Post-Game Talk: Sabres at Pens 4/23 Post game Talk

Fordy

May 28, 2008
:laugh:

agreed.

Q: what's better than a physical 4th line?

A: A second 3rd line.

I think Gaborik would be a really good addition to this team but he won't knock anyone out of the top six and I'm not sure he fits the fourth line!!!!! Guess he sits in the press box.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Anyhow, hasn't Jokinen been fairly gritty since coming over? I mean, I'm not confusing him with a Cooke or a Morrow, etc... but the difference in grit between a Jokinen and a Glass isn't enough - in my mind - to overcome the difference in ACTUALLY BEING A GOOD HOCKEY PLAYER.

So, yea, if Jokinen had to take regular 4th-line shifts, but contribute on the PK and PP and move up and down the lineup for injuries and face-offs as needed, I'd be OK with that.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Anyhow, hasn't Jokinen been fairly gritty since coming over? I mean, I'm not confusing him with a Cooke or a Morrow, etc... but the difference in grit between a Jokinen and a Glass isn't enough - in my mind - to overcome the difference in ACTUALLY BEING A GOOD HOCKEY PLAYER.

So, yea, if Jokinen had to take regular 4th-line shifts, but contribute on the PK and PP and move up and down the lineup for injuries and face-offs as needed, I'd be OK with that.

Have we already forgotten that Satan was on our fourth line when we won a cup? And scored a big goal against Carolina?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think the Penguins want the fourth line to be more of an energy line more than a grit line. The third line will be the grit line with Morrow-Sutter-Cooke.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I think the Penguins want the fourth line to be more of an energy line more than a grit line. The third line will be the grit line with Morrow-Sutter-Cooke.

I think the Pens want the fourth line to be the best it possibly can.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
This has been discussed before. You don't have a grit line and an energy line in the playoffs. You don't have a 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4, you just have lines.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Bylsma won't be able to construct a Moen-PÃ¥hlsson-Niedermayer line. blow it up.

Jokinen as a 'rover' seems like a decent idea. as long as you don't play him with Glass/Adams. Sutter seems less likely to suffer a meltdown if forced to hang out with scrubs.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Every time someone says that the last line in our healthy lineup is a fourth line and uses that as an argument to sit better players, I want to kill myself.

There is absolutely no way Craig Adams or Tanner Glass helps a team win a hockey game more than Jussi Jokinen. I don't care who the opponent is.

I don't disagree. I like everything Jokinen has brought to the table. But this is Bylsma we're talking about. If he chooses to scratch Glass and/or Adams for the first time when the playoffs start, I'll be pleasantly shocked. We all know it's not going to happen. So IF healthy, the following forwards are locks to play...

Crosby
Malkin
Iginla
Kunitz
Dupuis
Neal
Sutter
Morrow
Cooke
Adams
Glass

SO, that leaves one spot for Jokinen, Vitale, Bennett, Kennedy, Jeffrey and MacIntyre. Also, what if we're forced to dress seven D?

Again, I'm not saying this is what I would do. But it's what I suspect will happen. Jokinen should be in on the fourth line as the center for Game 1. But I can also see Vitale there for face-offs, or maybe Bennett there for a little added winger presence or high-end offense, etc. Kennedy is in trouble because he is ONLY a third liner with nothing else. Jeffrey and Mac won't play.

Do we really believe Glass and/or Adams will sit in the playoffs?

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I don't disagree. I like everything Jokinen has brought to the table. But this is Bylsma we're talking about. If he chooses to scratch Glass and/or Adams for the first time when the playoffs start, I'll be pleasantly shocked. We all know it's not going to happen. So IF healthy, the following forwards are locks to play...

Crosby
Malkin
Iginla
Kunitz
Dupuis
Neal
Sutter
Morrow
Cooke
Adams
Glass

SO, that leaves one spot for Jokinen, Vitale, Bennett, Kennedy, Jeffrey and MacIntyre. Also, what if we're forced to dress seven D?

Again, I'm not saying this is what I would do. But it's what I suspect will happen. Jokinen should be in on the fourth line as the center for Game 1. But I can also see Vitale there for face-offs, or maybe Bennett there for a little added winger presence or high-end offense, etc. Kennedy is in trouble because he is ONLY a third liner with nothing else. Jeffrey and Mac won't play.

With their experiments on the PK, I think glass will sit for jokinen and bennett. I had my doubts it would happen but with the last few games... it looks like it's coming.

Bennett will be on a short leash though for glass.

Krom

Nov 30, 2002
Visit site
I haven't read all the posts, so forgive me if someone already mentioned this.

On Ott's goal, he clearly hit the puck above his shoulders. Knowing that (a) a goal post is 4 feet high, and that (b) the shoulders of a 6 foot tall player on skates -accounting for slight knee and waist bend - are about 5 feet above the ice, should it be that hard to declare that the goal was scored with a high stick?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

On Ott's goal, he clearly hit the puck above his shoulders. Knowing that (a) a goal post is 4 feet high, and that (b) the shoulders of a 6 foot tall player on skates -accounting for slight knee and waist bend - are about 5 feet above the ice, should it be that hard to declare that the goal was scored with a high stick?

The two biggest issues are: 1) the way the rule is written - there were camera angles that made it look like a high stick and camera angles that were less definitive, so it's not CONCLUSIVE. The rule doesn't allow for common sense to be applied. 2) The ref who overruled the other official(s) on the ice who called it a high stick. It's incredibly hard, given #1, to overturn the call on the ice.

Last edited:

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Bennett
Cooke - Jokinen - Kennedy/Adams

As an outsider, that seems best for you guys (sorry about positions).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think the Pens want the fourth line to be the best it possibly can.

I think the Pens have two third lines.

Cooke-Sutter-Adams . . . your checking third line.

Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett . . . your third line that can play against anyone and score.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Y R U SOREE ???

those are the exact positions everyone does/should play. :)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Flip Jokinen and Sutter . . . Jokinen has worked better with Morrow and Bennett than Sutter has.

As a true checking line, I prefer Cooke-Sutter-Adams

And, oh yeah, slot Kennedy where he belongs.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

He was bending down a little, to me it looked like he was exactly at crossbar height.

I think all of those goals that are close should be good goals. Players are going to try it anyway so its not protecting anyone... if they hit someone call a penalty.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
And, oh yeah, slot Kennedy where he belongs.

Dumpster.JPG

Done and done.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Everyone is in their correct spot. Since I've given up hope on:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter/Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Jokinen/Sutter-Adams

Your lines are exactly what I want to see :nod:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Everyone is in their correct spot. Since I've given up hope on:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter/Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Jokinen/Sutter-Adams

Your lines are exactly what I want to see :nod:

I agree with you, both in terms of preference and what I'm thinking we'll see.

I think it will be Jokinen with Morrow and Bennett (your more scoring oriented third line) and Sutter with Cooke and Adams (your more checking oriented third line) in the end.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

Crosby
Malkin
Iginla
Kunitz
Dupuis
Neal
Sutter
Morrow
Cooke
Adams
Glass

Yes. Like I said, this is the same Bylsma that had Satan in on the fourth line. Stop acting like it's not unprecedented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad