GDT: Sabres @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I thought Blandisi was better than Zacha. Hall was obviously better than both. Results will taint people's opinions however. Blandisi made as many good plays in the defensive zone as he did in the offensive zone. He will have Wood's spot in the lineup within two weeks.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Zacha has more time and space than he thinks he does. I don't want to tell this guy anything that would mess with his confidence, but I feel like whenever he's close to the puck he just throws it on net. He would be better served taking a second to aim and get clean wood on it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blandisi has been good.

He needs to get the hell away from Kalinin, as does Parenteau.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Blandisi is actually staying on his skates. He seems to have worked very hard on that and it shows.

His fight tonight was almost as funny as when I saw him live against Lehigh Valley and he fought Morin. I don't think he could reach Morins face even if Morin bent down and Blandisi jumped.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
My main takeaway from this game is that Buffalo is a terrible organization.

They've played two less games than us and if they win both then we are both tied in points, and equal in total wins. We have the head to head advantage tie breaker. We're both not good organizations at the moment, but I like where we stand compared to them going forward. All they have is better prospect pool, which only has meaning if your organization knows how to develop them properly. We have better goaltending, even with Cory having such a so so year. Which I consider, just a bad season, not something I predicting his future seasons.

I like our deeper young defense going forward with Santini, Severson and Merrill, even if they have a higher end talent in Ristolainen, they ain't have much else. Also, we have an incredible amount of cap space with an owner who wants to win. Not sure that th Sabre fans can say the same thing. They have better 1st line player just by the fact they have two in Eichel and O'Reilly with Okposo more of a high end 2nd liner and Reinhart maxing out in the same capacity as Okposo. Compared to us who have just one 1at liner in Hall. Also, you can't forget our solid 2nd and 3rd liner and I honestly think we're deeper with younger forwards already in the league, when you look at lines 1-4.

All in all, I honestly expect us to become a playoff team before they ever do. Especially, if we improve this off season through free agency, which there's no excuse for us not too. Just have to get that 1st line center that's the position we need to fill the most.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blandisi is getting sent down tonight. Not clear whether they'll bring him back after the bye.

I'd bet Blandisi, Helgeson and Stollery are all getting sent down tonight for the bye.

Not sure about Wood, I think he'll probably not get sent down.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It is their job and the team is 3 points out with even games played.

That's the horse poop lie that they're feeding you. It completely discounts other non playoff teams ahead of them on points and/or fewer games played. The odds of this team making the playoffs are very, very, very, very, slim.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Let's see what the standings look like after the bye week when the other teams catch up. If they are 5-7 at the most out... they have a shot.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
So glad I went to this one.

I swear, whenever Zacha gets a point, no matter how it happens, he turns it up to 11 the next shift. He looked like Malkin at times today. If he can play like that all the time, he's going to be unstoppable.

I though Lehner deserved the 3rd star tonight. No way this should have been a 1 goal game.

Blandisi looked great all night, too. He absolutely rocks people with those hits. Towards the end they tried

Blandisi-Zacha-PAP

I really want to see that stick as our 3rd line.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's the horse poop lie that they're feeding you. It completely discounts other non playoff teams ahead of them on points and/or fewer games played. The odds of this team making the playoffs are very, very, very, very, slim.

Unlikely but this isn't them trying to make a team nine points out sound like they're in it the way MSG has done in the past. They HAVE to give the standings when the team's three points out. And it's not entirely a phony three points out either. The current WC standings:

*Flyers 54 GP, 59 points
Bruins 55 GP, 58 points
Islanders 51 GP, 56 points
Panthers 52 GP, 56 points
Devils 54 GP, 56 points

They're even in GP with the Flyers, one BEHIND GP of the Bruins. The Panthers are two GP ahead of them so if you give them three points in those two games they're three points ahead of us and we're still...three out. The Isles have three games in hand, maybe you could give them four points if you were playing the percentages and put them four points ahead but they still have to ultimately earn those points.

So sure it's multiple teams to pass 3-4 points out but it's still right there with the home-heavy schedule looming if this team gets its act together at the Rock. Problem is that's really the only avenue into the playoffs since the automatic spots/first WC are long gone. The second WC has to stay within range. And I can't stress this enough...the goaltender just has to start playing better. Or this team's not going on a playoff run whether the last spot stays in range or not.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Now, I am going to be out of town this weekend without my laptop so unfortunately someone will need to cover for me on the GDT. :laugh: Everyone's Spidey senses are tingling currently, so I think we're covered.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I wake up every day in horrible student debt because when I was 17 some baby boomer guidance counselor told me I'd be making enough that it wouldn't matter, then something called a Bubble caused by old rich people who wanted to get richer popped and the hopes of ever owning a home are slowly slipping from me, and I lucked my way into a decent career but I am still two years (at least) from bringing home serious dough and I'm almost 30.

I get up every morning and jam my sleepy ass in between the armpits of like fifteen people and hold on for dear life. I toil for hours while two coworkers I'm easily smarter and better than get promoted.

The real world ****ing sucks.

My hockey team is not far out of the playoffs, and that brings me joy. I'm happy that our announcers are talking about it, because in a world that is getting more and more joyless by the day, people are taking pride in cynicism and that disgusts me.

I hope Steve and Deb mention how close we are to the playoffs every day. I hope it rings in your heads like a giant bell.

Because its true.

We're still in the hunt, and miss me with your ****ing garbage half-fandom, please. **** or get off the pot.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Just saw that dish from Zacha to Blandisi on the highlights, that was awesome. Too bad Blandisi didn't convert

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I thought Blandisi was better than Zacha. Hall was obviously better than both. Results will taint people's opinions however. Blandisi made as many good plays in the defensive zone as he did in the offensive zone. He will have Wood's spot in the lineup within two weeks.

I wouldn't go that far, but Blandisi had a very effective game with his fight and chances to score, which, he just missed burying. I really think he's not adjusted to NHL speed yet, and is still stuck on AHL speed, it's only fractions of a second, but that's an eternity in hockey. Also, needs to remember he has to get that puck high, with every shot in the NHL. Also, no more diving or he's going to have the worst reputation in the league and we all know he has somewhat of a reputation.

I don't see Blandisi taking Wood's lineup spot though. His spot on the 2nd line I could see it he's not pushing him out of the lineup, and if we're rolling all four lines, he can be effective on the 4th line, with his style, and they do like Wood on the PP. I also wouldn't be shocked if Josefson may be injured, if that's the case; on the 3rd line, they should move Zacha to center, put Wood on LW and Noeson on RW. I know Josefson came back but, that doesn't mean much, especially considering his past injury problems. More than anything I want Zacha developed as a center.

I'm one of Wood's biggest fans as certain posters on here already know lol, but I always said if he has to be sent to the AHL, then I'll admit it. However, his play at the moment isn't less than NHL quality. Wood has 2 points in his last 3 games, he's still forechecking defensman hard, he's still hitting and willing to fight anyone, although I don't believe players are that eager to fight him. We should be trading Parenteau for a pick in '17 at this point, and playing Kalinin over Wood would be straight up criminal. Kalinin does nothing except not **** up. Plus, as I've said 1000 times, I believe Wood's deficiencies, are minor and can be fixed at th NHL level, because he'll be surrounded by better coaching and NHL players who can show him the little thing . The kid is a warrior and as tough as they come. My issue with the AHL is that he's an "idiosyncratic player", who will never be perfect, always have his issues, but most importantly will always be a positive and extremely effective NHL player. If we try to turn him into robotic, perfect, two way player we could end up ruining him and I firmly believe that. This is a kid that needs to run on instinct and I've never used this excuse, description or reasoning when it comes to a young developing prospect as to why the AHL isn't ideal for him. I know many don't agree, but I don't care lol.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I'd bet Blandisi, Helgeson and Stollery are all getting sent down tonight for the bye.

Not sure about Wood, I think he'll probably not get sent down.

This is probably only because we aren't playing for 6 days. They can play one or two AHL games until then. Blandisi will be back and probably Stollery as the 7th defensman, since Merrill and Quincey should be ready by Sunday. Keep Helgeson down lol!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I don't think we're playoff bound either this year but there's definitely a chance. I know we have a lot of teams to pass but we still control our own destiny. We play the Isles 4 more times, the Hurricanes once more, the Flyers three more times, the Bruins once more, etc... those are all teams we need to pass and those will be crucial games. It'll be a steep mountain to climb but they're still able to pull themselves out of it themselves without relying on help from the out of town scoreboard.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I'm not thinking about the playoffs. I just want them to go on a run and have fun with it. Let the cards fall where they may.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I mean what do you expect the network crew to say? We are only 3 points out and they are promoting a product that they are trying to sell. Whether or not the playoffs are realistic doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad