First, when you see that people are writing these things and saying that you said these things, my first thought is where are they getting this information? If it’s not coming out of my mouth and I didn’t verbally say it to you or anybody, then where are you getting this information? Second of all, why are you writing it and trying to back yourself up on it?

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I just hope the Buffalo media circus doesn't ruin Buffalo for Jack. I swear half those guys are deliberately trying to destroy the few nice things the Sabres have so, when they're gone, they can complain about how the organization screwed up.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I just hope the Buffalo media circus doesn't ruin Buffalo for Jack. I swear half those guys are deliberately trying to destroy the few nice things the Sabres have so, when they're gone, they can complain about how the organization screwed up.

Job security lol

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015

I wouldn't worry about this. Eichel grew up in the Boston market, and their sports media is even worse than Buffalo's. I've lived in Boston since 1995, and while Buffalo's sports radio commentary is dumber than Boston's, Boston's is much worse in terms of being angry and trying to make themselves the center of attention.

I remember when there were people screaming that the Red Sox should trade in-his-prime Pedro Martinez because he skipped team picture day.

There is no way Jack is surprised by toxic sports media.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Jack is a guy dedicated to winning. I really don't like the media people here.

I don't think the usual suspect clowns will ruin Buffalo or the Sabres for him, if he's already going out and clearing up his side of the issues today. Doesn't seem like he wants to leave or hates it here. More of someone (obviously) perturbed that some guys are taking things and running even if the thing is wrong.

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Are you a Buffalo sports fan? If so, Living in Boston for past 20 years you've done your time in purgatory.

I am not at all a fan of American football, so my response to d-bag pats fans (sorry, "d-bag pats fan" is redundant, isn't it?) is just to pretend I have no idea what they're talking about. Even they can't be annoying if I refuse to engage with them.

I grew up a fan of the Sabres, and I loved baseball but never really connected with any particular team, so I've happily become a Red Sox fan now that I actually have a hometown team.

And I get along fine with Bruins fans. They have no real animosity towards the Sabres, and it wasn't until the last few years that the Bruins became a team worth disliking (the Lucic-Marchand era, essentially). So if I showed up to root against the Habs or Rangers, we'd all get along great.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Soooo...........pitch forks and torches for the Sabres fans mob heading to TBN then?

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

I'd imagine that any hockey market would be similar to this. Sure, vilify the one elite prospect this team has had in 30 years and run him out of town for some clicks :shakehead:

Glad to see Eichel come out and say what he actually said. This is obviously speculation but could anyone else imagine Eichel saying something along the lines that he does not want to play the same way they have the last two years? Then of course it gets twisted into he doesn't want to sign an extension if Bylsma is the coach etc etc.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I like Jack. He wants the Sabres to win games. I want the Sabres to win games. He's just a little frustrated, not a big deal. Agree with what Tsujimoto said about our awful media though - can't y'all sell positivity for once?

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I like Jack. He wants the Sabres to win games. I want the Sabres to win games. He's just a little frustrated, not a big deal. Agree with what Tsujimoto said about our awful media though - can't y'all sell positivity for once?

It's a funny reality that there's no market for hope in a city where our teams have never won anything—economics 101 would state the opposite, that the market is huge and should be capitalized upon.

I think that what's happening is that team ownership (pegula) hasn't seen this yet and doesn't understand how the fanbase around here works. He seems like a smart guy. He'll figure it out in time. If either of our teams won a championship it would look like Buffalo got leveled by a bomb. There would be nothing left.

Give us our destruction, Terry.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Jack's an intelligent guy. I believe him when he says he wants to be here long-term.

I don't doubt Jack rounded up the opinions of say half the team and went to Tim Murray about it. But I don't think Jack "went rogue" and said "ditch Disco or trade me/I'm not re-signing here". That doesn't seem like who he is. He's frustrated as we all are.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
"First, when you see that people are writing these things and saying that you said these things, my first thought is where are they getting this information? If it’s not coming out of my mouth and I didn’t verbally say it to you or anybody, then where are you getting this information? Second of all, why are you writing it and trying to back yourself up on it"

So he's saying Hamilton is lying.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
So the only thing that "Eichel wants Byslma gone" journalists have is some vague unnamed source that everyone seemed to be twitter quoting.

The actual sources, mainly from factual interviews says nothing about Eichel blasting the coach.

While lockerroom cleanout day quotes weren't some glowing recommendation of Bylsma. Eichel said nothing to warrant him being a "coach killer".

The entire drama is nothing more than twitter rumors stirring drama.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
the buffoonery of the buffalo sports media in its full glory.

Twitter sourcing isn't just a Buffalo phenomena. This crap is going on throughout the sports media world.

This crap is nothing compared to what you see with Euro league football/soccer drama.

While it's true that buffalo sports media is quite the mess. Lets keep in mind this type of garbage isn't exclusive to one town.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Pegula should start a second newspaper in this city and run the Buffalo news out of town.

The paper is hemmoraging eyeballs by the week. Besides coupon Sunday, the rest of the days have abysmal numbers. And even Sunday's paper is dropping.

Sullivan and Harrington don't make nearly the impact or impression they did 10 - 15 years ago. Now if only we can get all posters to not retweet any of their opinions... that's a true victory.

Oh yea... and Hamilton has been terrible for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad