Post-Game Talk: Sabres at Pens 4/23 Post game Talk

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
+ Malkin
+ Iginla
+ Morrow

++++ How hungry this team looked when they went down a goal at the end of the game. They were aggressive and made me feel confident going into the playoffs. Truly looked like they hate losing

-Crazy lines imo
-No hands duper returns
-that last goal, the call, jeffery, and eaton

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Almost forgot what losing feels like.

tumblr_lnuglluiAr1qfqerho1_400.jpg

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
The effort wasn't really there for most of the game and the defensive play was pretty sloppy. That said, the Pens had a ton of great scoring chances and could have easily scored 5 or more. That's just the way it goes sometimes, the bounces can't always go your way. I don't think a loss at this point of the season is a bad thing, and considering the way the Penguins finished the game, I think it might make them a bit more hungry going into the final stretch.

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto
+One step back from winning the President's Trophy.

President's Trophy is gone, dude. Don't worry about that too much.

Unless Sid comes back next game (he won't be), the Art Ross will go to some guy in the South Least Division (or No Goalies Division).

That sucks and all, but the Stanley Cup is what matters.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
Oh well. It was a tiring 5 days. Getting to Boston late, the uncertainty with the game and the change in schedule. I'm surprised they won in Ottawa honestly. Plus with all the guys going in and out of the lineup... I'm not too upset over this loss.

But that play at the blue line by Jeffrey was a play he had no business making. You're a fringe roster player, dump it the **** in.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm not even angry. Pens were 21-2, how can ANYONE be angry? Not used to losing, but i don't mind losing tonight although i rather go into playoffs on a 10 game winning streak. Sabres win the series 2-1. Crosby is our main guy against them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+ Malkin
+ Iginla
+ Morrow

++++ How hungry this team looked when they went down a goal at the end of the game. They were aggressive and made me feel confident going into the playoffs. Truly looked like they hate losing

-Crazy lines imo
-No hands duper returns
-that last goal, the call, jeffery, and eaton

- Malkin's shoulder

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I'm just baffled by Dustin Jeffrey. I mean even Sidney Crosby rarely tries to make that play, and certainly not at the end of his shift with guys changing behind him. The second he made it, I was shocked, and just hoped it wouldn't cost us. But it did.

Actually all of our goals against were on defensive breakdowns, and we had several more that MAF covered up.

The game doesn't mean anything, it's just unfortunate to see a loss on something like that. But it does make Jeffrey's position on the depth chart clear -- perma-buried beneath TK.

I'm not worried about this team in any way beyond injuries, I expect we'll turn things around for next game.

P.S. Anyone else worried about Geno's shot a bit still? Didn't see a single hard shot from him tonight. I doubt he'd be playing if his shoulder was still hurt, but it's rare to see him take 0 slappers over the course of an entire 60. Hell, Iginla took like 7.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
President's Trophy is gone, dude. Don't worry about that too much.

Unless Sid comes back next game (he won't be), the Art Ross will go to some guy in the South Least Division (or No Goalies Division).

That sucks and all, but the Stanley Cup is what matters.

I bet Crosby WILL come back for our next game. No way did he work this hard to lose the Art the last 2 games. Put a cage on for the last 2 games.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The effort wasn't really there for most of the game and the defensive play was pretty sloppy. That said, the Pens had a ton of great scoring chances and could have easily scored 5 or more. That's just the way it goes sometimes, the bounces can't always go your way. I don't think a loss at this point of the season is a bad thing, and considering the way the Penguins finished the game, I think it might make them a bit more hungry going into the final stretch.

Lack of effort and sloppy defensive play comes from a lack of desperation. Not surprising. They're not playing for anything.

That said, if the Pens had one goal to show for every half dozen point blank chances Dupuis had . . . well, let's just say it's amazing what happens to his hands anytime he plays with Malkin. :shakehead

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I thought everyone played a great game. Sometimes you just get sunk by a hot goalie.

Didn't think much of the line combos though. Duper-Geno-Iggy looked great...but then again all three of them were flying.

The difference in the game...the Sabres capitalized on the few chances they had and Miller was great.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
If Malkin's should isn't 100% or as close as it going to be at this point, there's no reason he should of played. Might as well have taking the extra 10-12 days off. Certainly getting a bit concerning with his lack of shots and passivity when opportunities are there.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Lack of effort and sloppy defensive play comes from a lack of desperation. Not surprising. They're not playing for anything.

That said, if the Pens had one goal to show for every half dozen point blank chances Dupuis had . . . well, let's just say it's amazing what happens to his hands anytime he plays with Malkin. :shakehead

Agreed, I'm sure the defense will be tighter and effort much better when it matters. It's hard to bring your A game against the Sabres with nothing to play for for either team.

As for Dupuis, he's been crazy good burying his chances earlier this season, he was bound to get a game like this. I'm not worried, I still think he's playing great.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just hope lines and chemistry get figured out and settled before the playoffs.

Now that was a big MINUS from this game. I've got NO clue why we didn't see some Bennett or Jokinen on Geno's LW, if only for a shift or two, because Dupuis is close to the last guy who will be playing with Malkin when the playoffs start. Iggy, I could see . . . if Neal can't go, maybe Sid plays with Kunitz and Dupuis. BUT, then you need a LW there. Why Bylsma didn't try different guys is beyond me. Then again, why Morrow and Dupuis didn't play together after how they've looked together the last half dozen games is beyond me too. I thought it looked like Kunitz and Iggy would be going with Sid and Morrow and Dupuis would be on the third line. Now, let's just say if I have to listen to IcedCapp say 'I told you so', then I'm going to be really pissed for spiking my drink with Bylsmaid a few weeks ago.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Malkin's should isn't 100% or as close as it going to be at this point, there's no reason he should of played. Might as well have taking the extra 10-12 days off. Certainly getting a bit concerning with his lack of shots and passivity when opportunities are there.

You can't tell me it's close to 100%. He tried to rip one shot all night, and it looked like a pop gun compared even to Orpik's '95 mph' slapper.

That said, I'm glad that he got the work in. This game and the next two effectively are preseason games in terms of what I expect desperation-wise. Better to play unless you absolutely can't go.

Murray had a pretty bad game.

Despite his goal, so did Kunitz.

Bengui

Jul 24, 2009
- Forgot how much losing sucks... And the next one who says "meaningless game", I digitally punch him in the nose.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
. Sabres win the series 2-1. Crosby is our main guy against them.

Haha Miller is terrified of Crosby, but he certainly put on a show tonight.

Anyways big + to Iggy and his goal streak.

And it might be a good thing for them to take a loss tonight. Reminds them what it's like to lose, gets it out of their system, and motivates them going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad