Confirmed with Link: Sabres agree with Mattias Samuelsson on a three-year, entry-level contract.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I'm interested to see how he develops if/when things get going again.
I did not follow him and wonder how much development there was after his selection. He was considered a safe pick at the time with the size and defensive awareness we needed albeit lacking both elite skating and offensive ability.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I did not follow him and wonder how much development there was after his selection. He was considered a safe pick at the time with the size and defensive awareness we needed albeit lacking both elite skating and offensive ability.

He will need to improve his footwork if he can and improve his processing speed as the play gets faster. It would be cool if his smart, positional play and physical play can merge as a pro. We have had so many d-men who make bad decisions on when and how to engage physically in the last... decade?... that getting a smart one would be nice.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

He showed all the things at Western that people expected of him in his draft year.

Leadership - wore the A at Western as a sophomore and the C at the WJCs for the US.

Size and defensive ability - named a finalist for NCHC Defensive Defenseman of the Year as a sophomore.

He isn't going to light things up offensively. But, that isn't why he was drafted.

The big thing will be whether his skating and mobility becomes an issue as he moves to the AHL and eventually the NHL.

Last edited:

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Would love to see him turn into a Cernak type of player. Minus the dirty hits of course. Decent skater, uses size and reach well, wont wow offensively.

Reactions: southeastern

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Late season call up!?!?!
Given the uncertain nature of the NHL season right now, only ELCs that go into effect next season can be signed now. If there are further NHL games, Samuelsson will not be eligible to play in them, as he will not be party to an NHL contract during this league year. If the AHL season resumes, he could sign an ATO and play with the Amerks, however.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Seems like an early Christmas present for Samuelsson, no ? From the reports I've heard is that he wasn't even close to being NHL ready

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Seems like an early Christmas present for Samuelsson, no ? From the reports I've heard is that he wasn't even close to being NHL ready
I think its more about his game needing to grow in the pros. He’s going to play with a nasty edge that can’t be used as much in college. He can grow that part of his game more in the AHL while also working on his footwork/skating.

Reactions: VaporTrail

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If he plays a smart, simple, physical game in camp he could be on the Sabres opening day roster.
He’s one of those guys I think would be more effective as a pro than he was in college. Or at least the nasty, physical edge he can play with won’t be restricted like it is in college. Which allows him to play a more intimidating physical game as a pro.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
He could easily be a smart play to see what you have in camp, and if he's capable, putting him on the third pair, and not spending useless dollars on a one year UFA. Using the Sandin situation in Toronto to use that money in goal tending and forward depth. A Markstrom / Ullmark tandem would be a Swede we need, and send Hutton out for a conditional 1 year rental 4th-6th round pick. He could be solid for a competing team.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Please let this kid pan out! Huge for our team (literally) to be able to shift Miller or Montour out for some offensive help. Maybe one day we’ll look young and strong on D. In a perfect world.
Dahlin-Joker
Johnson-Risto
Samuelsson-Borgen

size, grit, skill. A Couple of QBs, a couple of brick houses.

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I will not be surprised if he makes the roster and plays well on the 3rd pair this season. He plays a very mature game for his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad