Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Linus Omark for conditional sixth

Rebirth

Oct 20, 2012
Omark is back. Hopefully this is tomorrows lineup!

Line rushes:
Omark-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Hodgson-D'Agostini
Flynn-Girgensons-Varone
Ellis-Konopka-Scott
Foligno, Leino, McCormick extras

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

Line rushes:
Omark-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Hodgson-D'Agostini
Flynn-Girgensons-Varone
Ellis-Konopka-Scott

I hope those aren't the lines (though @BuffaloSabres seems to be reporting them as such, sigh). I mean, some good changes, sure, but it still doesn't account for the fact Ott-Hodgson do not a dynamic duet make, Girgs has more to give than carrying Flynn, Ennis is not a center where it goes to faceoffs or playmaking, etc.

Oh well. At least it appears that Leino will be in the press box and so unable to ruin every entry into the offensive zone.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm

Line rushes:
Omark-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Hodgson-D'Agostini
Flynn-Girgensons-Varone
Ellis-Konopka-Scott

I simply dont understand what Nolan is doing, scratch a guy for 3 games and then throw him on to the first line rusty...

Good for Linus anyway (although being setup to fail, at least he will have a shift or two with real players) and I hope he will get more than 3 shifts / period on that line this time.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I simply dont understand what Nolan is doing, scratch a guy for 3 games and then throw him on to the first line rusty...

Good for Linus anyway (although being setup to fail, at least he will have a shift or two with real players) and I hope he will get more than 3 shifts / period on that line this time.

I think it comes down to that Omark is best suited for either a top 6-type role.....or nothing. He's not a guy like Foligno or Ott or Girgensons that can rotate through pretty much any line and not look terribly out of place.

He's not suited to play a bottom 6 role at all, so maybe Nolan is just admitting that and giving him a chance in the top 6.......while benching Leino (and it looks like Foligno too).

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

He's doing the right thing, just a game late, not that it really matters. The Sabres 'top' line isn't exactly a focal point of opposing teams right now, especially with Moulson out. I don't think there's much pressure on Omark stepping into that line, and it gives him some talented linemates which he needs to be effective. I'd probably have preferred to see him on Hodgson's wing and put Ott with Ennis, but oh well.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

Yet is it really everyone else's fault that Omark is not finding success in Buffalo? Eventually we might need to concede he lacks the full compliment of tools that would make him an effective NHLer. I'm glad we gave it try but I don't see the beginnings of a beautiful relationship.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm even more impressed that Nolan scratched Leino than I am that he's actually playing Omark and on the top line (for the first shift, anyhow :laugh:). I was wondering what Leino had to do to get scratched. He's just consistently brutal. He was abused last game. I'd strongly consider sending him home so that there's no chance we aren't able to buy him out this summer.

Say what you want about Omark, but there's no good reason not to play him over Leino for an extended period, with the kind of linemates Leino has had the majority of the time.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I hope those aren't the lines (though @BuffaloSabres seems to be reporting them as such, sigh). I mean, some good changes, sure, but it still doesn't account for the fact Ott-Hodgson do not a dynamic duet make, Girgs has more to give than carrying Flynn, Ennis is not a center where it goes to faceoffs or playmaking, etc.

Oh well. At least it appears that Leino will be in the press box and so unable to ruin every entry into the offensive zone.
In 10 days Girgs is going to play in Sochi. Because the Latvian team lacks depth at center, he's most likely not going to play on wing.

Obviously, I'm speculating, but that might be the reason why he's going to play a couple of matches there going into the Olympic break.

TheWarriorSwe

Sep 14, 2013
Stavanger
Yet is it really everyone else's fault that Omark is not finding success in Buffalo? Eventually we might need to concede he lacks the full compliment of tools that would make him an effective NHLer. I'm glad we gave it try but I don't see the beginnings of a beautiful relationship.
I agree with you, well sorta. Omark havnt got a good look yet. However its wrong to complain he gets first line minutes.. Hey thats really great this is his chance to show himself he is worth starting.

Aslong as he gets a game or two playing discent time, noone can blame anyone but himself. And god he should be pumped if he does end up getting first line minutes against Edmonton.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Omark playing his former team, top line minutes against a team with an AHL defense. Breakout game, keep that bum Leino in the press box.

Watching Leino play peeves me to no end.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
I agree with you, well sorta. Omark havnt got a good look yet. However its wrong to complain he gets first line minutes.. Hey thats really great this is his chance to show himself he is worth starting.

Aslong as he gets a game or two playing discent time, noone can blame anyone but himself. And god he should be pumped if he does end up getting first line minutes against Edmonton.

Im just wondering about the lack of consistency, what is the plan? Why would you possibly coach the way Nolan is if you actually had a plan...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Omark isn't getting a fair chance! Fire Nolan!

Wait what? He's getting a shot on the 1st line? Umm........ Omark is being set up to fail! He's..... umm ....rusty?! Yeah that's it he's rusty!!!! Fire Nolan!

I get posters griping that Scott played instead of Omark. But complaining that he is getting set up to fail by getting put on the 1st line is silly. Particularly "the argument" that he is rusty.

If this happens he is getting a great chance to show something.

Last edited:

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Omark isn't getting a fair chance! Fire Nolan!

Wait what? He's getting a shot on the 1st line? Umm........ Omark is being set up to fail! He's..... umm ....rusty?! Yeah that's it he's rusty!!!! Fire Nolan!

I get posters griping that Scott played instead of Omark. But complaining that he is getting set up to fail by getting put on the 1st line is silly. Particularly "the argument" that he is rusty.

If he hasnt a game played a game for some time, of course he will have problem with the pace and timing. You can easily see that on teams who had a few days off playing vs teams who hadn't. If he hadn't been scratched for 3 games it would have been a great opportunity but this is simply odd. If Nolan planned to have him play top line minutes and pace vs a speedy team like Edmonton, he couldn't have made his preparation worse.

Thats what i find odd! Im surprised you dont, is it a common thing in Sabres to scratch players for a week or so and then put them on the 1st line?

TheWarriorSwe

Sep 14, 2013
Stavanger
Im just wondering about the lack of consistency, what is the plan? Why would you possibly coach the way Nolan is if you actually had a plan...
I dont think there is a plan at the moment. Lets face it, Buffalo isnt in the winning games bussines at the moment. They are in the evaluate and get a high pick game.

Leino is a good example of that, i really doubt he playes second line because Nolan thinks his game is great. I think he does because at this point he has a 4.5mill contract and if he can go on a tear they can flip him for a bag of pucks at trade deadline.

Nolan is giving Omark a shoot at the first line, its a great shoot for him and while he havnt really gotten any really good chance to show himself yet, this is definitly one. And i see no reason why they wouldnt give him more chances than this one.

What do they have to loose? a 6th round pick? Loosing hockey games? Omark doesnt change the state of the buffalo sabres therefor am sure they are gonna take a good look at what they have in him before they try to send him down.
Thats what i find odd! Im surprised you dont, is it a common thing in Sabres to scratch players for a week or so and then put them on the 1st line?
While i agree with you that this situation isnt optimal for Omark. You are completly right about timing and pace.
And sure i would be pissed if Omark gets one shift is sent down to the fourth line and end up with less than 8min playing time..
But unless that actually happends, lets not act like it will.

But also, sometimes when the world gives you sour grapes one can turn it into a sweet sour wine.
This is a chance for Omark, if we ask Omark would you rather sit tomorow or play first line minutes?
I think he takes the first line minutes everyday all day all of the time even if its not optimal.

Last edited:

Nacho

Special
Aug 8, 2005
I'm with matte... If omark actually gets some top line min and he has an average game... then that will be that, coach will say he got a "chance" on the top line and he will be scratched again...:laugh:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I'm with matte... If omark actually gets some top line min and he has an average game... then that will be that, coach will say he got a "chance" on the top line and he will be scratched again...:laugh:
This isn't SEL. A lot of players don't ever get a chance to play on the top line, ever.

Omark isn't exactly a junior and he hasn't showed anything spectacular during his stay in the Sabres, so it would make perfect sense if he was scratched and wouldn't stay on the team (or the NHL) for too long, if he doesn't produce anything in the next couple of matches.

What we know right now is that he's not suited to a bottom 6 role. And that doesn't do him any good as far as the chances of him becoming a regular NHLer go.

Sabres is a rebuilding team with a lot of cap space and a number of prospects and future draft picks who are all in a pretty long waiting list for a shot in the big league. No one's going to pamper an AHL player on an NHL team, especially not if it costs a future draft pick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Omark is the new Leino to me.

The guy that doesn't really produce anything, yet has people defending him and saying that it's the coach's fault that he doesn't get a reasonable shot.

Or maybe Omark is just one of those guys that has enough talent to put up points in lower leagues, but just can't do it at the NHL level. He wouldn't be the first or the last...

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Omark is the new Leino to me.

The guy that doesn't really produce anything, yet has people defending him and saying that it's the coach's fault that he doesn't get a reasonable shot.

Or maybe Omark is just one of those guys that has enough talent to put up points in lower leagues, but just can't do it at the NHL level. He wouldn't be the first or the last...

Who is defending Leino?

Omark's numbers may not be there, but he has looked fine - especially on the PP. There's no reason that such an abysmal offensive team should be dressing John Scott over Omark.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
This isn't SEL. A lot of players don't ever get a chance to play on the top line, ever.

Omark isn't exactly a junior and he hasn't showed anything spectacular during his stay in the Sabres, so it would make perfect sense if he was scratched and wouldn't stay on the team (or the NHL) for too long, if he doesn't produce anything in the next couple of matches.

What we know right now is that he's not suited to a bottom 6 role. And that doesn't do him any good as far as the chances of him becoming a regular NHLer go.

Sabres is a rebuilding team with a lot of cap space and a number of prospects and future draft picks who are all in a pretty long waiting list for a shot in the big league. No one's going to pamper an AHL player on an NHL team, especially not if it costs a future draft pick.

Omark has produced in NHL. He has played some good games in Sabres where he could have had a 3-4 points. Omark isn't a Crosby or Malkin, who can carry a line but if you put him with decent players who understand how to play with him he can be a very productive piece, making the whole line much better. He even made MPS loke like a scorer during his rookie season. ;)

Watching the interview with Nolan makes me think he wont get much time on the ice anyway. Nolan wants him to play with more grit (which is ok i guess) but what Nolan should be wanting to see is Omark playing more with the puck on his stick. For that to happen he needs to have players around him who doesn't throw the puck away. It is that simple.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Who is defending Leino?

There may not be anyone defending Leino now, but he has had plenty of them earlier in his Sabres career.

Omark's numbers may not be there, but he has looked fine - especially on the PP. There's no reason that such an abysmal offensive team should be dressing John Scott over Omark.

Is John Scott playing on a scoring line?

The Omark remarks from some here are talking about his need to play on a scoring line and not in a 4th line role like Scott fills.

Scott SHOULD be playing 4th line minutes over Omark.

If Omark isn't good enough to play on a scoring line, then he should be scratched.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Omark has produced in NHL. He has played some good games in Sabres where he could have had a 3-4 points. Omark isn't a Crosby or Malkin, who can carry a line but if you put him with decent players who understand how to play with him he can be a very productive piece, making the whole line much better. He even made MPS loke like a scorer during his rookie season. ;)

Watching the interview with Nolan makes me think he wont get much time on the ice anyway. Nolan wants him to play with more grit (which is ok i guess) but what Nolan should be wanting to see is Omark playing more with the puck on his stick. For that to happen he needs to have players around him who doesn't throw the puck away. It is that simple.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=94565

77 NHL GP 32 points

That isn't producing a whole heck of a lot.

Although, that is better than Leino's 40 pts in 116 games as a Sabre....

Rebirth

Oct 20, 2012
This is the most important game of the season for Omark. If he produces tonight against the Oilers nr:1 abysmal d pairings there might be a slim chance that he'll get a chance during the reminder of the season.

However the most likely outcome tonight is that Omark is benched 10 minutes into the second period and Zemgus is moved up to the first line.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=94565

77 NHL GP 32 points

That isn't producing a whole heck of a lot.

Although, that is better than Leino's 40 pts in 116 games as a Sabre....

He got main part of those points playing on a scoring line during his rookie season (because of injuries). He had 27 pts in 51 games and was ppg the last 10+ games of his rookie season.

After that 1st season Edmonton did exactly what Nolan is doing, putting him on 3rd/4th line with no hope in hell to get a pass or having someone who can finish a play.

Its understandable considering that hey had RNH, Hall, Ebs, Hemsky and a young MPS, all with a more rounded game. Why Nolan is doing it with this line up is hard to tell, with Omark his team would look better and be more fun to watch. Omark is also playing better defense now than he did in Edm even though he wasnt always to blame for the GA, Edm D was the worst ive ever seen on a NHL team.

Last edited:

Rebirth

Oct 20, 2012
He got main part of those points playing on a scoring line during his rookie season (because of injuries). He had 27 pts in 51 games and was ppg the last 10+ games of his rookie season.

After that 1st season Edmonton did exactly what Nolan is doing, putting him on 3rd/4th line with no hope in hell to get a pass or having someone who can finish a play.

I guess Nolan just can't stand watching him since he's not bringing any "energy" or playing "gritty". My guess is that even if he produces tonight he'll be back in the press box asp. Nolan is an old style north/south kinda coach and Omark will never fit into his system even if he creates points or chances. In my mind Omark should go back to Europe not because he can't play N/A hockey but rather because he's better suited for bigger ice surface. When he's playing over in NHL he's wasting his talent imo since he'll never become a "power forward".

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Ok Matte99, ok Rebirth..... At what point do YOU say to yourselves ...

Omark has had a fair shake in Buffalo, he is what he is, it's just time to cut ties with Omark on the Sabres.

At some point most fans say that about most players. Take Leino for example, some wanted him gone 15 games into his contract. Some wanted him gone after his first season. Some wanted him gone after the second season. Almost everyone wants him gone after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad