Speculation: Sabres captain after Gionta

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Since we're all looking forward to the future, I figured this would be a fun exercise to help kill time till the draft. Here are the candidates:

Jack Eichel - Might be an obvious choice to some. Will have the marketability of being the "face of the franchise." Game changer, stepped up in big moments to help lead BU to the National Championship. Captained Team USA at the 2015 World Juniors.

Sam Reinhart - Known for very strong leadership intangibles. Captained his junior team in Kootenay. Probably would have captained Team Canada at the 2015 World Juniors if not for Lazar being sent there by Ottawa, instead he wore an 'A'. Captained Team Cherry at the 2014 Top Prospects game.

Zemgus Girgensons - Another known leader. Brings skill and tenacity every shift. Scores, hits, can drop the gloves. Probably the hardest working player in the organization. Wore an 'A' at the end of his rookie year in Buffalo. Captained his team in Dubuque.

Jake McCabe - Track record of being a leader. Wore an 'A' at Wisconsin. Captained the 2013 U.S. World Juniors team to gold.

Dark Horses:

JT Compher - Another strong candidate. Has captained the USA in multiple international tournaments. Wore an 'A' for Michigan.

Johan Larsson - Captained Team Sweden to World Juniors gold in 2012.

My personal choices are probably our top 3 centers.

Reinhart (C)
Eichel (A)
Girgensons (A)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If they're smart...they'll go Girgensons.

I also think Bogosian should have a letter.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Jack Eichel, Rasmus Ristolainen or Sam Reinhart. If this team every goes anywhere it will be because of them.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The next 2 years will provide more valuable input into the conversation

Right now, I think Girgensons would be the obvious choice.

An Oreilly acquisition and long term extension changes that.

Eichel and Sam are young potential super stars, but we haven't seen anything at the pro level so they fall outside the dicsussion at this point

Ristolianen is a special player... And I wouldn't be surprised to see him emerge as a captain some day.

ZeroPT*

Well we have options that's for sure.

No matter how good of a leader some players throughout history were, the big superstar often got the C. Messier with Gretzky in Edmonton and with team Canada, and at the Olympics you have arguably the best leader in hockey as assistant to sid.

I could see Samson as a captain, he has worn a letter in basically every place he's gone.

Zemgus is my obvious choice because he's Zemgus. Baby Kopitar.

So if I had to rank my options it'd be:
Zemgus
Eichel
Samson
Risto

Side Stache

Dec 3, 2011
There is only one answer. The guy who went through hell and fire in his two years as pro. Heart and soul of this team in long term.
Also note about Girgensons. Z was voted as his USHL team captain by other players, who were 1-2 years older than him.

Last edited:

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I hate the precedent of having your biggest star wear the C. Give it to the player that best exemplifies what you want to build. This is why Zemgus is such an obivous choice at this point.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
It's Jack or Big Z. I'm not sure which one yet. We'll see how Eichel does over the next couple of seasons. Girgensosns has somewhat proven himself so far. Luckily we don't have to make that decision for a few more years.

ZeroPT*

It's gotta be Girgs. He is the one who was here for the full tank era, he has improved and developed so insanely fast and well, it has to be him. Heart and soul guy. The only question about this for me is if they go with Eichel because he's the star.

Girgensons is the guy who launches himself in front of a Chara/Subban/Weber slapshot with a minute left in the 3rd. That's what I want out of my captain. In the future, it wouldn't even slightly surprise me if he literally puts the team on his back and carries them for a run. He just seems like the kind of guy who can do that. I can't wait to see this group in the playoffs.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
A lot depends on how long they keep Gionta around. If he's done after his next contract, I have to imagine it's Girgensons. If Gionta manages another 5 years, maybe Eichel or Reinhart.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Ask me next year. Let things shake themselves out next year. Gio will carry the C until then amd we can cross the bridge when we get to it.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Girgensons feels like the Callahan to Eichel's McDonagh (as in he'll wear the C post-Gionta until he moves on in FA/trade, then Eichel takes over).

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Captaincy goes to Girgs.
Give a letter to one or two of Reinhart/Risto/Eichel.
I could definitely see Bogo getting the A, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad