Sabres advise Compher to play another year in college

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If Larkin goes pro it could allow Compher to re-establish himself as a top center for Michigan. Which would obviously be great for his development

Question: Will his ELC be 3 years long regardless if he signs this summer or next? I'm assuming it is and part of the reason for Sabres management wanting him to go back is to stagger our prospects. This way Dupuy, Bailey and Baptiste all come in next year with Compher and possibly Fasching the year after.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
This means if he graduates next summer but refuses to sign with the Sabres he'd be a UFA, right?

But probably the best move for his development, Rochester's forward ranks are getting crowded.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Other than the one poster who is wrong on just about every topic, did anyone believe that Compher was turning pro after his sophomore year? He needs at least another year before heading to Rochester.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Other than the one poster who is wrong on just about every topic, did anyone believe that Compher was turning pro after his sophomore year? He needs at least another year before heading to Rochester.

Are you saying he may need more than one more year in college to be ready for the AHL?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Are you saying he may need more than one more year in college to be ready for the AHL?

He might. I don't see the need, nor have I understood, some posters' desire to fast track guys like Compher, Fasching, et al - I'm not saying you're one of them, but they do exist. Let them marinate and develop in college for at least three years, then make the decision after their respective junior years. That's all I'm saying.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
This means if he graduates next summer but refuses to sign with the Sabres he'd be a UFA, right?

But probably the best move for his development, Rochester's forward ranks are getting crowded.

This was his sophomore season. He has two years of NCAA eligibility left, two years left on his degree I imagine.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He might. I don't see the need, nor have I understood, some posters' desire to fast track guys like Compher, Fasching, et al - I'm not saying you're one of them, but they do exist. Let them marinate and develop in college for at least three years, then make the decision after their respective junior years. That's all I'm saying.

The question I asked was based on your wording. I asked for clarification because saying he needs at least another year implies one beyond his junior year may also be needed. Or another words you think it may take 1-2 more college seasons (3-4 total) before he will be ready.

You're saying at least again. Which makes me think you don't feel 3 years may be enough. Not to nitpick but what exactly is your stance? One more year in college then they go pro? Or possible two more?

Btw I really don't care if Compher or Fasching go pro this season or next. Its a nice tool to be able to use college to extend the teams hold and when their ELCs start. But I'm not sure how a player going pro two years post draft is considered fast tracking them. If they were in juniors it would be the normal course of things.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
This was his sophomore season. He has two years of NCAA eligibility left, two years left on his degree I imagine.

Since athletes are around every summer, they usually take summer classes and finish up their bachelors in their third year and then spend their fourth getting a masters if they want. But isn't there a specific rule about NCAA players who choose to graduate after three years? I think it starts a summer clock to get them signed before they become UfA?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Since athletes are around every summer, they usually take summer classes and finish up their bachelors in their third year and then spend their fourth getting a masters if they want. But isn't there a specific rule about NCAA players who choose to graduate after three years? I think it starts a summer clock to get them signed before they become UfA?

Dotcommunism can pop in with the detailed rules but as far as I know the time a team is given a players' rights remains constant once drafted. A player can leave college, play in the CHL or a Euro league and the team will have had his rights for four years.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
good, because he was entirely underwhelming each time i watched Michigan this year

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Dotcommunism can pop in with the detailed rules but as far as I know the time a team is given a players' rights remains constant once drafted. A player can leave college, play in the CHL or a Euro league and the team will have had his rights for four years.

The language specifies the year "of his graduating class", which seems to indicate the standard 4 years as opposed to when they actually graduate individually.

Devo-2

Apr 1, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
If Larkin goes pro it could allow Compher to re-establish himself as a top center for Michigan. Which would obviously be great for his development

He mentioned in the interview working more at wing next year. He also said he follows the Sabres pretty regularly and watched the draft lottery. I think he sees the top three centers in place already and may want to make himself a bit more versatile when his time comes.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He mentioned in the interview working more at wing next year. He also said he follows the Sabres pretty regularly and watched the draft lottery. I think he sees the top three centers in place already and may want to make himself a bit more versatile when his time comes.

Right wing is quite well stacked too.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What's our sense of the things he's better off working on in college? I don't watch his games, but the sense I've always had was that he's a hardworking, versatile defensive forward. I don't know that were waiting for more skill to blossom.

Could he be held back more as a product of the organization being full than developing a particular aspect of his game? Or, option 3, is he just not equipped to handle ahl level competition?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

If Compher remains in college the full four years, or leaves college following January 1 of his senior year, the Sabres will hold his rights until August 15, 2017. If Compher were to leave college earlier than that, the Sabres would retain his rights until June 1, 2017 (the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft).

Players who spend a year playing junior A or in the USHL after being drafted but prior to entering college can leave college after their junior years and have their rights expire that summer. Compher is not one of those players, however (nor, for the record, is Fasching. His situation is identical to Compher's)

As for the length of Compher's ELC, Compher's ELC will still be three years in 2016. In 2017, on the other hand, he would count as a 22 year old player for the purposes of signing his ELC, and would sign a two year deal.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What's our sense of the things he's better off working on in college? I don't watch his games, but the sense I've always had was that he's a hardworking, versatile defensive forward. I don't know that were waiting for more skill to blossom.

Could he be held back more as a product of the organization being full than developing a particular aspect of his game? Or, option 3, is he just not equipped to handle ahl level competition?

On WGR he said he wants to take next year to improve strength and skating. Wants to put on more weight and play more wing to make him more versatile as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad