News Article: Sabres' Eichel gives his thoughts

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
He didn't deny, specifically, that his extending is dependent on Bylsma being fired. He said they are on the same page, that page could be his termination notice. He said he's wants to sign long term, no qualifiers. Then snarks at the reporter with ambiguity.

It's tactical, hit the right beats while committing to nothing. Then attempted to direct discussion towards credibility of the reporter and away from his non-denial denial.

Certainly didn't get *yup, I'll sign that 8x8 deal no matter who the coach is* feeling.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Blysma is not the right coach and the players see it. This should not be put onto Eichel. It is complete amateur by Pegula and Tim Murray to carry this out.

I thought Pegula would win us a cup and instead he has turned this team into a circus.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
No wonder you guys love Vogl. Lobs a bunch of softballs and serves as Eichel's PR. I guess that's the price for access, but it's garbage reporting.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
No wonder you guys love Vogl. Lobs a bunch of softballs and serves as Eichel's PR. I guess that's the price for access, but it's garbage reporting.

Consider the sports reporter. His relevance is almost always determined by his access. His access is determined by his relationships.

Nearly every time you see a reporter talking about a players charitable work or offseason plans...it's a planned piece by his agent/publicist. The scope of questions is approved ahead of time and the player is prepared.

This certainly is a puff piece, likely requested by the team/player agent. Vogl is simply doing them a favor to keep the relationship well. Guess who the agent will "leak" details to about his contract negotiations.

Sports writers aren't "real" journalists. They are content producers designed to generate clicks/sell papers covering an entertainment business. They aren't trying to find the Russia connection to Trump, they aren't reporting on Syria using chemical weapons....they're covering millionaire athletes complaining about millionaire coaches who are all owned by Billionaires. The truth of this makes me chuckle whenever writers at TBN get on their high horse about things. Most sports writers are glorified gossip columnists.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Sports writers aren't "real" journalists. They are content producers designed to generate clicks/sell papers covering an entertainment business. They aren't trying to find the Russia connection to Trump, they aren't reporting on Syria using chemical weapons....they're covering millionaire athletes complaining about millionaire coaches who are all owned by Billionaires. The truth of this makes me chuckle whenever writers at TBN get on their high horse about things. Most sports writers are glorified gossip columnists.

This rings right to me, well put.

That said, there are some really good ones out there, who write well, manage relationships well, do the hard work of running stories through multiple sources, and finding compelling stories in unheralded places. Jim Kelley was one for sure. John Vogl does pretty well. The triumvirate of Harrington, Gleason, and Sulllivan, though, are just the whiner line in print.

And all of the radio guys are incompetent as writers.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

That's generally how access pieces work, sports or otherwise. Why would that make us love him?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Update: today Hamilton walked his assertion back to Eichel was just mouthing off to teammates in the locker room when he made those comments about not re-signing, and that he never even delivered them to a member of management. Total, unadulterated shmuck.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Update: today Hamilton walked his assertion back to Eichel was just mouthing off to teammates in the locker room when he made those comments about not re-signing, and that he never even delivered them to a member of management. Total, unadulterated shmuck.
Well, shmuckiness aside, it's still concerning that Eichel is "going there" in terms of re-signing at this stage of the game. Whether he's said anything to management yet or not.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Well, shmuckiness aside, it's still concerning that Eichel is "going there" in terms of re-signing at this stage of the game. Whether he's said anything to management yet or not.

At the rate Hamilton is walking his report back Eichel will have merely thought it by July.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

We don't even know the context now. For all we know he could've been joking with the guys in the locker room.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005

I don't think it's concerning at all. He's having a conversation in the locker room ... I swear people freak out over EVERYTHING.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

Why did something a player may have said to his teammates even make it into the news? To me, that stuff stays out of print.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I don't think it's concerning at all. He's having a conversation in the locker room ... I swear people freak out over EVERYTHING.
Didn't realize what I said constituted "freaking out"?

That being said, the last thing I'd want to hear from our franchise player in any context is concern over whether or not he's willing to re-sign. Not sure why anyone would be happy about that being on the kids mind, even as a joke.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Didn't realize what I said constituted "freaking out"?

That being said, the last thing I'd want to hear from our franchise player in any context is concern over whether or not he's willing to re-sign. Not sure why anyone would be happy about that being on the kids mind, even as a joke.

It's a conversation in the locker room ... and who knows what that clown Hamilton actually really heard.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I joked about running over a squirrel Saturday. I hope my neighbors aren't too concerned about it.
I don't care about squirrels. I do care about Jack re-signing.

Why is this so hard to understand? I understand it's Hamilton and you have to take it with a grain of salt but even jokingly, Jack already thinking about not being in Buffalo long term sucks ass. That's all I'm saying.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

Why is this so hard to understand? I understand it's Hamilton and you have to take it with a grain of salt but even jokingly, Jack already thinking about not being in Buffalo long term sucks ass.

The thing is, you don't know that. In fact, I would doubt that it's true.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005

Why is this so hard to understand? I understand it's Hamilton and you have to take it with a grain of salt but even jokingly, Jack already thinking about not being in Buffalo long term sucks ass. That's all I'm saying.

You can hang on Hamilton's word all you want. I'll stick with Jack's word.

I want to be here for a long time. That’s the way I look at it. I don’t want to go anywhere else. I don’t want anybody to think that I want to be somewhere else. I want to be here, and I want to help this team win in any way that I can do that. I just want all the people there to know that

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Emoticons are commentaries too. As in people are freaking out over Eichel's supposed comment that maybe or maybe did or didn't happen and didn't if you listen to Jack, his agent, and our owner.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
But Jack already said it's not true.
Okay...

"In lieu of Hamiltons back-pedaling, I would like to say that if it were true that it would indeed suck ass... but since Jack said to the media that he didn't want to leave Buffalo, it most likely isn't true."

Does that make you feel better?

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Okay...

"In lieu of Hamiltons back-pedaling, I would like to say that if it were true that it would indeed suck ass... but since Jack said to the media that he didn't want to leave Buffalo, it most likely isn't true."

Does that make you feel better?

freaking out over nothing ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->