Sabres advise Compher to play another year in college

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
What's our sense of the things he's better off working on in college? I don't watch his games, but the sense I've always had was that he's a hardworking, versatile defensive forward. I don't know that were waiting for more skill to blossom.

Could he be held back more as a product of the organization being full than developing a particular aspect of his game? Or, option 3, is he just not equipped to handle ahl level competition?

He's a pretty good playmaker actually. I don't think he'll be a scoring line player but offense is something he can continue to work on at Michigan. Another season there will also give him a lot of opportunity to add strength with the ability to train during the week. I don't really see the point in having him in the AHL rather than the NCAA. Given that he had a down year it makes a lot of sense for him to try and progress at that level before worrying about the next.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Let's be frank, he had a terrible year last year. Murray probably is trying to trade him and don't want to lose value when he sucks in AHL

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Let's be frank, he had a terrible year last year. Murray probably is trying to trade him and don't want to lose value when he sucks in AHL

Where have I seen this game before? :sarcasm:

Or he sees nothing wrong with keeping him in college. He probably weighed out the pros and cons about keeping him in NCAA vs fast-tracking him to the AHL, which watching this past season, he wasn't ready for.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If Compher remains in college the full four years, or leaves college following January 1 of his senior year, the Sabres will hold his rights until August 15, 2017. If Compher were to leave college earlier than that, the Sabres would retain his rights until June 1, 2017 (the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft).

Players who spend a year playing junior A or in the USHL after being drafted but prior to entering college can leave college after their junior years and have their rights expire that summer. Compher is not one of those players, however (nor, for the record, is Fasching. His situation is identical to Compher's)

As for the length of Compher's ELC, Compher's ELC will still be three years in 2016. In 2017, on the other hand, he would count as a 22 year old player for the purposes of signing his ELC, and would sign a two year deal.

Thanks for the contract clarification. Assuming a similar approach to Fasching, we could have a nice staggering of our forward prospects.

Next season Baptiste, Bailey and Dupuy are going pro. The season after that could be Compher and Fasching. Maybe even Malone of he picks up where he left off this past season.

EDIT: Its incredible the amount of decent to good to very good prospects we have from the 2013 draft. I'll throw Dupuy in there as well since he was eligible for the 2013 draft but went undrafted.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thanks for the contract clarification. Assuming a similar approach to Fasching, we could have a nice staggering of our forward prospects.

Next season Baptiste, Bailey and Dupuy are going pro. The season after that could be Compher and Fasching. Maybe even Malone of he picks up where he left off this past season.

EDIT: Its incredible the amount of decent to good to very good prospects we have from the 2013 draft. I'll throw Dupuy in there as well since he was eligible for the 2013 draft but went undrafted.

Speaking of guys going pro and the 2013 draft, while I haven't heard anything in a while, based on what Murray said I wouldn't be surprised if Possler comes over for next season.

scooch151

Dec 4, 2006

I guess, if you want to look at straight stats last year? Maybe in terms of assists.... but that's missing a lot of the story.

He played a different role (a much more responsible, secure type than a scoring role) with the arrival of Dylan Larkin and sudden emergence of Zach Hyman on Michigan this past year (which made up 2/3 of the main scoring line). He didn't play on that top line, because his work was needed on other lines. The scoring is there (a stretch of 7 goals in 4 games, with 2 hat tricks in there) but it's not what Coach Berenson necessarily wanted out of him all the time.

I mean... here's the stat line comparison:
2013-14 - 11G, 20A 31P, 87Shots -- (35 GP)
2014-15 - 12G, 12A 24P, 97Shots -- (34 GP)

The drop in assists is him not being with a pure "scorer" all of the time, and having to bear the load more himself (becoming more of a leader on the team). Justin Selman (http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/justin_selman_814515.html) got the 3rd spot on that scoring line usually, and you can see the boost he got.

This coming year will be interesting. Lots of scoring not returning (Copp gone, Hyman gone, Larkin possibly leaving early?), so we'll see how he's used, and what situation he finds himself in from a coaching perspective. Then I think a better handle can start to be had before anyone starts saying "he'll suck in the AHL". It's a good move by the Sabres to keep him down there, IMO. I'd imagine he'll have a more prominent role this year, which allows for more valuable evaluation than sticking him in the AHL, especially if they see possible leadership qualities in there.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
He needs to sign in the next 30 days, doesn't he?

No. Starting with the 2013 draft, players drafted from clubs outside of North America at the age of 18 or 19 have their exclusive rights retained for four years. The Sabres hold Possler's rights until June 1, 2017

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I guess, if you want to look at straight stats last year? Maybe in terms of assists.... but that's missing a lot of the story.

He played a different role (a much more responsible, secure type than a scoring role) with the arrival of Dylan Larkin and sudden emergence of Zach Hyman on Michigan this past year (which made up 2/3 of the main scoring line). He didn't play on that top line, because his work was needed on other lines. The scoring is there (a stretch of 7 goals in 4 games, with 2 hat tricks in there) but it's not what Coach Berenson necessarily wanted out of him all the time.

I mean... here's the stat line comparison:
2013-14 - 11G, 20A 31P, 87Shots -- (35 GP)
2014-15 - 12G, 12A 24P, 97Shots -- (34 GP)

The drop in assists is him not being with a pure "scorer" all of the time, and having to bear the load more himself (becoming more of a leader on the team). Justin Selman (http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/justin_selman_814515.html) got the 3rd spot on that scoring line usually, and you can see the boost he got.

This coming year will be interesting. Lots of scoring not returning (Copp gone, Hyman gone, Larkin possibly leaving early?), so we'll see how he's used, and what situation he finds himself in from a coaching perspective. Then I think a better handle can start to be had before anyone starts saying "he'll suck in the AHL". It's a good move by the Sabres to keep him down there, IMO. I'd imagine he'll have a more prominent role this year, which allows for more valuable evaluation than sticking him in the AHL, especially if they see possible leadership qualities in there.
Good post. I agree with most everything you stated here. He got off to a slow start last year and had some consistency problems throughout, but he finished strong (completely aside from the hat tricks/scoring) and in the end arguably started to build nicely on what he achieved as a Freshman. If he can work on the things he mentioned and develop that consistency, he is simply an excellent 2-way hockey player and a definite piece moving forward. A bit more work to be done and I agree that another year in college is the right move.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
What about left wing

He is a right handed shot. You don't see that done all that often, and it is almost always a big time sniper (i.e. Ovechkin), to get them in the center of the ice. If you are a player looking to work along the board or a puck carrier/passer it is a huge disadvantage.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I am always nervous about drafting college players. You think they want to play in the NHL but if they stay in college you lose them to free agency. It doesn't happen often but usually one talented college prospect a year you see turn down a contract and become a free agent after three years of college.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Ah the "let's read far too into things"

Buffalo feels he will be better suited in the NCAA than NHL after a bad year in the NCAA

I don't see why this needs its own thread.

NCAA is just a step below the AHL in terms of competitiveness and skill level. Compher is in one of the best programs in the country. Whats the rush to get him to Rochester?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I can't figure where Compher fits in going forward, even if he does get his career trajectory back on track. He seems like the high end of his potential is as a 3rd line grinder with some limited scoring touch...Gregory Campbell / Daniel Paille type of contribution.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Ah the "let's read far too into things"

Buffalo feels he will be better suited in the NCAA than NHL after a bad year in the NCAA

I don't see why this needs its own thread.

NCAA is just a step below the AHL in terms of competitiveness and skill level. Compher is in one of the best programs in the country. Whats the rush to get him to Rochester?

Not to nitpick but you mean AHL? Or are you talking about jumping from College to NHL?

He had a bad year but wasn't he injured?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If Dean Lombardi was dead he would be rolling in his grave after hearing that an organization willingly wanted one of their prospects to be coached by Red Berenson for longer than they needed to be.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Sounds like Fasching will be going back to school too...

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Nothing wrong with staying another year.

giphy.gif

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Fasching to me is the one prospect I would be worried about going to free agency. LA was reportedly open to trading him because being close to home is the number one priority for him in regards to his siblings. I'm sure the Pegulas could get it done but still there's the potential for him to walk.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
The question I asked was based on your wording. I asked for clarification because saying he needs at least another year implies one beyond his junior year may also be needed. Or another words you think it may take 1-2 more college seasons (3-4 total) before he will be ready.

You're saying at least again. Which makes me think you don't feel 3 years may be enough. Not to nitpick but what exactly is your stance? One more year in college then they go pro? Or possible two more?

Btw I really don't care if Compher or Fasching go pro this season or next. Its a nice tool to be able to use college to extend the teams hold and when their ELCs start. But I'm not sure how a player going pro two years post draft is considered fast tracking them. If they were in juniors it would be the normal course of things.

Why does he have to make a decision?

He's not ready now. He may not be ready after 3 years. He may not ever be ready. Make the decision when it needs to be made based on the proof we've seen.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Neither of them have displayed top 6 potential. Why rush them? Why rush ourselves into making decisions we do not need to make right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad