News Article: Sabres are a complete embarrassment, from John Scott to owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
Let's first acknowledge that it's not the Buffalo Sabres' fault that they are the way they are.
Every cheap hit in the last few years, every embarrassing fistic melodrama, is entirely the fault of Milan Lucic for running over Ryan Miller and getting away with it.

This was not only on the ice when no one from the Sabres tried to fight him in the immediate aftermath, but also because the League barely even gave the incident a second look. Dug a deep chip into the organization's shoulder, and ever since the league — including the Bruins (but not Lucic himself) — has been paying the price.

That incident led the Sabres' abhorrent and incompetent general manager to go out that summer and acquire John Scott and Steve Ott in a misguided and ultimately tragic pursuit of "toughness," and that summer also gave Patrick Kaleta a three-year extension for the exact same idiotic reason.

The incident in which Scott tried to hit Loui Eriksson's head, in such a way that it screwed up and off his body like a bottle cap, is just the latest point which highlights why the Sabres don't deserve to even compete in the National Hockey League this season, and the reasons why are obvious.

What, for example, was Scott, who is widely known as perhaps the most pathetic actual hockey player in the NHL (even Paul Bissonnette has the bomb of a one-timer, right?) doing on the ice against the other team's top line in the third period of a game his team was losing by two goals?

The answer wasn't "generating a goal that would bring the team back within one," though at this point in the season you could probably say that about any Sabres player not named Thomas Vanek or Cody Hodgson, because they're almost as useless in attack as Scott is. The Sabres have 14 goals this season in 11 games, which is just sad. You'd have to think even a pretty-good AHL team would have more than that.

The hit was so clearly intended to do what it did, though, that it leads one to ask a very simple question:

How stupid is Scott, really?

More: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...john-scott-owner-trending-135054676--nhl.html

:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
Haha, thanks for editing...I did "confirmed with link" for comedic effect, and "news article" didn't seem to really fit either since it seems to be an Op-Ed or Blog post, but I didn't see a prefix for those.

Also, great quote:

(Scott, by the way, definitely seems like the kind of person who accidentally hugged a rabbit to death as a kid.)

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Full of ignorance.

Can you imagine how dumb, or at least ignorant, you have to be to drill someone in the chin like that a good second after he releases the puck, see the guy helped off the ice by two teammates, and try to act as though you did not in fact do the thing you just did? If he thought he was fooling anyone, he's an idiot. If he thought he didn't hit Eriksson in the head, he is absurdly negligent and has no place in the league.
Was not a full second. ANY player acts like that when they're called for a penalty, especially a major.

On the other hand, maybe Scott really didn't know it was a headshot, and his brain does work about as well as he plays hockey. In that case, he is just a dangerous idiot, unaware of his own injurious capabilities. At least George had the common decency to take Lennie out to the pond and put him out of his misery. That the Sabres continue to not only pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars, but use him in the lineup just about every night, tells you all you need to know about the kind of malicious intent with which they enter every game.
Yes, because John Scott has a history of trying to injure players and delivering dirty hits. So clearly this is what the team expected.

The problem with suspending Scott is that this does nothing to hurt a team that apparently needs to have an entire library's worth of books thrown at it before it gets any kind of message.
If the examples for this are the Kaleta hit and the Scott hit, then the author is clueless.

(This goes without mentioning, by the way, that Scott is somehow not a repeat offender and likely won't catch as much in the way of a suspension as all that.)
Somehow.. because he's not a dirty player and doesn't throw dirty hits you bumbling excuse for a journalist.

Well when given the chance to talk about the incident, Scott predictably turtled, preferring instead to say nothing
This is common after a controversial incident. He did speak the next day. Why is this an issue? Grasping for straws is why.

Wednesday's incident, for instance, overshadowed the fact that Kevin Porter tried to board Torey Krug earlier in the game. If he had waited an extra half-stride, the crosscheck he put right between the numbers while the rookie defenseman was trying to retrieve the puck near the endboards would have resulted in a major penalty, rather than a minor, and likely a call from Brendan Shanahan.

That it didn't is only happenstance, and perhaps incompetence on Porter's part. I'd say you'll get 'em next time, kid, but the team just put you on waivers.
Criticizing something that didn't actually happen now and calling it "lucky"? Wow.

Kaleta's actions at any given moment of his career are highly likely to be inexcusable, probably even among his teammates, but he's still getting 10 minutes a night in Buffalo over the course of his unfortunate career.
Because beneath the dirty or questionable plays , he's a decent hockey player.

Again, Scott was out there in the final period of a two-goal game, and you don't send him over the boards with anything but malice. He might not have said, "Go take someone's head off, Johnny," but he didn't need to. That's implicit in putting him out there at all.
Scott didn't go hunting for a hit. The opportunity presented itself and he took it, whether or not it was a good decision. He didn't go out of his way.

This is true of Kaleta as well. Kaleta's role is to make sure everyone on the ice has their head on a swivel, and maybe thinks twice about turning to face the boards, because if they do, there's a good chance they're getting their faces mashed into them at 60 miles an hour.
Hyperbole is cool.

John Tortorella was suspended for a game in 2009 for squirting a fan with a water bottle, then throwing it into the stands, and really, this is so much worse.
This is worse? What? Ron Rolston playing a guy he literally had to because of other injuries? And letting him have his occassional shift, because Scott was actually having a decent game prior?

And that's the thing: These are the kinds of players the Sabres can roll at any time, and if this is going to be their response every time they're down a few goals in the third period, the other teams might just stop coming out of the dressing room so they don't get one of their best players killed.
More pathetic hyperbole.

And that's really all fanboy owner Terry Pegula cares about.
What does this even mean? Are other owners not fans of their team?

Remember all the proclamations when he first bought the team — no, not the ones about winning multiple Stanley Cups, although, haha — that he wasn't in this to make money? "If I want to make money, I'll go drill another natural gas well," and whatever else he said. Well, ticket prices went up between $1 and $4 for 2011-12, between $2 and $8 for the partially locked-out 2012-13 campaign, and an additional $1 to $4 this year.
As they have across the league. You know what also keeps going up? The team's spending on players, scouts, arena improvements, city projects, etc. Does the author expect Terry to just keep spending and not try to increase revenue? Typical naive view of how sports businesses work.

----

This is truly an embarassing article. The few valid points he has are sandwiched by hyperbole, logically inconsistencies are very bad attempts to vilify the team.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
As bad as the article is, been seeing a lot of this on twitter by national hockey people. Sabres not in good standing around the NHL in more ways then one.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Wow, this is possibly the trashiest hockey article that i have ever read. This guys bias bleeds through every punctuated sentence. I am not going to defend the Scott hit, but Lambert just brutally attacks Scott's character and not just the hockey play. Not that I think he had much credibility to begin with, but I can't take Lambert seriously at all.

I know there is some sort of comedic value to such a blatantly biased piece, but i don't think i can see it here. It's just that bad.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
talk about no class, what an embarrassment...yahoo should drop this clown before john scott does.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You guys have to stop attacking writers and start attacking the Sabres organization. Most people here spend more time complaining about writers and bloggers then they do talking about why the team they love is a joke. This thread will be no different.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think that article sums up 80% of the fan bases perspective very well.
I think 80% of the fan base "should be fired"

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
You guys have to stop attacking writers and start attacking the Sabres organization. Most people here spend more time complaining about writers and bloggers then they do talking about why the team they love is a joke. This thread will be no different.

Nope, stop right there. Those things are not mutually exclusive and don't pretend they are.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Tons of libel in that article and I would love for Scott to go after him just for the simple fact the "blogger" is acting out of control. Just because you are not classified as a real reporter doesn't mean you can say whatever you want.

Boston citizens/fans in general have a high degree of ignorance and arrogance. No different in this article. The same fans crying about this hit are the same ones applauding Chara when he ran a guys head into a glass wall and put him on a stretcher.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
I want to preface this by saying that I love Ryan Lambert's twitter account more than probably anything.

He's got some fair points, but he goes too far in some areas. Namely his criticisms of ticket prices and him saying this market should vote with their wallets. This city likes hockey and therefore usually does well selling out the building even with mediocre and now a downright bad team. Criticizing a fanbase for paying to see their team because of how the roster is constructed is a completely insufferable thing to do, Lambert acts as if the Buffalo Sabres are pro wrestling or something.

Ron Rolston SHOULDN'T be playing John Scott in any circumstance when you're down 2 goals. The goal in that situation needs to be tying the freaking game.

Kaleta's NOT worth the headaches as a hockey player. Sure he's a decent penalty killer, but even the most hardened Buffalonian should probably be considering that we're getting to a point where enough is enough with that guy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think that article sums up 80% of the fan bases perspective very well.
I think 80% of the fan base "should be fired"

I don't think that too many fans view things that way.

Lambert is an shock blogger who throws outrageous garbage out there to get pageviews.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-troll-22.png

SToMper!

Feb 27, 2002
Sand Bar
www.shorelinemediapro.com
Tons of libel in that article and I would love for Scott to go after him just for the simple fact the "blogger" is acting out of control. Just because you are not classified as a real reporter doesn't mean you can say whatever you want.

Boston citizens/fans in general have a high degree of ignorance and arrogance. No different in this article. The same fans crying about this hit are the same ones applauding Chara when he ran a guys head into a glass wall and put him on a stretcher.

Coming in peace here. Just wanted to see the sentiment here. I have to say that Scott's hit was pretty bad but I don't think he's a Matt Cooke. He's a fighter without any prior history as a cheap shot artist. He has his roll and he made a mistake on that hit.

That said....I don't know any fellow B's fans who applauded Chara's hit on Pax. Noone was happy that it happened. Seriously, the B's are a tough team to play against but aren't out intentionally targeting people for injury.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future

You would actually defend this article?

If a blogger/journalist/whatever wants to write an article about why the Sabres organization is a joke, than they better do the proper research. Keep the bias to a complete minimum and make sure what you're saying can be supported by hard evidence that isn't skewed to support your argument. An article of that nature would have my complete attention. The above article has none of these merits.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Had I known it was Lambert I would not have even clicked the link. As others have said, he's basically a troll hired by yahoo into generating clicks based on over-exaggerated trash articles.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Had I known it was Lambert I would not have even clicked the link. As others have said, he's basically a troll hired by yahoo into generating clicks based on over-exaggerated trash articles.

Yep, Ryan Lambert is a ****ing idiot. Nothing to see here people, move on. ;)

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Coming in peace here. Just wanted to see the sentiment here. I have to say that Scott's hit was pretty bad but I don't think he's a Matt Cooke. He's a fighter without any prior history as a cheap shot artist. He has his roll and he made a mistake on that hit.

That said....I don't know any fellow B's fans who applauded Chara's hit on Pax. Noone was happy that it happened. Seriously, the B's are a tough team to play against but aren't out intentionally targeting people for injury.

Didn't take long to find a bruins blog to defend the hit.

At the risk of opening this can of worms again, Chara’s hit on Pacioretty was not a head shot.

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2011/0...olds-grudge-against-chara-even-after-apology/

So let me get this straight. Throwing a guys head into a glass wall going against his moving direction is not a head shot?!?!

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You would actually defend this article?

If a blogger/journalist/whatever wants to write an article about why the Sabres organization is a joke, than they better do the proper research. Keep the bias to a complete minimum and make sure what you're saying can be supported by hard evidence that isn't skewed to support your argument. An article of that nature would have my complete attention. The above article has none of these merits.

No I would not. Its an opinion though. The fact someone feels this way about the Sabres is what bothers me the most. I ask myself how did this happen?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

So let me get this straight. So because the guy is suppsodely a troll hired by yahoo to generate clicks, he is allowed to say whatever he wants without no accountability. He is allowed to personally attack players that have nothing to do with the game of hockey.

This my friend is libel:

In that case, he is just a dangerous idiot, unaware of his own injurious capabilities.
Scott, by the way, definitely seems like the kind of person who accidentally hugged a rabbit to death as a kid.
because he couldn't find an primatologist to translate his grunts and gestures

Say whatever you want about his game, but once you start to degrade the guy in regards to his mental being, you cross a line.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
That's not libel. He's not presenting any of those things as fact.

Definition of libel:

a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.

Calling someone a dangerous idiot is perfect example of a statement that is damaging to a person's reputation. Would you hire someone that was called a dangerous idiot?!?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I have to agree with VCV 100% here. He picked it apart wonderfully. Nothing wrong with picking apart what writers say. Call them out on bias writing. Hell, we do that to each other on this website 1,000 times a day :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad