News Article: Sabres Change Plans - Jeanneret To Return For 2016-2017 Season

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
While I am definitely ready for the post-RJ era to finally come. 2006 is not true. Maybe his best calls came in 06 and 07.

He's been finished for the past 3 seasons or so, that is non-debatable.

It's "non-debatable"? Because I completely disagree. Did I just blow your mind?

RJ's still the best.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The call of the Eichel game winner in OT last year and the video were unquestionably the highlight of last season. RJ is a irreplaceable treasure and the day he hangs it up will be one of the saddest days in Sabres (and NHL) history.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I like RJ and think he should be able to do it as long as he wants. But I feel bad for anyone that listens to him on the radio. Can't tell what is happening

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
I have to usually watch the other teams feed now because of how bad it is with RJ and Ray. 10 years ago it was not like this at all. I use to love RJ. Nostalgia can cloud people's minds very easily.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I specifically took a mental note of the games he called and the amount of negative comments he received on this forum after each game.

It was very very little. Most games in fact, not one poster said anything negative regarding RJ. It usually happened when one or two posters who are always anti-RJ, slam him, and a few hop aboard the train to pile on.

Even with RJ's "decline", he still does a good enough job and make the game enjoyable for me :dunno:

He is STILL better than over half the PxP guys from other teams. Just my O.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I specifically took a mental note of the games he called and the amount of negative comments he received on this forum after each game.

It was very very little. Most games in fact, not one poster said anything negative regarding RJ. It usually happened when one or two posters who are always anti-RJ, slam him, and a few hop aboard the train to pile on.

Even with RJ's "decline", he still does a good enough job and make the game enjoyable for me :dunno:

He is STILL better than over half the PxP guys from other teams. Just my O.

He's got the tonsils still but he makes a lot more mistakes than the average play-by-play person. Listen, he's been doing this a long time and he's getting up there in age. But he's earned the right to keep going. And most fans like him, even as he ages. Nostalgia is worth something, it's comforting.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
He might be getting up there, but there will never be another broadcaster in the league that can match his inflection skills. When Eichel and Rhino are blazing in on a 2-on-1, I feel like I'm coming out of my seat even when I'm not at the game.

That's something that one learns and can't be taught.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
RJ should call Sabres games as long as he wants. He has earned that right. That said, he has definitely lost some of the showmanship and flair. I'd hate to see him injure his legacy by sticking around a little too long.

As for RJ calling a stanley cup final, let's see the team get there first. Second, NBC carries all cup games anyways (i know there is the radio), so it's not like he'd get that cross platform saturation Sabres fans are used to. I'd be okay with him retiring and coming back and calling playoff games well rested and blah blah blah.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

If the Sabres make it, Jeanneret will be in the broadcast booth. Once scheduled to retire last spring, he has no plans to disappear from the rink.
It helps that he can create his own schedule. He and the Sabres settled on 42 of the 82 games this season, including 10 on the road.

Jeanneret has been working a reduced schedule since 2011, generally keeping his road trips short or to warm-weather climates.
He decided to open with the six-day swing through western Canada this year.
“I chose that one because there was no back-to-back games and also because it was in October and not January or February,” he said.
“We didn’t have 7 feet of snow to deal with in Edmonton. It was good. It really was.”

Jeanneret will also visit Winnipeg and Minnesota next week. He’ll take one trip to Toronto and call a New Year’s Eve game in Boston.
His last road trip of the season is through Montreal, Nashville and Dallas.
He’ll fly from Dallas to Florida on January 27 for an extended vacation that won’t see him return to Buffalo until March 1.

Rest of The Article - http://buffalonews.com/2016/10/22/healthy-sabres-jeanneret-back-42-games/

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think RJ has been terrific this season. It's not his fault there isn't as much exciting hockey to call.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Inquiring minds want to know: How often will loquacious Marty Biron work with fellow analyst Rob Ray and play-by-play men Rick Jeanneret and Dan Dunleavy during games in the 2017-2018 National Hockey League season now that he has joined the Buffalo Sabres broadcast team? And what is Dunleavy's status?

Mark Preisler, the executive vice president of media and content for Pegula Sports and Entertainment (PSE) said Biron and Ray may do about five of the 82 regular season games together as analysts inside the benches. But Ray will be alone for the bulk of games alongside Jeanneret or Dunleavy.

Biron primarily is taking Brad May's place as pregame, intermission and post-game analyst alongside Brian Duff. May's contract expired and wasn't renewed. May was the weakest member of the broadcast team, with the impressive Duff often saving him when he lost his train of thought.

Jeanneret is once again expected to work about half the games. Dunleavy will work the other half of the games.

Dunleavy, who is the final year of his five-year contract, received a vote of confidence from Preisler.

"I don't see Dan going anywhere other than here," said Preisler.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
May struggled often, and I found myself cringing at Duff's save attempts when May made the same face Rob Ray made when stuck between the Lindy Murray coach fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad