Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Joseph Cecconi from Dallas for Oskari Laaksonen

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
2017 was such a good-looking Sabres draft class circa May, 2018.

Mittelstadt was at peak hype.
Davidsson hadn't busted yet.
UPL was heading to the OHL and looked good.
Laaksonen was a surprise WJC performer.
Bryson was a notable D at Providence.
Weissbach was near ppg at Wisconsin.

It could be a clean sweep of no NHL impact, sans Mittelstadt, who's following the Tyson Jost trajectory (he'll get traded, then eventually waived).

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
51 points in 109 ahl games doesn't seem bad?

I mean, he is a defenseman right?

Somewhat surprised we gave up on him.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I have been way down on Laak forever, so I'm glad that got something for him. Wouldn't be so quick to rule out that Dallas was doing their guy a favor moving him closer to home before cutting bait. Which would be a stand-up move if true.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
2017 was such a good-looking Sabres draft class circa May, 2018.

Mittelstadt was at peak hype.
Davidsson hadn't busted yet.
UPL was heading to the OHL and looked good.
Laaksonen was a surprise WJC performer.
Bryson was a notable D at Providence.
Weissbach was near ppg at Wisconsin.

It could be a clean sweep of no NHL impact, sans Mittelstadt, who's following the Tyson Jost trajectory (he'll get traded, then eventually waived).

Eh, broad brush for "no" impact. They've gotten some games out of players taken outside of the first round and that's been rare for this team for a long time.

51 points in 109 ahl games doesn't seem bad?

I mean, he is a defenseman right?

Somewhat surprised we gave up on him.

Defenseman implies playing defense. Laaksonen is not good player in his own zone. He is relatively weak due to never having put on much mass (still listed at 165 lbs at 6'3") so he gets consumed in physical confrontations. His positioning and decision making in his own zone is not a strength. He does have a good shot and is capable at finding the open man on the PP but that's his only positive abilities. They have equal or better players at the AHL level in Davies, Prow, and when down there Pilut and Clague.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Doesn’t make much sense to me. Kevyn is reading the boards thinking, shit, I’ve got to make a trade.

Makes a ton of sense if you look at it from a Rochester POV.

Rochester desperately needs a defense-first defenseman and Cecconi is proven in that regard. Laaksonen isn't playing, so getting a useful body for him is a bonus,

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The number of people who don't realize that improving Rochester is also an important and worthy goal is astounding. But because this deal will have no impact at the NHL level it makes no sense...

The Amerks will be better off because of this. It isn't always about the shiny prospects...

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Wait, I was told there was no trades cause its Christmas?

I remember when Laaksenon was playing in Europe. He was being penciled in as a top 4. How he has fallen.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

I remember when Laaksenon was playing in Europe. He was being penciled in as a top 4. How he has fallen.
No one told you it was salary cap ?

I believe the roster freeze starts Sunday night until New Years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Eh, these are the sort of early season deals that are fairly normal. There aren't a lot of 'em, but they do happen. Dallas actually saves a little in real money on this based on their AHL salaries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad