Sabres advise Compher to play another year in college

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Fasching to me is the one prospect I would be worried about going to free agency. LA was reportedly open to trading him because being close to home is the number one priority for him in regards to his siblings. I'm sure the Pegulas could get it done but still there's the potential for him to walk.

Link or it didn't happen.

LA knew about Fasching's family situation and that he had committed to Minnesota to be near home before they drafted him.
One of the Kings' bloggers with access had him rated as an 'untouchable' prospect two weeks before the trade happened.
Fasching was in the trade because Murray asked for him.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Link or it didn't happen.

LA knew about Fasching's family situation and that he had committed to Minnesota to be near home before they drafted him.
One of the Kings' bloggers with access had him rated as an 'untouchable' prospect two weeks before the trade happened.
Fasching was in the trade because Murray asked for him.
Yes I have links from 2 years ago just bookmarked. There was a tweet after he was traded that there was the expectation he would stay full 4 years in College because it was closer to home than Manchester.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Someone mentioned it but, I think Fasching would be best suited in the A next season. Minnesota won't be bad but I think he could make better strides in the pros. I guess his mind is made up though or perhaps TM just hasn't approached him yet (?). I think that's unlikely but, as far as family, you'd think the $$ would help.

Bps21*

Did I read that both Compher and Fasching accelerated their learning so they can get their degrees after junior year? If they do is the contract watch 30 days from then or from when they don't have playing eligibility left?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Someone mentioned it but, I think Fasching would be best suited in the A next season. Minnesota won't be bad but I think he could make better strides in the pros. I guess his mind is made up though or perhaps TM just hasn't approached him yet (?). I think that's unlikely but, as far as family, you'd think the $$ would help.

Yeah that was probably me, I think Fasching would be perfect in the AHL this year but I have no problem with the guy wanting one more crack at a National Championship.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I'm pretty sure the contract thing is 4 years regardless for any college player. Doesn't matter if they accelerate their own personal studies, bit whatever the regular duration is for someone to obtain their degree.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Did I read that both Compher and Fasching accelerated their learning so they can get their degrees after junior year? If they do is the contract watch 30 days from then or from when they don't have playing eligibility left?

Their rights are held through 2017 no matter what. June 1, 2017 if they leave college before January 1, 2017 and August 15, 2017 otherwise

Bps21*

Ok cool. So they are set up to play another season and then walk with their degrees in tow.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ok cool. So they are set up to play another season and then walk with their degrees in tow.

You mean that they'll not sign with the team if they go all four years in college? That's a good bit of crystal ball'ing there if so...

In either case, these players could just be wanting to get their degrees in case a pro hockey career doesn't really work out beyond the AHL or if they're not willing to play internationally awhile until maybe an NHL team comes calling. I remember reading a Justin Bourne article that was sort of on this matter in regards for why he chose playing in college over the Canadian junior leagues.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You mean that they'll not sign with the team if they go all four years in college? That's a good bit of crystal ball'ing there if so...

In either case, these players could just be wanting to get their degrees in case a pro hockey career doesn't really work out beyond the AHL or if they're not willing to play internationally awhile until maybe an NHL team comes calling. I remember reading a Justin Bourne article that was sort of on this matter in regards for why he chose playing in college over the Canadian junior leagues.

It was reported the Sabres told Compher that they felt it was best if he played another year in college. Not sure how much, if at all, Compher wanting his degree played a role in this.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
While JJ is correct, I will also add that with the NCAA becoming a better and better league the incentive to leave college if you know you're just going to the AHL is getting smaller. Especially if you like college (most do), why rush out of that to go spend a year riding around on a bus, making not much money, etc. I wonder how big the talent gap is between the good NCAA conferences and the AHL. Obviously there is one, but I don't know if it's so huge and it makes such a big difference in development. Just some food for thought.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Question: Will his ELC be 3 years long regardless if he signs this summer or next? I'm assuming it is and part of the reason for Sabres management wanting him to go back is to stagger our prospects. This way Dupuy, Bailey and Baptiste all come in next year with Compher and possibly Fasching the year after.

The ELC would be 3 years....but....it could be done like how it was with McCabe where he burned his first year of his ELC coming from college and then playing in buffalo.

If the teams advance to the frozen 4 ( likely same weekend as the last weekend of the season) then the contracts will then start in 16/17. If they opt to sign them and bring them to buffalo in mid march then this will burn the first year..

Other than the one poster who is wrong on just about every topic, did anyone believe that Compher was turning pro after his sophomore year? He needs at least another year before heading to Rochester.

It's not much of a stretch given how he played his freshman year that if he progressed he could turn pro. He seemed to regress this year.

He might. I don't see the need, nor have I understood, some posters' desire to fast track guys like Compher, Fasching, et al - I'm not saying you're one of them, but they do exist. Let them marinate and develop in college for at least three years, then make the decision after their respective junior years. That's all I'm saying.

You don't want to wait till junior year and have them play the 30 day rule to UFA.

I don't see it as fast tracking them if they turn pro after 2 years of college. They are 20... The age they would turn pro if they came from the CHL.

If you are talking of waiting till next year to balance the contracts they way I see it

15/16 Bailey, Baptiste, Dupuy, Reinhart, Eichel
-- likely 2 to sabres, 3 to Rochester
16/17 Compher, Fasching, Possler, karabacek, cornel, Martin, Peterson, Hurley, Florentino, Oloffson
-- likely all to Rochester

Peterson and Hurley can run the 30 day UFA clock in June/July 2017 by announcing intent to turn pro. I'd prefer to sign them next summer. Peterson was 2012 draft eligible...thus 22 to start 16/17 season.

Part of the reason why I'd prefer Compher and Fasching to turn pro for 15/16 would be to balance out the numbers of new roster players.

Florentino could turn pro for 15/16. Buffalo need Rochester Dmen for next year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm pretty sure the contract thing is 4 years regardless for any college player. Doesn't matter if they accelerate their own personal studies, bit whatever the regular duration is for someone to obtain their degree.

It's more complicated than that.

For most it's 4 years.

With McCabe because he was drafted in his freshman year buffalo had his rights through his scheduled graduating year which put it at aug 15, 2015 had he not turned pro...thus only 3 years.

When he declared to turn pro his rights then went to June 1 2016. 4 yrs after his draft year.

If Fasching and Compher were to graduate after their junior year then I'm not certain...I'd have to dig into the CBA. One part is they have their rights for 4 yrs but the another part is august 15 of their graduating class year.

With Peterson and Hurley because both played in the USHL before starting college this means they have their rights through 15 august of their graduating year of 2018....but...they could opt to announce to turn pro after their junior year then the rights revert to June 1 2017 ( 4 yrs after draft year) or 30 days after declaration...which ever is the later date.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
While JJ is correct, I will also add that with the NCAA becoming a better and better league the incentive to leave college if you know you're just going to the AHL is getting smaller. Especially if you like college (most do), why rush out of that to go spend a year riding around on a bus, making not much money, etc. I wonder how big the talent gap is between the good NCAA conferences and the AHL. Obviously there is one, but I don't know if it's so huge and it makes such a big difference in development. Just some food for thought.

AHL may not seem like good money compared to the NHL, but in fact it is great money compared to what they earn at college, and what many of their classmates will make after coming out with a degree.

Secondly, and more importantly to many players, if the AHL is a much more professional style league. Even the worst player on a team was probably a college standout, the coaching, schedule, game prep, etc is all pro oriented

Obviously each player is different, but I would think in any case if you are ready to make the jump it makes sense. If you are not ready you can do your career damage. Based on my viewings at the WJC, Fashing is close, very close. Compher is not.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
AHL may not seem like good money compared to the NHL, but in fact it is great money compared to what they earn at college, and what many of their classmates will make after coming out with a degree.

For reference, Jake McCabe, a player who left college early, had a $70k salary this season playing in the AHL. In addition to that, he also got a $92.5k signing bonus and made an additional ~$4000 every day he spent on the NHL roster.

Jordan Samuels-Thomas had a $65k AHL salary, with a $90k signing bonus. Andrey Makarov had a $55k AHL salary with a $30k signing bonus, and he's at the lower end of the scale for guys on their ELC in the Sabres system this past season.

A guy leaving college early to play professional hockey is likely looking to make six figures before even getting into the possibility of getting a call-up and the increased salary (and potential bonuses) that come with it. Beyond that signing an ELC earlier can lead to earlier restricted free agency (although that's not a guarantee, ELC lengths vary by age) and earlier waiver eligibility.

The financial incentive for a college player to leave early, even if it's just to ride buses in the AHL, is far from negligible.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
For reference, Jake McCabe, a player who left college early, had a $70k salary this season playing in the AHL. In addition to that, he also got a $92.5k signing bonus and made an additional ~$4000 every day he spent on the NHL roster.

Jordan Samuels-Thomas had a $65k AHL salary, with a $90k signing bonus. Andrey Makarov had a $55k AHL salary with a $30k signing bonus, and he's at the lower end of the scale for guys on their ELC in the Sabres system this past season.

A guy leaving college early to play professional hockey is likely looking to make six figures before even getting into the possibility of getting a call-up and the increased salary (and potential bonuses) that come with it. Beyond that signing an ELC earlier can lead to earlier restricted free agency (although that's not a guarantee, ELC lengths vary by age) and earlier waiver eligibility.

The financial incentive for a college player to leave early, even if it's just to ride buses in the AHL, is far from negligible.

If you know you're going to get a contract at some point I'd say it's close to negligible. For guys that aren't so more fringe types it's definitely a different story, though. For those guys you get offered a crack at money you've got to take it.

Also, not for nothing, but if they value the degrees they're getting (some do, some don't, I'm sure), cost of living + tuition at many of those top schools is probably somewhere right around $50k per year, all covered for them.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Has anyone seen anything more definitive regarding Fasching aside from the tweet saying he's looking forward to next season with the guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad