Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Joseph Cecconi from Dallas for Oskari Laaksonen

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Laaksonen was not on many draft lists at the time right ?, worth a swing I suppose, but wasted 3rd in the end. Anyone after him the draftniks liked ?

Cecconi 2012-14 Buffalo Jr Sabre from Youngstown
Whats the skinny, local, defensive guy for Roch ?

Last edited:

Mr Orangeshirt

Dec 12, 2008
Xville,TN
butwhy.gif

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Laaksonen was not on many draft lists at the time right ?, worth a swing I suppose, but wasted 3rd in the end. Anyone after him the draftniks liked ?

Cecconi 2012-14 Buffalo Jr Sabre from Youngstown
Whats the skinny, local, defensive guy for Roch ?

FWIW the first 100+ games played player drafted after him is Bryson.
Only so many NHL regulars drafted in the 4th round, Anderson (LAK), Bryson and Batherson are probably the most notable right now.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

From his first full pro year -

- Had off-season surgery to clean up damage from his 4th year at Michigan.
- Broke in as a partner of current Jacket Gavin Bayreuther

“He’s just very trustworthy, you know?” Bayreuther said. “You know what you’re going to get from him, and I think that’s something that makes it awesome and fun play with. He is a defensive-minded guy, and he’s always there. He reads well what his partner is going to do.”

He was the safety valve for Werenski for a year, then Quinn Hughes for two.

I caught up with Hughes last March in Vancouver, and he discussed what Cecconi did for him as a defensive partner.

“He can definitely skate, and I think once he gets into pro hockey more people will see that,” Hughes said. “You have to be able to skate well and have a good understanding when someone else jumps into the play. So I think he kind of fits the pro game. He really does.”

“The word I keep going back to is reliable, because he is,” Werenski added. “You always know when you have the puck he’s gonna be back there. A guy that’s open, that’s available and gonna make the right play defensively.”

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Not going to help either team unfortunately.
Two defensive players that will continue to fight for playing spots with younger more promising guys.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Stars board says that maybe Cecconi could handle a game or two at the NHL level, but he's really an AHL-level guy.

One poster thinks he might be headed overseas after the year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As far as Amerk deals go, color me pleased. He's some of what they don't have in terms of mobile applied size and someone who is defense-first on a team filled with puck moving defensemen.

I'm also mildly amused that the Stars now have both Lundqvist and now the economy version in Laaksonen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not going to help either team unfortunately.
Two defensive players that will continue to fight for playing spots with younger more promising guys.

It helps the Amerks. Their defense is almost as much of a mess as Buffalo's is. They need someone other than just Bartkowski who can play in their own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad