Speculation: Sabres captain after Gionta

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Here is an interesting question...

If it was McDavid we were talking about who would be captain?

Still Girgensons? My vote goes to Eichel. I want the franchise on his back in 3 years.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
Eichel is the captain because Girgs doesn't need to be. If Eichel is as good as Tavares, Kane, Toews ect then he is the captain.

Yup, Eichel without a doubt.

Obviously I like Zemgus, but having him captain with Eichel and Reinhart on the roster is like how Dustin Brown is captain for the LA Kings stocked with Doughty and Kopitar. I hope we don't make the same mistake.

Eichel - C
Reinhart - A
Girgensons - A

I could see Bogosian or Moulson being the next stop gap after Gionta, but Eichel will be the captain of this team one day.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Yup, Eichel without a doubt.

Obviously I like Zemgus, but having him captain with Eichel and Reinhart on the roster is like how Dustin Brown is captain for the LA Kings stocked with Doughty and Kopitar. I hope we don't make the same mistake.

Eichel - C
Reinhart - A
Girgensons - A

I could see Bogosian or Moulson being the next stop gap after Gionta, but Eichel will be the captain of this team one day.

What.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
As of today Girgensons seems like a logical choice for a future C or A but with many of our players at such a young age who knows which ones will mature into the leaders of this team in a few seasons. I'm glad we have someone like Gionta that can be a positive role model to the younger players and in a couple of years one or two of them will have emerged as leaders deserving of a C or A.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
One of these things is not like the other. Dustin Brown is probably the only non-elite player to captain a cup winning team.

14 Dustin Brown
13 Jonathan Toews
12 Dustin Brown
11 Zdeno Chara
10 Jonathan Toews
09 Sidney Crosby
08 Nicklas Lidstrom
07 Scott Niedermayer
06 Rod Brind'amour
04 Dave Andreychuk
03 Scott Stevens
02 Steve Yzerman
01 Joe Sakic
00 Scott Stevens
99 Derian Hatcher
98 Steve Yzerman
97 Steve Yzerman
96 Joe Sakic
95 Scott Stevens
94 Mark Messier
93 Guy Carbonneau
92 Mario Lemieux
91 Mario Lemieux
90 Mark Messier
89 Lanny MacDonald
88 Wayne Gretzky
87 Wayne Gretzky
86 Bob Gainey
85 Wayne Gretzky
84 Wayne Gretzky
83 Denis Potvin
82 Denis Potvin
81 Denis Potvin
80 Denis Potvin
79 Yvan Cournoyer
78 Yvan Cournoyer
77 Yvan Cournoyer
76 Yvan Cournoyer
75 Bobby Clarke
74 Bobby Clarke

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
One of these things is not like the other. Dustin Brown is probably the only non-elite player to captain a cup winning team.

14 Dustin Brown
13 Jonathan Toews
12 Dustin Brown
11 Zdeno Chara
10 Jonathan Toews
09 Sidney Crosby
08 Nicklas Lidstrom
07 Scott Niedermayer
06 Rod Brind'amour
04 Dave Andreychuk
03 Scott Stevens
02 Steve Yzerman
01 Joe Sakic
00 Scott Stevens
99 Derian Hatcher
98 Steve Yzerman
97 Steve Yzerman
96 Joe Sakic
95 Scott Stevens
94 Mark Messier
93 Guy Carbonneau
92 Mario Lemieux
91 Mario Lemieux
90 Mark Messier
89 Lanny MacDonald
88 Wayne Gretzky
87 Wayne Gretzky
86 Bob Gainey
85 Wayne Gretzky
84 Wayne Gretzky
83 Denis Potvin
82 Denis Potvin
81 Denis Potvin
80 Denis Potvin
79 Yvan Cournoyer
78 Yvan Cournoyer
77 Yvan Cournoyer
76 Yvan Cournoyer
75 Bobby Clarke
74 Bobby Clarke

You're out to lunch if you think those teams won cups because of a letter.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Enough. Seriously.

I get the whole thingy about looking at the future and wishful thinking and all awesome gooey stuff, yadda yadda. But. Really. Enough.

How 'bout letting these kids get a year or two of NHL ice under their feet before pushing ahead so far into the future that you pile expectations onto shoulders that don't yet have a man's frame, much less are strong enough to carry your hopes?

Give them a break already. Geez.

This is so fricken typical of the common needy fan - needs a "hero" so much they can't let a kid just develop organically/naturally, just gotta be wanting more and more... And then OMG, what the crap if the kid doesn't magically evolve into the image that's been created! Sell him for pucks!

Girgensens had a good rookie year under very specific conditions that (hopefully) will never repeat; we have zero idea how he'll show up and what he'll develop into under a very different dynamic. Reinhart had 9 games under those same conditions; we don't even know if he'll show up as NHL-ready for 2015/2016, or if he'll be having his real rookie campaign in Gionta's retirement year of 2016/2017. Eitchel hasn't even yet stepped onto NHL ice.

But people are projecting these KIDS as the future "leaders" of the team already? wow.

This is what happens to a kid - drafted in the first round, fans and media go fruity with expectations, and if the kid doesn't meet those expectations, then presto, the kid under performed. Crazy.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
But people are projecting these KIDS as the future "leaders" of the team already? wow.

This is what happens to a kid - drafted in the first round, fans and media go fruity with expectations, and if the kid doesn't meet those expectations, then presto, the kid under performed. Crazy.

Of course they are. Scouts projected these guys to be captains or be "captain material" before they were even drafted.

If we draft these guys this high in a draft and they don't become a big part of the team's core/leadership then the Sabres seriously screwed up.

Also, fans and media expectations are to be expected if you're a high draft pick, especially if you're at a level that Jack Eichel is. That's just professional sports. It could honestly be worse though. Imagine being Connor McDavid and under performing in Toronto :help::help: Buffalo Sports will never reach that type of scrutiny, so there isnt as much to worry about.

Last edited:

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Also, I don't get why people are laughing/questioning the idea of Eichel getting a letter just because he hasn't played yet? This is speculation on the future of the franchise, and we all know how good this kid is supposed to be. This guy is projected to be on a Tavares, Stamkos, franchise center level. If he hits that projection (which most people think he will), then he's getting a letter and that's pretty much the end of it.

Last edited:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I voted Girgensons because he has all the work ethics I want in a captain, plus I want our future captain to be someone who was there working through the rough times. Risto could be an option for the same reasons, but I just thought Girgensons had captain written all over him since day one.

Blue collar guy on a blue collar team in a blue collar city. Perfect face for the franchise.

However, I don't really think it matters much who wears a letter and who doesn't. Someone here said that Girgensons doesn't need a letter to be a leader, and that's a good point, but the same goes for Reinhart and Eichel. Anyone who needs a letter to try his hardest and be a leader when called upon I don't want anyway.

Cap'n

Jun 8, 2007
Anderson, SC

14 Dustin Brown
13 Jonathan Toews
12 Dustin Brown
11 Zdeno Chara
10 Jonathan Toews
09 Sidney Crosby
08 Nicklas Lidstrom
07 Scott Niedermayer
06 Rod Brind'amour
04 Dave Andreychuk
03 Scott Stevens
02 Steve Yzerman
01 Joe Sakic
00 Scott Stevens
99 Derian Hatcher
98 Steve Yzerman
97 Steve Yzerman
96 Joe Sakic
95 Scott Stevens
94 Mark Messier
93 Guy Carbonneau
92 Mario Lemieux
91 Mario Lemieux
90 Mark Messier
89 Lanny MacDonald
88 Wayne Gretzky
87 Wayne Gretzky
86 Bob Gainey
85 Wayne Gretzky
84 Wayne Gretzky
83 Denis Potvin
82 Denis Potvin
81 Denis Potvin
80 Denis Potvin
79 Yvan Cournoyer
78 Yvan Cournoyer
77 Yvan Cournoyer
76 Yvan Cournoyer
75 Bobby Clarke
74 Bobby Clarke

But Girgs is an All-Star!

C - Reinhart
A - Girgensons
A - Bigosion/Ristolainen

I went with Samson (thinking several years down the line) believing that he can be our Toews taking pressure off of Eichel.

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
How about "too early to tell" Eichel isn't even on the damn team yet and you're adding him to the list of potential captains??? How about we give these kids a few years to develop before you give them the C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad