Post-Game Talk: Sabres @ Caps - 7PM (visiting fans, read our local rules)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Tomorrow night, the Caps may be looking at:
No Backstrom
No Beagle
No Latta

3 of top 4 C's hurt.

And guess what? 4.5, our stalwart guy, will at least still be able to play 4LW for us.

Lol.... Maybe Carrick can play C?

You're exaggerating. Per tweets quoted earlier in the thread, both Latta and Nicky are expected to play tomorrow. Being without 74 and 83 long-term in addition to Orpik is serious enough, but let's not get carried away.

My position hasn't changed. Test the depth, explore your options and wait until a little later to add depth as needed. A 3C acquisition would be nice right about now, but there's no reason to start panicking. Blowhard indeed...lol.

This.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Time to get an extended look at Stephenson and Carrick, i'd say. Wouldn't mind Barber up for 4RW with Bura taking a C spot either.

Good call.

Someone on the last trade thread said they would rather have Stephenson and 3.7m cap space versus some 4.5m guy on the team who's name I can't recall...

Maybe now we can have both?....(well both that is...minus the 3.7m in cap space, but who can complain about trivial points)

Lol. Ah, the irony of it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
You're exaggerating. Per tweets quoted earlier in the thread, both Latta and Nicky are expected to play tomorrow. Being without 74 and 83 long-term in addition to Orpik is serious enough, but let's not get carried away.

This.

I said "may" be missing. Caps were supposed to have 74 on Monday, yes? lol and behold, he's out a while.

it's the NHL. Injuries happen. It's ok, the team will weather it. Just funny how things turn out. Seems most on here expected health all year (not you), and weren't thinking the wasted cap space would hurt the team.

I will take some crap from people, but mostly the blowhards that are now upset (at the messenger) because I was right. It is what it is.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What's all this hurting the team exaggeration about? They haven't even played one game with a more depleted lineup and you're gloating like they just extended an 0-10 run....let's slow your roll a little and see what happens. Immediately calling out idiots and blowhards doesn't help your argument.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
What's all this hurting the team exaggeration about? They haven't even played one game with a more depleted lineup and you're gloating like they just extended an 0-10 run....let's slow your roll a little and see what happens. Immediately calling out idiots and blowhards doesn't help your argument.

The idiot comment was about me, and I am a king blowhard. So save that stuff. Alright?

The greater "point", was that this team couldn't weather injuries in the PLAYOFFS as stood, due to wasted cap space. That is still a problem, and is now front and center. If this is what happens in the playoffs, which is very very plausible, then "see what happens" probably means playing golf for our favorite team.

I am very happy this all happened now, and not then. It will allow the management group to take corrective actions sooner, rather than maybe never.

It's about winning the cup. Nothing more or less. As we all say "we see what we want to see". Some just see more clearly than others.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The idiot comment was about me, and I am a king blowhard. So save that stuff. Alright?

The greater "point", was that this team couldn't weather injuries in the PLAYOFFS as stood, due to wasted cap space. That is still a problem, and is now front and center. If this is what happens in the playoffs, which is very very plausible, then "see what happens" probably means playing golf for our favorite team.

I am very happy this all happened now, and not then. It will allow the management group to take corrective actions sooner, rather than maybe never.

It's about winning the cup. Nothing more or less. As we all say "we see what we want to see". Some just see more clearly than others.

How many teams are gonna win without their top pairing on defense, their #1 center (he may miss a few games) and their best pk and faceoff guy? Your making it sound like that happens all the time

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
How many teams are gonna win without their top pairing on defense, their #1 center (he may miss a few games) and their best pk and faceoff guy? Your making it sound like that happens all the time

Injuries do happen all the time, that's been my point for weeks now. Who, what, where isn't relevant. I'm not going to rehash this for every poster that needs me too. Search my posts, it will become pretty obvious where I've stood on this stuff

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
We did :dunno:
Do we intend to be one of many teams, or are we charging for a Cup run? Our 1st line may be better with Kuznetsov, our W and D depth is good enough for the regular season, and our centers were the problem everybody was screaming about for the entire season. Nah, we like chemistry, we don't need anybody, we don't care that our 3rd line has 2 good 4th liners and our 4th line is useless.
And yes, injuries do happen all the time.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Injuries are going to happen and I rather have them now than in March or April. Still sucks to have injuries though.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
You know it's a good year when the negative nannies start clamor ing, "I told you so!" After a 5-2 win where we lose a few players to injury. Get over it and be happy. The Caps are the best constructed team in the league, and we have pieces we can slide into the spot of Beagke relatively easily.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ok, everyone settle down. Enough flaming each other.

We'll get through this, I promise. :)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
good lord. anyway....read vogel's stuff from last night. "backstrom may play". I read may as probably won't or as may not.
I would not lock on that he is playing.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
When I suggested Stephenson as 3C some posters disagreed with me rather harshly. I think it was Hive in the first place :P

But trying him as Beagle's injury replacement now isn't risky much (atm). Still there are two negative scenarios for that:

- Beagle is out for longer period, his in-house replacement getting spent before June

- his in-house replacement is not good enough (Bura is soft and bad on the dot, Latta is slow, Stephenson is young and unproven, Sill isn't 3C)

I bet GMBM is already on the phone. With Richards not available for another month or so.. FO has to find another option or two.

Actually, Latta is more injury prone than most of the forwards, IMHO. That's not a solid 3C option too.

Then there is Laich.

I guess his groin is what limits him from getting those offensive opportunities into shots on goal at least. His shots are like he's 10 years old now.

And I bet guys in the room know that much much better than us. So there will be no hard feeling about Laich's departure (even if some guys played hundreds of games with him). I think it's really easy to understand for any player right now. Brooks is a good guy, but hockey is a business.

At least, they seemed to be OK after Green's departure, and I guess there were ones connected with Green much more emotionally.

PS: I still prefer some enigmatic Russian (Burmistrov!) :D

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
You know it's a good year when the negative nannies start clamor ing, "I told you so!" After a 5-2 win where we lose a few players to injury. Get over it and be happy. The Caps are the best constructed team in the league, and we have pieces we can slide into the spot of Beagke relatively easily.

:banghead::banghead:

No, no, no, no, no. You don't get it. Not even a little bit.

It's never been about being negative. Sheesh. It's about the disagreement on whether this team was deep enough to deal with sustained injuries (to C and D), and whether Laich would hurt them in the end. Some think it will, and have voiced the concerns and want him traded to save cap space for depth moves....and felt urgent and passionate about it. Especially worried about this scenario in the playoffs.

Others didn't think it mattered, and that the road to the cup is being paved Caps colours, and that everything would be fine...either due to Laich being "good enough", or due to the issue re: injuries never materializing.

Well, the injuries have materialized, so we will see what happens. Thankfully...as has been mentioned by many....it happened well before the playoffs. Imagine if this was game 1, round 1, versus NYI (or Tampa, or Pitt, or FLA, or whomever) last night, and we woke up 1-0 but down all these players.

How would you feel then? Preposterous!!!, right?? Never can happen!!! Right???

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think some posters lacking red font in the signature. Something Laich. I think it could be a great idea overall. Fresh and WORKING tactics.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think some posters lacking red font in the signature. Something Laich. I think it could be a great idea overall. Fresh and WORKING tactics.

We can give it a week or so. I have a LOT more confidence in GMBM than I did in the previous regime. I think the best outlet for any Laich deal would be Toronto.

They have Cap space to take it on, have a lot of bottom 6 veteran forwards to send back, and would welcome any asset to take on Laich for the next 18 months. I'd think a 3rd may get it done.

Laich and a 3rd for Nick Spaling.

Or Laich, a lesser prospect (like Wey or Djoos) and a 2nd for Daniel Winnick

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

A win won't stop them when they have it out for a player (who played very well in said win).

These injuries are a good opportunity to see what the young players can bring, and really clarify the picture of what the team needs to add at the deadline.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Do we know what Beagle had surgery on exactly? Having him out 8 weeks is no biggie. I just hope it's not another Orlov situation or anything like that. Doubt Carlson is out that long. Really would like to know if/when we'll see Orpik. This is how it goes. We are fine and have loads of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad