News Article: Sabres Change Plans - Jeanneret To Return For 2016-2017 Season

SabreOil

Jul 23, 2013
RJ is Sabres hockey, to me. I will never willingly call for his retirement. Even in his 70's he still does a better job than most. The problem really is a lack of a true color man. Pair RJ with Duff and Ray in between the boards and it would work fine. I'm still not solid on Dunleavy to be the full-time replacement. He's quite boring to me as a broadcaster.

This. I am surprised by the amount of people that want him gone. When RJ leaves i will be very sad. Call em all RJ :yo:

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Glad to see RJ back this year and the foreseeable future.

That said, I'd like to some changes to the broadcast

1. Like many have said - I'd like to see a full time color guy. I miss Lorentz and Robitaille.
2. I like Rob Ray between the benches - I think he is well suited for that role - but not the color man role
3. I really would like to see the Sabres commit to a radio only broadcast. The TV simulcast just does not cut it - and I usually listen to radio while I'm doing stuff vs just watching TV. RJ's call is almost 100% TV oriented.
4. I'm a big fan of Duff but not so much with May. I'd love to see Biron on the broadcast somewhere.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The internet is weird. You hear comments you never hear from anyone you know in person.

Everyone loves RJ. :nod:

Nobody in this thread has said anything about not loving RJ. I just don't think he's a good play by play man anymore.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Good for RJ.

He still has it...even with his goof ups.

Better than Dunleavy or anyone else we could put in that chair.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Some New Wrinkles In Coverage Of New Look Sabres And A Ratings Prediction - Alan Pergament - Buffalo News - Thursday, October 8.

Rick Jeanneret is expected to call 40-50 of the 77 regular season games carried by Madison Square Garden Network this season, according to Mark Preisler, the executive vice president for media and content for Pegula Sports and Entertainment (PSE).

Dan Dunleavy will call the remainder of the MSG games. The other five games are on national outlets.
Andrew Peters, who offers analysis on the Sabres morning radio show carried on WGR, is expected to be an analyst on a couple of radio games.
Brian Duff, the TV pre-game, intermission and post-game host, is expected to do play-by-play on about five radio games.

After a year absence, the Sabres are bringing back “Beyond Blue & Gold,” the feature series that gives fans a behind-the-scenes look at players and other members of the organization. It is carried on TV, social networks and on Sabres.com. Preisler said the features on TV are shorter than they are on the web, which goes more into depth.

LaxSabre - Rest of the article has Alans prediction on ratings for the season and a comment on the Pegula Showtime story.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/201...coverage-of-new-look-sabres-and-a-prediction/

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
[...]
Dan Dunleavy will call the remainder of the MSG games. The other five games are on national outlets.
[...]

It's quite amusing that we only have 5 national games. We were among the most frequent teams on NBCSN the previous two terrible seasons. Now that we have some star power, only 5? :laugh:

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
For those of you who want someone other than Dunleavy to replace RJ when he retires, I encourage you to listen to Rockford IceHogs games. Bob Mills is their new PxP guy this year. He was with the Solar Bears the last three seasons, so I got to listen to him a lot. He has a great broadcasting voice, lots of energy, and is very knowledgeable of the game.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
RJ has sounded horrible this year. Am Im a huge RJ supporter but his time is up. The Yikel call is awful and he's sounds so squeaky when he gets excited. Personally I hated the call on Eichel's first goal. Its time for Dunleavy

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I don't get Yeichel at all, can somebody explain it to me? Like if he's trying to make one last signature player-specific call...I'm not sure this one works.

Deleted member 27798

I also don't get the Yikel or whatever the hell it is RJ is trying to do when Eichel scores.

It has already been announced otherwise, but if the Sabres had "forced" RJ into retirement after this season, I would not have had any problem with it.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I don't get Yeichel at all, can somebody explain it to me? Like if he's trying to make one last signature player-specific call...I'm not sure this one works.

It's supposed to be Yikes! + Eichel. It makes some sense, it's just stupid.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
RJ has sounded horrible this year. Am Im a huge RJ supporter but his time is up. The Yikel call is awful and he's sounds so squeaky when he gets excited. Personally I hated the call on Eichel's first goal. Its time for Dunleavy
Yikes!
I thought his Yeichel call was him excitedly trying to squeak out "Eichel!"

I'm thinking that the other team's play by play guy can call the names of the Sabres better than RJ can.

I liked TSN's call on the goal better:
"Now Foligno plays it back across, a chance for Eichel...Scores!... Jack Eichel's first National Hockey League goal! That's what they came for!"

He was able to call a couple names in there (despite Ray Ferraro? almost commentating through the goal).

RJ's call: "Got it out front, here's a chance, took a shot, he scores!!!! Yeichel.... Jack Eichel!"

Last edited:

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Yikes!
I thought his Yeichel call was him excitedly trying to squeak out "Eichel!"

I'm thinking that the other team's play by play guy can call the names of the Sabres better than RJ can.

I liked TSN's call on the goal better:
"Now Foligno plays it back across, a chance for Eichel...Scores!... Jack Eichel's first National Hockey League goal! That's what they came for!"

He was able to call a couple names in there (despite Ray Ferraro? almost commentating through the goal).

RJ's call: "Got it out front, here's a chance, took a shot, he scores!!!! Yeichel.... Jack Eichel!"

Yeah Gord Millers call from TSN was awesome. Thats the call I want to remember this goal and not RJ's

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Inquiring minds want to know: Where is Rick Jeanneret, the voice of the Buffalo Sabres?
Sabre fans shouldn’t worry. According to a source close to Jeanneret, his health is fine.

Jeanneret, who didn’t work either of the Sabres games this week carried by MSG after the NHL All-Star game break, is on a scheduled Florida vacation.
He won’t be back calling a game until March 1 when the Sabres host Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/201...er-17-years-jeanneret-on-month-long-vacation/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad