Confirmed with Link: Sabres agree with Mattias Samuelsson on a three-year, entry-level contract.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don’t want to rush him. Let him get Rochester experience in 20/21, he can get a shot in 21/22.
I only consider it rushing a player if they're not ready to play at this level and you continue to use them or have him watch. The Botterill excuse that they're developing a player by having him watch from the press box means he's not ready.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I will not be surprised if he makes the roster and plays well on the 3rd pair this season. He plays a very mature game for his age.
I wonder if they are hoping for more young guys on ELCs contributing this year.

Murray can take Girgensons role for half the price and can Samuelsson be worse than bogosian at a 5th of the price?

Reactions: Der Jaeger

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wonder if they are hoping for more young guys on ELCs contributing this year.

Murray can take Girgensons role for half the price and can Samuelsson be worse than bogosian at a 5th of the price?
Murray? As in Brett Murray? It would be terrifying to think that’s the plan.

I agree with you in general that they’re hoping young guys on ELCs/inexpensive deals can take spots. Probably guys like Bryson and CJ Smith though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

I agree with you in general that they’re hoping young guys on ELCs/inexpensive deals can take spots. Probably guys like Bryson and CJ Smith though.

The two guys you named have NHL future imo. Smith could step in as a speed guy on the wing, maybe becomes Holzinger-esque with time. Bryson has a future as a middle pairing guy for sure.

Reactions: joshjull

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I only consider it rushing a player if they're not ready to play at this level and you continue to use them or have him watch. The Botterill excuse that they're developing a player by having him watch from the press box means he's not ready.

No joke. Not rushing is an excuse half the time that it was a bad pick just continuing to go down in value. Somehow, some way Leafs have an 2nd round 18-year-old in playoffs tonight. The Sabres have become a joke under the Pegulas. Bad picks. Bd development. Bad contracts. Bad trades. We've done so little right other than with obvious picks like Eichel. I believe even Dahlin would be developing better on another team.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He probably needs to work on his skating and overall mobility before he’s ready for the NHL. I’d honestly be shocked if he doesn’t need at least a year in Rochester.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I see Bryson getting a shot next year but I think his tole is more of a third pair Dnan. Samuelson I look at as second pair Dmrn which is McCsbes current slot.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No joke. Not rushing is an excuse half the time that it was a bad pick just continuing to go down in value. Somehow, some way Leafs have an 2nd round 18-year-old in playoffs tonight. The Sabres have become a joke under the Pegulas. Bad picks. Bd development. Bad contracts. Bad trades. We've done so little right other than with obvious picks like Eichel. I believe even Dahlin would be developing better on another team.
Well when your organization is a neverending parade of entry level amateurs and you absolutely refuse under any circumstance to hire actual experienced professionals you end up passing on guys like that to take a guy whose ceiling is as an irrelevant bottom pair make up the numbers plug 5 years from now. As horrible as this org is at developing guys the incompetent scouts and management with Julio Iglesias eyes for talent have been an even bigger one. Samuelson is considered either our 3rd or 4th best prospect. How many other organizations can you think of where he would be ranked that high?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I get your anger and frustration with the organization. Its completely justified. But what does the bolded have to do with Samuelsson specifically?

If he starts in the AHL next season because he isn’t ready. That would be perfectly normal for someone drafted where he was entering his D+3 season. The kid in Toronto doing something outside the norm doesn’t change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Bob

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think Samuelsson will surprise many next season, could see him shine as a puck mover on top of his stellar defense. As excited about him as Dahlin/Power.

I think Sammy will always be well valued and loved by Sabres fans and a minority of others on the outisde, but he'll be perpetually underrated by average fans and much of the media because of Power & Dahlin. Heck, I would argue Kris Letang is the most underrated player in the last 10-12 years because of Crosby & Malkin, even though he's the #1 Dman. But people are stupid :)

p.s. I got excited for a split second when I saw this thread bumped because I thought we signed him to an extension before I saw the ELC in the title (and realized it's not July 13th yet) :laugh:

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Well when your organization is a neverending parade of entry level amateurs and you absolutely refuse under any circumstance to hire actual experienced professionals you end up passing on guys like that to take a guy whose ceiling is as an irrelevant bottom pair make up the numbers plug 5 years from now. As horrible as this org is at developing guys the incompetent scouts and management with Julio Iglesias eyes for talent have been an even bigger one. Samuelson is considered either our 3rd or 4th best prospect. How many other organizations can you think of where he would be ranked that high?

That is quite the anti-Samuelsson rant!

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I hope he has better luck next season and doesn't get injured, but the guy is fearless and constantly blocks shots.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover

That is quite the anti-Samuelsson rant!

All I can say is that the rant :blah: you quoted - from August of 2020 - does not appear to have aged well. At all.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
All I can say is that the rant :blah: you quoted - from August of 2020 - does not appear to have aged well. At all.
Sir he was redeemed by the all powerful Giraffe Gods:
FB_IMG_1626386474794.jpg

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Edit: Double Post. So as not to have been a total waste here is a picture in which he expresses his love for the basketball deity AI:
FB_IMG_1609814363084.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jmelm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad