Post-Game Talk: Sabres @ Avalanche 2/1/2014 1PM MST: The Sacco Bowl

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Scared about Varly going. He is our #1 reason for being where we are, and he's probably getting close to being overworked as it is. Add in a stressful short busy week to the Olympics and it's worrisome.

He will likely start in games that matter to them. They have 2 other goalies they can use for lesser opponents. Varly is young and in very good shape. He can take it.

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010
MacK 1st Star Interview

Anybody have the post-game 1st star interview from the stadium? Right at the end of it I thought MacK said something about wanting to go deep in the playoffs and win The Cup. Did I hear that right? Gotta love ambition! :)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
In a game where Avs dominated these defenders had the following corsi in even strength.

Holden: 22-8
Barrie: 19-9
Guenin: 3-17
Benoit: 4-19

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes he did! And he said something like playoff time is coming. love how he addressed the crowd. Could have just said "thanks for coming" but was a really nice message. Love the confidence.

I'm not an optimistic person by nature so I don't mean to make it sound like its an easy or even likely thing to win the division. I meant it more from a math standpoint that we are not far from it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No reason to panic. This years draft sucks.

Next year however....

Let us enjoy every win this year because the 2015 draft is so good that we might just have to think about bringing Sacco back ;).

McDavid, MacKinnon, Duchene, ROR and (hopefully) Stastny...

I think one more #1/#2 Center and we could be half decent at center... :P

I do wonder who will be the team ending up w/McDavid. I can't help but think Buffalo will bounce back just a little next season, and Burke probably won't let Calgary tank again without a fight. Edmonton...oh God, I don't even want to think about that.

My guess...Nashville.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I do wonder who will be the team ending up w/McDavid. I can't help but think Buffalo will bounce back just a little next season, and Burke probably won't let Calgary tank again without a fight. Edmonton...oh God, I don't even want to think about that.

My guess...Nashville.

won't be Nashville. Sabres, Panthers, Flames would be my three guesses.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

My guess...Nashville.

Calgary will get rid of Cammalleri and Stempniak, so they'll be a bit weaker up front. I could see them trying to move Wideman too, but I'm not sure it would help the tank.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There could be a couple expansion teams by the time McDavid is drafted, you never know. I don't remember how previous expansion teams were awarded their draft position, but I'd imagine they'd have a shot at #1.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There could be a couple expansion teams by the time McDavid is drafted, you never know. I don't remember how previous expansion teams were awarded their draft position, but I'd imagine they'd have a shot at #1.

I don't think the previous expansion teams could ever get #1 but they could get #2 (Legwand) or later (Gaborik #3). There is no way the other teams would accept expansion in a McDavid year if the new team had a chance of getting McDavid.

I don't think we'll see expansion until the year after in 2016.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
My guess is New Jersey. Some teams are going to curiously tank next season plus there are always a few surprises. A big east coast market would love to have McDavid to market.

Btw, good article on the Avs from the Buffalo media

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/avs-young-impressive-skaters-bury-sabres-20140201

It is crazy that our transition kills teams and we only have 2 defenseman that can move the puck. If we could get another guy, it would make us so dangerous.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Expansion drafts in a cap system would be more interesting than in the past. Teams would leave players with contracts they want to get rid off unprotected instead of just their worst players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It is crazy that our transition kills teams and we only have 2 defenseman that can move the puck. If we could get another guy, it would make us so dangerous.

Agreed, but at the same time I'm not too shocked by this.

All our defensemen are really underrated passers except for Holden.

- Guenin: Since coming back has been finding that stretch pass a lot.
- Benoit: Underrated passer.
- Johnson: Insanely good passer this season.
- Hejda: Probably the weakest of the starting 4 defensemen.
- Barrie: Creates chances.
- Sarich: Most underrated passer on the team IMO, but he does struggle at times though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think the previous expansion teams could ever get #1 but they could get #2 (Legwand) or later (Gaborik #3). There is no way the other teams would accept expansion in a McDavid year if the new team had a chance of getting McDavid.

I don't think we'll see expansion until the year after in 2016.

I think you might be right, but I can't remember. I was trying to find info on how it worked but it's kind of hard to find. A lot of info on the expansion draft, not so much on the entry draft.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
So. It's stay healthy and keep good team moral, keep learning to play team hockey....
It's exciting times to be an avs fan.
I'm hoping we do well in our Monday Tuesday b2b

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Agreed, but at the same time I'm not too shocked by this.

All our defensemen are really underrated passers except for Holden.

- Guenin: Since coming back has been finding that stretch pass a lot.
- Benoit: Underrated passer.
- Johnson: Insanely good passer this season.
- Hejda: Probably the weakest of the starting 4 defensemen.
- Barrie: Creates chances.
- Sarich: Most underrated passer on the team IMO, but he does struggle at times though.

Good points. I should have included Benoit. He is a good passer.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
For what it's worth even as a Sabres fan that was an awesome game to watch, really fun watching the Avs speed and skill up front in particular. Hope you do well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad